X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• factory certified???

Has anybody ever heard of factory certified drain technicians? If so, what exactly does that mean?

I'm seeing it more and more in some of the web pages for drain cleaning and plumbing companies? Thing is, in all my brief but tiring 10 years in the drain cleaning industry, I've never heard of a certification class for drain cleaning from any machine manufacturers or colleges or anything like that. I thought it was "hands on" training for the most part.

What's interesting is mostly where I see the words "factory certified drain techs" is from the "up-front pricing" companies. It wouldn't happen to be a ploy or gimmick, would it? Tell the people they are factory certified techs and raise the prices even more to cover the "training and certification".

Does anybody know anything about this certification? Thanks.

I'm sure all it takes is attending a couple hour course taught by a snake manufacturer.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

As someone who has been "factory certified" (mostly for various joining methods), that term holds very little respect to me. It usually amounts to a sales rep. reading the manual to you. Technical questions are never answered, because your trainer has never actually used the equipment.

Obviouly I can't speak for their specific training program (I've never been trained in drain cleaning), but its just my general opinion based on my experiences.
      the dog

Comment

or does this mean your certified yo clean factory drains HA HA

i think they just like showing the word CERTIFIED . IT MUST BE A SALES PITCH ?
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

there is a whole lot more to cleaning drains than knowing what end goes in first.
          what separates a pro from a tech. is the pro knows plumbing, the design and layout of the system and knows what they are doing. the so called tech, knows how to sell a job.

i get a kick at seeing some companies advertising all the services and catch phrases that they want to sell. problem is they have no clue at what they are doing. half of them don't even have the equipment to do the job.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

So true, Plumber Rick, so true. I was quite amused when I got with my current company and they labeled me "lead drain technician" due to my experience and then put me in a truck and told me I had everything I needed for drain cleaning. I seriously had almost nothing needed (or maybe what I'm used to having) for drain cleaning. I had a sewer machine and a sink machine, no splices, no cutters, no ends, no whips, no tub machine, no specialty tools to get me out of a jam, nothing. Everything had to be requested to be ordered and they looked at me like "what exactly do you need this for?" I've been here for seven months now and I still have a list of things I need. They had a camera sitting in the shop for who knows how long and I asked them if I could put it on my truck to camera the sewer lines after I cleaned them and they asked for what reason and are you going to charge for it. They wonder why we don't get many drain calls and if you look in the phone book you'll see that we don't show that we do drains. They think cleaning kitchen lines from roof vents are a waste of time and the tech I replaced still works here and he had never heard of cleaning a sewer line from a roof vent 2 man style. I brought my own gloves when I first got hired, wore them out and went into the shop to get some more, nowhere to be found. The manager looked at me and asked "Do you have to have gloves to clean a line?". That's what I deal with. Sometimes, well most of the time, I have to look away and laugh at this mickey mouse business. It's all about sell sell sell.

Comment

I have so many "factory certifications" my wallet would be 12 inches thick if i carried every card i was given after the 2 hour beer and pizza training sessions provided by wholesalers and manufacturers. While i always came away with some knowledge the fact that I had been "factory certified" or "factory trained" was always a big cynical joke to me.

Plus the pizza was almost always cold and stale.
              Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber
                I have so many "factory certifications" my wallet would be 12 inches thick if i carried every card i was given after the 2 hour beer and pizza training sessions provided by wholesalers and manufacturers. While i always came away with some knowledge the fact that I had been "factory certified" or "factory trained" was always a big cynical joke to me.

Plus the pizza was almost always cold and stale.
                Plumber,

Was the beer cold? If so, it made it all worth it. At least from your prospective.
                Last edited by plumbdog10; 02-13-2006, 11:16 PM.
                the dog

Comment

yeah usually.

But when I invest my free time to be at a seminar or training program I want to come away with as much knowledge as possible so 2 is always my self imposed limit.

Some folks, at the encouragement of the sales staffs usually have a bit more. they are convinced to open their check books a little easier that way.

I watched one fellow buy ten rolls of that yellow corrugated and coated gas pipe and it wasn't even approved for use here yet. But he was sure having a good time.
                  Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

plumber, i eat the pizza and drink the "root beer". does your code allow for the csst gas pipe yet? it works great for remodels and additions. kind of costly for new work. sort of like the propress system.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Plumber,

Agree completely. I was just injecting a little humor.
                      the dog

Comment

Working...
                      X