Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump issue

Hi folks,

My basement sump pump automated switch was not functioning. Due to heavey rain, I got some water in basement.

I got the float switch from Home Depot and replaced it. Now it works but the pump is running for 2-3 hrs continously.

After looking at this, I could see there are two pipes in the sump container that are main source for pouring wated into the container.

BUT I SAW SOME CRACKS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CONTAINER WHERE WATER WAS CONSTANTLY COMING IN AND THUS ACTIVATING THE PUMP AND KEEPING IT RUNNING FOR 2-3 HRS.

I want to know if
    A. Should I replace the container or add some water proofing material to take care of the cracks?

B. The container is fit and cemented into the basement. If I have to replace it then it's going to be a nasty job to take it out and replace with new one.

Any suggestion would be really helpful.

Thanks and Wish you all a very happy new year!

- UD

It sounds like you have a lot of ground water issues when it rains. If your pump pit is cracked and allowing water to enter it is simply doing the same thing your foundation drain is doing(the two larger pipes allowing water to enter the pit). Only the water entering through the cracks of your pit is lower than the foundation drain. If this water only enters the pit after heavy rain then I would let your pump continue to get rid of the water under your floor.

Since you only have large amounts of ground water when it rains you need to check your gutters and down spouts to be sure the water from your roof is not draining along your basement walls. Another source of too much rain water run off is the grading around your home. Check to be sure your yard slopes away from your home or that there are no low spots where water can pool and then drain along your basement walls.

The only way to properly seal a vessel such as a sump pit is with an expensive epoxy that is not available to the general public (to my knowledge). Every other fix is a makeshift bandaid. from your post my my guess is your system is doing what it is supposed to do. Seriously, check your gutter system and grading.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
    X