Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use to cut down toilet mounting bolts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use to cut down toilet mounting bolts?

Sawzall often too violent. I get impatient with a hacksaw. Bought a Dremel thinking that'd be the ticket but I get about one bolt cut before the centers break out of their junky (and surprisingly expensive) cutoff wheels.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

You ever try these in your dremel? Might last a little longer.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hestya-Diamon...ustomerReviews

Comment

• Ace Sewer
      Ace Sewer commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. If you use and like them I'll try them.

• d_slat
      d_slat commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not tried or used them. Just thought they would be better for your application than the dremel abrasive wheels.

• Ace Sewer
      Ace Sewer commented
      Editing a comment
      for the $10 i ordered some to see. haven't tried yet but look ok.

I use a small hacksaw called a tiny tim. Have cut 10k plus bolts this way.

You could try using the nylon bolts or the real expensive self adjusting brass bolts that use an expensive coupling that self adjust.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We use a portable band saw to cut down bolts up to 3/4" thick. Millwaukee has a small band saw (M12) that's ideal for this, Hitachi has similar one. The down side is its kind of overkill. Sometimes when we don't want to drag out a bandsaw we just use a hacksaw with a fine blade.
      Last edited by Mightyservant; 02-10-2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

a small toothed sawzall blade in a handle

Click image for larger version

Name:	ddc9-sSkFz_-w4bMF5sQ8ughXd2ic_ZDi3pJ41J-pGqXbPOGxNAuoih2mcqZ_PQqWoQoNIADNKSVVnhRDG-P6DWO26rkRjs4_wRA8Gw_uQNo47u2k7WWZrSxohkb6BU76khLZXD9mrRYNnG-rK1xRPORj9zq23bCjEgyuXxLZ9cRVLEHNW-4w7cGEGMs8b0AjAzkIK5HH7Tgi48yTJk=s500-pd-e365-pc0xffffff.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	738046
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

You could try using the real expensive self adjusting brass bolts that use an expensive coupling that self adjust.

Rick.
          Those are pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mightyservant View Post
            We use a portable band saw to cut down bolts from up 3/4" thick. Millwaukee has a small band saw (M12) that's ideal for this, Hitachi has similar one. The down side is its kind of overkill. Sometimes when we don't want to drag out a bandsaw we just use a hacksaw with a fine blade.
            A bandsaw for toilet bolts! That made me CRY with laughter!

I use a mini hacksaw. Yes I love nylon bolts which provides me work when they loosen or break. I love it, Chaching!

https://www.amazon.com/LENOX-Tools-H.../dp/B00024380S
            Last edited by Pro Service; 02-10-2019, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I always used what we called a 'cheese saw', now I have a Lenox folding utility saw which holds a standard recip saw blade. I usually have a 14T metal blade mounted for cutting small stuff like closet bolts.

Never tried it but I wonder how well a RIDGID JobMax or Fein Multimaster or any brand multitool with metal cutting blade.

I would have liked to have had one of those when I was trimming out hotels with 500 plus rooms. Seems they always bought the 5/16 closet bolts which take just that much longer to cut.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
                Mightyservant commented
                Editing a comment
                If you can clamp your work piece down I feel a multi tool works as good as anything else. For me it gets a little harder if your holding the peice your cutting. I cut a 3/4" nut in half this weekend with a bandsaw (don't ask) holding the nut I think I would struggle to do the same with a multi tool.

• PLUMBER RICK
                PLUMBER RICK commented
                Editing a comment
                An oscillating cutter will shake the heck out of the bolt and loosen the nut. They also make brass closet bolts that are pre scored that will allow you to snap them off.

Rick.

DOH! You're both right, I didn't think about the bolt being loosened by the oscillating tool. It would not work well if at all.

I never had much luck breaking closet bolts that have the score mark you mention.

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
                Mightyservant commented
                Editing a comment
                On renovations it's been an extremly useful tool to cut into existing plaster, framing, stucco, without disturbing adjoining materials. As you wrote the "cheese saw" for me is often handier than setting up the multi tool for finishing a cut on sheets or that odd cut.
                Last edited by Mightyservant; 02-12-2019, 11:21 AM.

Some use a grinder. Now with batteries it's a little more feasible.

Comment

Pair of 18 inch bolt cutters will get it done no sweat!

----

Comment

I don't cut the bolts anymore on white toilets. I found some extra tall bolt caps made by souix chief. Very helpful. If it is a colored toilet then I use my milwaukee cordless rotary tool with a heavy duty wheel. It will handle both cuts and more.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I switched to the adjustable closet bolts around eight years ago. I don't miss cutting the bolts at all.

Comment

I always dry set the bowl without the wax rings to make sure it will sit flat on the floor. I mark where the bolts need to be cut, remove the bowl, cut the bolts and reinstall the bowl with the wax ring.

Comment

• Mightyservant
                        Mightyservant commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What do you cut them with?

any thoughts on these? https://www.zoro.com/knipex-mini-bol...00/i/G4782793/
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X