X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody want to price this job?

I'm curious how others would price this job.

It's finishing a future, basement bath consisting of single lav, wc, tile or cm shower, and a sewage grinder. It's a future bath so all slab rough drainage is already installed and a 2" future vent was stubbed down at new const. phase. In addition, in the basement, HO wants a bar sink. HO elected to go with an under cabinet sump system to handle waste rather than bust concrete to access existing drainage piping. Also, upstairs in the laundry room I will be roughing in for a drop in utility sink. All dwv piping will be pvc cell core and all water distribution will be either m copper or pex. No extra ordinary distances have to be traveled to access any existing plumbing system. Seems to be a fairly straight forward job with no significant obstacles. All fixtures will be builders grade. Under sink sump system cost around $150 the last time I did one and the sewage pump will run around $350 - $400 (I don't use the cheapies). In ground sump will have an alarm system. I've run into so many DIY'ers that I've begun to price these jobs seperately for the rough and set out with both pumps being installed at the set out.

If anyone would like to take a stab at pricing this, (don't spend too much time at it) I would love to hear what you have to say.

P.S. this is obviously one of those jobs which would never survive strict flat rate pricing and having done many of these before, I understand that. I use flat rate for everything but it is an entirely different structure once I get away from service work. Having said that I am still by no means cheap.

P.S.S. Having just read my own post I realize that there is room for confusion. All slab rough drainage piping is already installed for lav, wc, shower, and sewage sump. Bar sink has no rough piping of any kind presently so the option is to cut the concrete or use an undersink sump. HO elected the latter.
    Last edited by ECS; 02-17-2006, 05:44 PM.

Gosh, you're so talented and worth so much money why not just charge them about 70,000 dollars. That way you can stay in line with the rest of the flat rates you outlined sometime ago. No use giving people in your area a fair shake now.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

ouch and dammmmm
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

flat rate for internet advice = $999.00

As BadgerDave would say, SNAP!
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumber
          Gosh, you're so talented and worth so much money why not just charge them about 70,000 dollars. That way you can stay in line with the rest of the flat rates you outlined sometime ago. No use giving people in your area a fair shake now.

Plumber,

Hey, hey, hey.

ECS,

If you don't know how to bid the job, don't do it.
          the dog

Comment

Ooh, plumber, you really cut me down. What can I possibly say now? Hmm, how about grow up.

Plumbdog, do you actually think that I needed your advice to price the job!? I was simply curious what others might be charging. I've done so many of these I could almost do it in my sleep.

Bob, I'm sorry you don't seem to have a very devoloped sense of humor. I don't know how to help you. I guess you either have one or you don't. My earlier post about internet advice being $999.00 was obviously a joke. I see now that you didn't understand it.

Please don't tell me that you've all been sitting around for two weeks, or however long it's been, just to get a chance to "burn" me. How infantile and sad.
            Last edited by ECS; 02-18-2006, 12:46 AM.

Comment

ecs, like you stated, you can't price it like your flat rate. the question is why? how can you price something much higher than normal, then lower your price to compete with the going rate? you should have a rate that is for a days work. then figure how many days for the work. of course you need to figure your material cost.

the thing that bothers me is that you already state that you're not cheep. the only way to pull this off is if you're the best. if you're good and fast and thurough, you can compete and make money. you don't need to hide behind a flat rate system.

a contract price is basically a flat rate. the difference is the price has to be realistic, not a price taken from a book.
              the only way to get rich fast is to play the lottery. good luck

i would be curious at the difference between a book flat rate and a real contract price.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

rigid pump adjustment??

just replaced bmy SP330D (w/ diaphragm switch) with at SP 500 with a float switch. The SP 300D switch kept hanging up so H-Depot gave me a replacement for free. The new one only cycles for about 4-5 seconds. Any way to adjust the float cycle time??

Comment

Originally posted by dyorke
                  just replaced bmy SP330D (w/ diaphragm switch) with at SP 500 with a float switch. The SP 300D switch kept hanging up so H-Depot gave me a replacement for free. The new one only cycles for about 4-5 seconds. Any way to adjust the float cycle time??
                  i'll answer this , but you're in the wrong forum, thread. you have too small of a pit diameter and or too large a pump. you can try adjusting the teather length of the float cord a little bit longer t increase the cycle times. better would be to size the pump to the application.

if you need more help. post it in a new thread for your question.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK

a contract price is basically a flat rate. the difference is the price has to be realistic, not a price taken from a book.
                    the only way to get rich fast is to play the lottery. good luck

rick.
                    There is additional difference you left out. Typically with a contract price everything is agreed upon in advance and both parties know what they are getting into. There is generally an opportunity for the homeowner to decide the price is too high and secure additional bids if necessary. With flat-rate pricing the plumber surprises the home owner with the price and tells them if they take the job right now he will knock off the service call fee.

