Sidewalk Sleever - Anybody Used One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidewalk Sleever - Anybody Used One?

I want to get a sprinkler line and also a conduit for landscape lighting under a concrete sidewalk.
    I'd like to do it without water and was found this in my search. Has anyone used one and if so
    any problems? Seems pretty straight forward and actually I was thinking I could make one from
    a digging bar. Grind the end down to a point and weld a 1/4 or 3/8 steel washer just below the
    head for the pipe to bear against.

In the video it appears to go fast but I know it all depends on soil conditions and what's under the slab.

"It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

I bought an attachment which goes on a PCV pipe like this but the idea was to also inject water through so that the soil would become soft and make it easier to push the pipe through.

Never ended up using it - which I bought as part of a major backyard remodel - but I think you are correct in that it really depends on what you have in your soil. Around here we have huge rocks and boulders (river rock) as part of our soil so the chance of success is low. For example it is almost impossible to dig our soil manually - you need a jackhammer since we have clay soil (hard when dry) and the rocks and boulders.

But it could be worth a try especially if you have relatively pure soil without rocks etc. Of course there could be construction debris under the slab which could complicate things.

Comment

Here in southern NJ there is very little rock. We have clay close to the3 surface which can be difficult to dig.

Actually any place a sidewalk has been placed the ground has probably been worked and unless as you said
      construction debris has been swept under the rug so to speak it should be easy going.

I'd rather not use water since that could open up a void under the slab which may cause problems later.
      Maybe I'm being too cautious but driving this looks fairly quick and easy and you'd have to dig the trench
      on either side if you were doing the water jet method so no extra work there.

I have a driveway about 24 feet wide that I want to get a pipe under too but I don't think driving it is the
      way to go there because of the distance and also more likely to hit stone or compacted fill under the asphalt.
      But that driveway needs to be taken up and redone so I think it best to wait until then which a year or two
      away according to my house project schedule. I want to replace both the front and back porches before that
      and they are brick so that will be a job.

----

Comment

one could probably just take a steel pipe and cap both ends, or get get a well driving cap for the driven end, if wanted and drive it under the walk, If a point was wanted one could use a reducing coupler and neck it down that way, to more of a point, after driving the pipe through remove the caps or reducing couplings, if wanted one could use a hydraulic jack to push it through the soil under the walk,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Borzit has worked for Me for Years
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

• rooterboy
            rooterboy commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the the borzit also use a right angle drill and water had gone through most sidewalks and some driveways, David

BOrzit does us water but it is no where like jetting it,
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks everyone. There is one other issue to deal with when I get to the driveway, and that is all my
            utilities run under the drive and are perpendicular to my intended path. Electric, cable, phone, all are
            under the drive. They have been located many times by myself and others, so I know where they are.

Just something that I would have to work near and wouldn't want to damage, especially the electric !!

----

Comment

first I have never tried this in this manner, but in replanting trees, I made a short auger to drill holes to replant trees in a plastic weed barrier, similar to a bulb planter, I just used a heavy 1/2 cordless drill.

I would think one could lengthening the shaft and "auger" a hole under it and place a pile in it,
              just do not let the auger screw in to the hole (hard to remove), keep it spinning and let it remove the dirt, once one gets past the screw in depth one will need to pull it back to remove the earth often,
              possibly some ting like this, https://www.amazon.com/Non-Slip-Gard...a-786051956115

once you have the hole slide as large of pipe in it as possible,

if the earth has some moisture in it it should auger fairly easily,

I drill "auger" holes 10" in diameter and 4 feet deep for post holes all over the farm, using the tractor and post hole auger, but then I made a post driver and when there is moisture in the earth I can pound them in as well.
              Last edited by BHD; 07-28-2019, 08:42 AM.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Bob D.
                Bob D. commented
                Editing a comment
                I was thinking of something like this but size the auger to run inside a pipe. I found another one that is 1.5" diameter. Could use 1/2" pipe as a drive shaft and add length as needed. When it pokes out the other side just unscrew the auger, no need to bring it back the way it came.

I'd like to turn my PHD on it's side and use the tractors' power that but that would be overkill.

No matter how you do it ensuring that the path stays level is paramount so as to avoid hitting the power cable. The only way to kill the power would be to have the utility come and disconnect the drop to our house at the transformer which is about 175 feet away. It all runs underground, plus the telephone and TV Cable.

What's the best settings on my SR-20 to find the TV cable?

i have a high pressure jetter setup that uses 30'' sections of 1'' boring pipe with 3000- 4000# of pressure, and a small jet nozzle the steel boring pipes can be aimed and stay online. I've steered the lines over 20' with grade and direction. using high pressure, it uses less water to penetrate and move the clay out of its path.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Whenever I need to do trenchless, I get a horizontal driller to run the pipe for me. As long as it's a straight line, they can just go and go.

Comment

Working...
                X