X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot purchases Hughes Supply

Have you heard that Home Depot has purchased the Hughes supply co.
    Apparently the purchase price is 3.4 billion for 400 or so branches.
    Does anyone know more details and how will this affect the plumbing supply industry?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

I doubt if it will affect the plumbing supply industry at all. It may help HD's bottom line as it certainly will increase the pressure they can put on mfgs. due to their increased buying power now. Time will tell I guess but Hughes already has some pretty powerful competition that can give them a run for their money all day long.

When Ferguson purchased a local Plbg/Htg/AC supply house here about 10 years ago all the contractors thought their prices would be going down,...... didn't happen! The only difference was that the bottom line profits went back to merry ole England instead of staying local. In case you didn't know, Ferguson is a subsiduary of English giant Wholseley plc. The other local supply houses have been impacted by Fergusons but are all still in business.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

No Hughes supply house near me. can't imagine the nightmare asking an orange apron about a specialty part.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber
        No Hughes supply house near me. can't imagine the nightmare asking an orange apron about a specialty part.
        plumber, I don't think you have to worry about that happening. I rather doubt that HD would be foolish enough to try and combine the BORG stores with the Hughes stores. The trades would never put up with the generally unknowledgeable and untrained employees that the retail stores seem to be staffed with. Look for HD Corp. to have both a retail division, current HD stores, and a wholesale division, Hughes stores.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 01-11-2006, 07:02 PM.

Comment

When Hughes bought-out Todd in California I was very disappointed. In my opinion Todd had far better salesmen and service than Furguson. Furguson, of course, has much more versitility, but they cannot get the product to the jobsite.

As soon as Hughes bought Todd, I saw the service go down hill. I personally saw a number of employees move to other supply houses. A result of Hughes changing benifit policies.

The fact that Home Depot is involved takes it a step further. Goodbye Todd-Hughes.

I love that Badger Dave has jumped to the plumber's forum to defend Home Depot. They are smart enough? Yea, they are smart enough to rope non-professionals like yourself into buying inferior products that pretend to be professional.
          the dog

Comment

the few todd-hughes employees that i know well enough to talk to, won't really know for another 3 weeks what is in their future. but you're right dog. there were a number of good todd employees that left when hughes purchased them.
            i remember a few years ago when my branch manager was moved to corporate. everyone was upset that he was replaced. i called and left a message for carl, (the owner). he actually called me back on a monday at 6o am. i can't see any upper management from hughes or home depot doing that.
            hughes has even screwed up the billing department. i get 2 identical monthly statements every month in 2 separate envelopes. in the 6 or so months hughes has been around, they havn't been able to correct it. maybe that's why their prices went up and the service went down. why some of their better long time employees left to go to other supply houses.

time will tell. might be a good time to look for a new prime supplier.

maybe home depot will honor their 110% price guarantee?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
              I love that Badger Dave has jumped to the plumber's forum to defend Home Depot. They are smart enough? Yea, they are smart enough to rope non-professionals like yourself into buying inferior products that pretend to be professional.
              What part of my responses was it that made you think I was defending Home Depot? You may think that you read my post but you obviously didn't comprehend it!

You're right about the "non-professionals like yourself" jumping into your forum. I only have 29 years experience as a PHC distributor under my belt. I believe you need 30 years to be considered a professional don't you?

Comment

Dave,

Why did I say you were defending Home Depot? I suggest you re-read your own first post.

Professional? Fifty years as a PHC distributer does not qualify you as a plumbing, piping, or HVAC professional. It qualifies you as a calender giving, donut-offering,
                smooth talking professional. There is a difference.
                the dog

Comment

Working...
                X