X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie sump pump question

I have a sp-330d sump pump. When it shuts off,it sounds like a gun shot going off. You can hear it all through the house. I have tighten the discharge line down. That did not seem to help. I am also looking for a checkvalve that screws into this pump. Home Depot people can't seem to help me in obtaining one. Can anybody tell me who else carries it ? Thanks everyone.

brad, the gunshot noise you hear is probably the water coming to a stop and slamming against the check valve. you said that you're looking for a check valve. i assume that you still have a check valve installed

normally a check valve is installed between the pump and a shut off valve above the pit. if you have a high lift (head pressure) the water will cause the check valve to slam shut upon shutting off. zoller makes a threaded and a clamp on type of valve.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I still have a check valve installed in my discharge pipe. It is about four feet above the pump, halfway up against the basement wall. I thought that if I got a check valve that was in the sump,it would be less noisey than the current configuration. Do you have any other opinions on how to quiet the check valve ? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Obi-Brad
        Yes, I still have a check valve installed in my discharge pipe. It is about four feet above the pump, halfway up against the basement wall. I thought that if I got a check valve that was in the sump,it would be less noisey than the current configuration. Do you have any other opinions on how to quiet the check valve ? Thanks again.
        Is your check valve a swing check valve or spring loaded check? What type of head (developed height) do you have on your check valve? Once your discharge line reaches its max height does it have positive flow? Do you have any restrictions in your discharge line which might impede the flow?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Depending on how your discharge pipe is installed there are several options available that can help alleviate your water hammer/ check valve noise.

can you describe how you tightened the discharge pipe and do you have any insulators between the pipe and hangers and the joists. Installing the check valve lower and in the pit should help the noise volume and will help your pump last longer.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I have the discharged pipe bolted to the basement wall with 4 pipe clamps. Wherever the discharge pipe touches something, it is insulated from actually touching it by a 1/4 inch thick roll of rubber. No where is the discharge pipe actually touching anything. Where ever it is touching a pipe clamp or joist, it has to go through the 1/4 inch rubber. The check valve does not have a spring in it. I have read that I might need to drill a 3/16 inch hole in the discharge pipe. If so,where ? Thanks all of you for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Obi-Brad
              I have read that I might need to drill a 3/16 inch hole in the discharge pipe. If so,where ? Thanks all of you for your help.
              the purpose of the 3/16'' hole is to prevent an air lock situation. when the pit refills again the hole will allow the air bubble to vent and not allow the pump to run dry, in a pocket of trapped air.

the hole needs to be drilled below the inlet level of the check valve. the idea location is at the height of the top of the pump. keep in mind that the little hole will squirt water when pumping and suck air when the pump shuts off.

a chek valve that is installed inside of the pit makes it dirty and not to practical to sevice. the purpose of the check valve is to keep the water in the line from coming back into the pit and possibly restarting the pump as the level comes up. you might to remove the check valve to test the noise and then see if the water level comes up too high, restarting the pump. this typically happens in a small pit or a high head situation.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X