Need a thicker Toilet Wax Ring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a thicker Toilet Wax Ring

My "Extra Thick Wax Ring" is not big enough to seal between the toilet and the Flange. It is 1-1/4" thick and the measurement of a flange to tile floor is 3/4" and the bottom of the toilet is 1/2" inset from the bottom rim, so it seems all I need to cover is "Margin of Error".

Is there an even thicker wax ring or should I cut the second one in half like a bagel and push it on the top?

(I would ask if I need a new tool for something, but no spare cash)

Thanks for your help.

Just insert 1 ring into the second ring. Buy the one with the plastic horn.

Out here 99% of our toilet flanges are 4" and we use 4" wax rings. Seems like most of the country is 3".. So check if yours is 3" or 4" and purchase the correct ring.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Fluidmaster better than wax seal kit.
      Might need to buy two.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by " there's 3/4" from the flange to the tile." A standard closet flange has a 3/8" upper surface that sits on top of the finished floor. i.e., the surface where you put the wax ring is proud of the finished floor by 3/8". If the wax is not thick enough.. You're saying that the flange is 3/4" below the finished floor. Yes? I'm sorry. You've met the problem with flooring contractors/homeowners/inspectors. Over time new floors are added on top of existing floors without raising the flange to the proper height. You can see why it's left undone. It can be a hassle. But, it's crucial that it be done. I mean that it's the professional plumber duty to do. You can use two bowl waxes, a wax with a plastic horn and a regular wax, or various combinations of those. But it isn't right, will never be right and any self respecting plumber should insist that it be done properly.If the horn that's part of the bowl is not inside the throat of the flange... it will leak. Maybe not today or tomorrow or a year from now, but it will leak. I've been a plumber since 1976, and a improperly installed closet flange is responsible for more destroyed bathrooms than any other plumbing error. Period.

Comment

Working...
        X