X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet crack

A friend of mine gave me the link for this site, so I hope you can give me a hand. I was intalling a new flusing system system in a residential toilet I was working on. On the last step I was attaching the handle to the arm with the soft metal tentioning ring. I turned it one turn too far and put a 10' hair line crack in it. I don't see any serious integrity issues but there is a minor dribble. I was wondering if there was a product out there I could use to seal it from the inside?

I'd appreciate any and all help you can offer.

Thanks

Josh

Josh,

I'm NOT a plumber, and although there probably are a few sealers/adhesives, I'm not sure I would recommend doing a repair, especially in view of the fact that replacement tanks (or an entire new toilet) are generally not that expensive.

My sister-in-law had a tank split open on them a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if it "just happened" or whether it had been repaired at some time before they bought the home.

In any case, it split while they were at work and not only did it dump the tank, but as you can imagine, with the float valve now wide open, it ran until they got home at 6:00 pm. They were greeted with water running out from under the entry door to the kitchen. The bathroom was on the second floor, above the kitchen, it soaked the upstairs floor, causing the old floor to warp, ran into the hallway, collasped the kitchen ceiling, ran through the cabinets, and soaked the kitchen carpet, etc., etc., etc.!

Major damage! Took a long time to dry things out and required a major amount of work to be done... replacing ceiling, floors, a couple of cabinets, and damaged drywall. Don't know the exact cost of the whole thing, but for the sake of a comparatively inexpensive tank, they ended up spending thousands of $.

For what it's worth,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 01-05-2006, 04:18 PM.

Comment

If you have a crack in the tank you really need to replace it. A replacement tank will cost almost as much as a new toilet so I strongly reccommend a complete new set up.

An epoxy might hold for a short time but it will eventually fail. If it fails when you are not home, as CWSmith mentioned, it can be a costly affair. There are all sorts of different brands and styles so do your homework and then choose one that you like. ToTo makes a great flushing toilet as does American Standard. There are other good brands as well. This is something you should expect to last for 30 years or so (unless someone breaks it, just razzing a bit) and as such you really need to spend the money and get a good one. Those 50 and 70 dollar cheapos you see in the box stores are NOT worth your money, time and effort.

No offense but with your current track record, consider hiring a professional plumber. He can inspect the valve, drain line connection and the floor around the flange as well as be sure things are tightened properly. Plus if there is a problem with your new commode a phone call fixes everything under warranty.

One note, the toilet seat is extra.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
      X