Rule number one with most flat-rate companies is don’t quote base labor rates or prices over the phone. If flat-rate pricing is so honest I wonder why they can’t tell you over the phone. You don’t have to install too many garbage disposals to figure out what it takes to change one out.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Wow, Is This A New Service ?

I've got a 6 unit appt. house re pipe coming up. I know exactly the worth!

but for s#i t$$ @ giggles I'll send the specs. over the 1st of last week
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic
                        I've got a 6 unit appt. house re pipe coming up. I know exactly the worth!

but for s#i t$$ @ giggles I'll send the specs. over the 1st of last week
                        Since you are going to post the specs. 1st of last week I guess we've already seen them.

If you are going to repipe in copper watch your costs. I am in the middle of a 748 unit repipe (2.9 million) and copper has gone through the roof. On the positive side I talked the home owners out of the lining system their two sister projects went with.

The sister projects started at the same time we did and finished in six months but spent a lot more money for a lining system over pipe replacement. Now a year later we have 550 units repiped in copper and the sister projects are experiencing the same volume of leaks they had before the lining.

Mark

Comment

ECS,

"infantile and sad?"

A few weeks ago you boasted of overcharging an 80 year old man for repairing a water line he had dug up for you. He was a WW2 veteran for Gods sakes.

An 80 year old man, he did the hard work. 200 dollars for a patch on an exposed line... Thats thievery and I will speak out and write against that till my dying breath.

A couple is trying to remodel their own basement and you won't even install a pump on rough in so they can save themselves a couple of bucks? I don't have the same moral laws as you. We don't even share the same definition of moral.

You've been in the industry for a grand total of maybe 7 years? Most other plumbers here have forgotton more than you have yet to learn about this trade. Here you would be only 2 years out of your apprenticeship, a puppy. Maybe, just maybe, on a charitable day we would let you look at the blue prints. Most likely i would still be putting your marks on the floors and walls for you and telling you what fittings to use and when you could have your morning break and go to the porta potty.

The only person violating your moral laws here is you. No one has been waiting around for you and it becomes apparant that your self worth is as inflated as your flatbook prices. Josh closed that other thread before I could repy to your little rant there but it was perhaps the most childish thing this site has ever witnessed. Perhaps invoking God and thumping your chest intimidates others where you live but it doesnt work with me. And invoking the Lords name while defending your ripping off of the elderly is pure blasphemy so just stow the selfrightous bits and pieces of your imagination until you are a bit farther out of your apprenticeship.

Comment

Utah,

Yeah copper has gone crazy. Even scrap is over $2.00 a pound here. Some projects have had to hire guards to stop thieves from ripping out walls in new work to get copper tube.

I agree about the re-lining of pipe. It looks and sounds good on paper but I've yet to see it pay off in practice. The community in which i now live had its sewers under main street relined before they did a complete overhaul of the street about 5 or 6 years ago. Now they have already spent nearly the same amount of money digging up and repairing bad spots than if they would have just replaced the line as they did the street. And they still have a 1o0 year old sewer.

Comment

I hate to hijack a thread but to follow up on Plumbers post I once had a similar job with a retired veteran. I was contacted by his insurance company which requested I reroute the cold water line to his kitchen sink.

This gentleman was 87-years old and the past president of the local VFW. It seemed a flat-rate company had diagnosed a slab leak in the cold water line to his kitchen sink. Their price for the reroute was $1,600 which was approved by his insurance company but they refused to wait for their money. The man’s water had been off for a week and all his insurance company wanted was for me to make the repair and wait for the $1,600 check to be paid by them after the repair.

As my average slab leak at the time was less than $600 I decided to do a leak locate and see if I could offer the insurance company an alternative repair. While looking under the kitchen sink I noticed the galvanized nipple at the cold water angle stop was leaking. I replaced the nipple and verified there was no slab leak.

I charged the home owner somewhere under $50 and was on my way in less than half an hour. We ended up getting a lot o referrals from both the insurance company and the VFW. I wonder what type of referrals the flat-rate company got?

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X