Silicone caulk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone caulk

Am I the only one who hates silicone caulk? I hate it sooooo much. Impossible to do a good job with it and a giant pain to remove. Did two clogged urinal lines today. Had to remove them from the wall to jet the lines. Took three hours. At least an hour of that was getting all the slathered on silicone off the wall and the urinals so I could do a decent job caulking after reinstalling them.

Also, who uses wax rings for urinals? I find tank to bowl gaskets are sooooo much better. Whoever went before me also used wax and they both leaked when I got there.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I agree. 100% silicone is no fun.

I use acrylic with silicone and it's water based. Easy to tool and clean up too.

Urinals I prefer the foam style tank to bowl style gasket too. Of course with a brass nipple or sch 80 PVC nipple.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I avoid silicone caulk, it's just not worth it to me. You got to do a lot of caulking to get good at it and I just don't do it enough. At least with siliconized latex caulk its more forgiving and way easier to clean up and if you mess up you can clean up and start over if need be.

Comment

rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle will make cleanup a lot easier,

To make it easier to spread silicone caulking:

1. Put denatured alcohol in a plant mister type spray bottle.
          2. Use a caulking gun to apply a bead of 100% silicone caulk to the joint.
          3. Apply a fine mist of denatured alcohol to the caulking bead using the spray bottle.
          4. Use your finger to smooth the bead of caulking with your finger before the alcohol evaporates.
          https://www.todayshomeowner.com/vide...ilicone-caulk/
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I use masking tape on either side of the bead to control the mess. All the excess caulk ends up on the tape. When I'm done, I pull the tape off and left with a nice bead. Of course it takes time to do this especially if the object is circular - I make a circle out of multiple small sections - but it beats the mess that results without it.

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              Sometimes we have to use silicone at work and for those special occasions we also use masking tape even though it tends to draw laughter from the glaziers. A good tip is to use soapy water and your finger. Dawn soap at about 25% concentration and keep your finger wet as you tool the bead. It works well with modified latex caulk also.

I don't mind putting on real silicone but I have found a better product. Mono Pro silicone, it doesn't dry up in the tip of the tube even after months of using it on and off, it states ready in 30 minutes and it is easier to apply. I use very little to make a finish bead and most times you don't even see there's any of it.

What I don't understand is when people call me to re-caulk a tub surround the bead is literally unglued and somehow unstuck. I pull it out like a string and only need to wipe the surface clean to put another bead. It's not silicone is it, or is latex caulk?

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              I've only seen that with a latex caulk. I feel that happens when the surface isn't adequately cleaned first as well as placing the bead and not tooling it in place so it's sort of just floating in place. Tooling or pressing into place is key.

I don't think I've ever seen silicone delaminate and in fact is a real PIA to remove.

I manly use siliconized latex but I always carry QUAD clear in the van if you?ve never used it is great it?s an exterior a door and window caulk (Lowe?s and Home Depot sale it) I started using it on rental homes around showers holds up well over the long run it?s a bear to remove but it cuts away well unlike silicone I also use it to set toilets and urinals in gas stations and other commercial jobs.

Comment

Ace Sewer, this is not for applying silicone but for removing it. I had a couple of old porcelain sinks and I tried to remove the caulking with a putty knife what a bear. I got out my 4 1/2" grinder installed a new flap disc and removed the hardened old caulking so I would have a good surface to re-caulk and install the sinks. It was a lot quicker of course I was outside and dust and debris flew everywhere. I think a multi tool with a sharp putty knife blade would probably work pretty well for the removal of old caulking.

Comment

Mineral Sprits make clean up of silicone simple. I use 100% rtv silicone. Clear PVC cleaner removes it also.

Comment

"I think a multi tool with a sharp putty knife blade would probably work pretty well for the removal of old caulking."

That has worked for me. I use my JobMax with a sharp scraper blade, works well.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

Working...
                  X