X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glacier Bay Bathroom Sink Faucet

I was @ HD today looking @ brushed nickle finished sink faucets. The only 2 models that caught my eye, were the Kohler Forte @ $130 & a closeout Glacier Bay for $50. Both are brass constructed w/ lifetime warr. The Glacier Bay is made in Italy & I assume the Kohler is US made, although the Glacier Bay was heavier, but mass may not equal quality. I bought 3 of the Glacier Bay's, but I can still return them if I change my mind. Is the Kohler 2.5 times better than the Glacier Bay?

i'm not a big kohler fan. glacier bay is a home depot brand. are you sure it's made in italy? i thought it was china. basically the parts are usually a knock off of a delta/ delex. as long as the lifetime warranty and home depot is around, you'll be ok as long as you can fix it yourself.

is there a third choice? i like price phister, moen and delta too.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

I thought too that it might be made in China, but it says "MADE In ITALY - MADE EN ITALIA" on the box.

Thanks!

Glenn

Comment

Unlike Rick I like Kohler a lot. Pretty much my entire house is Kohler and believe me the shoemaker's kids go bare foot. With the exception of my kitchen sink all of my faucets are 10+ years old and I think I have changed one stem in my master shower. Of course my shower has three two handle Kohler valve or 6-stems. That being said when I need a stem I need to go looking for them. It is much harder to buy parts for a Kohler than a Delta, Price Pifster or Moen faucet.

I couldn't sleep at night knowning I settled for a Glacier Bay but I am some what of a purist when it comes to fixtures. If you like the look and it sure seems like the price was reasonable stick with the Glacier.

The Glacier Bay faucet is a Home Depot brand and should give you good service for a while and if you decide you don't like them they are cheap enough to replace them and go on.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I like kohlers lifetime guarantee. Had to get a spray head for a kitchen faucet. Local supply house wanted $100 for it called kohler free and with there lifetime guarantee you don't need to register or anything.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

as mark stated trying to find parts for kohler are harder than moen , delta, price phister. these american co's all give free parts for life.

the issue i find with kohler, more on their toilets than faucets is that you need to fix the toilet in a very short time. sometimes in less than 1 year and always within 3. there have been times that the product was so new that the supply house didn't have parts and kohler didn't either. it took 4 weeks to get a shark fin flapper. this was years ago when they first introduced them.

why is it that i have to stock 9 different flappers just for a kohler? then you have so many different ballcocks. they finally got smart and started to switch over to fluidmaster based ballcocks. so has american standard too.

in fact i have a customer with a new (3 months)american standard champion toilet. the toilet has a defective flush valve tower. american standard is shipping the part to the customer. it's now been 2 weeks. this from a toilet that has a 10 year no leak warranty.

on the other hand 1 have 2 american standard pressure assist toilets that have not seen any parts or stoppages for 12+ years.
            lets not even think about the pressure assist kohler toilets

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I replaced the kitchen faucets with American Standard (single lever type) after replacing Delta faucets every five years. Six years later the O-Ring on the body started to leak when the faucet was on. When I asked the guy at HD about where the replacement parts were, he said "Call them on their 800 number. Its a lifetime warrantee and they'll send you the parts. He was right! The guy at American Standard asked the type of faucet and what was leaking. He then shipped out all the gaskets in a rebuild kit "just in case". Had the parts in 3 days at no cost to me. That's what I call good service.
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor
                I replaced the kitchen faucets with American Standard (single lever type) after replacing Delta faucets every five years. Six years later the O-Ring on the body started to leak when the faucet was on. When I asked the guy at HD about where the replacement parts were, he said "Call them on their 800 number. Its a lifetime warrantee and they'll send you the parts. He was right! The guy at American Standard asked the type of faucet and what was leaking. He then shipped out all the gaskets in a rebuild kit "just in case". Had the parts in 3 days at no cost to me. That's what I call good service.
                you got lucky. this morning my customer called about the parts that i orderd for his american standard toilet that is only a few monts old. i ordered the parts on 2/20/06. they gave me an order confirmation # and said they woul go out that day. as of this morning 3/6/06. they have yet to ship them. said that they were back-ordered. so the toilet with the 10 year no leak warranty has almost been out of comission as long as it's been installed. the issue is that the parts are not in the supply house, or i would go buy 1.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Good to know. If the mnfgr is the only parts supplier, that could be definite problem for a professional trying to fix an installation. My problem was at the "irritation"level, so I could have lived with a delay, but I can definitely see your point.
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

The delay is fine unless it is a tub or shower stem and you have to turn the water to the house off until you find the right part.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
                      The delay is fine unless it is a tub or shower stem and you have to turn the water to the house off until you find the right part.

Mark
                      A good reason to install isolation valves for various parts of the system.
                      I have done this on each house I have owned the first time I had to shut down the system for a repair. I took advantage of having the whole system down and drained and installed ball valves so I could isolate each bath, the kitchen, and the laundry, and installed inside shutoffs for hose bibbs if none were present. This made life during future repairs or remodeling easier on everyone. It requires some time and material to implement initially, but is pays down the road.

I know this is stating the obvious for many of you, but others may gain something from it.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Do the BB retailers carry lower quality fixtures to compete on price?

Comment

Here's my two cents.

I specialize in small plumbing jobs. Replacing and repairing faucets are my bread and butter.

Most of the time the customer already has a faucet picked out that they want me to install, so I don't get to choose what brand to install. If and when I do recommend any, it would be Moen, PP, Peerless and Delta, as my top 4.

As far as reliability issues go, I would have to say that the big name brand faucets wear out just as fast as the "cheapy" faucets, on the inside. This is from professional experience, dealing with hundreds of faucets a year.

What separates the expensive and the cheapy faucets is their finish durability and strength of joints. IE: Chrome finishes don't last as long on the cheapy, they will pit and flake sooner. The joints, particularly on the kitchen faucets that do a lot of swiveling, will wear out faster and feel sloppier on the cheaper faucets.

Internally they are all made of brass, copper, plastic and rubber...pretty much all the same.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Faucets

A few years ago we finally stopped using Kohler faucets all together. We got tired of installing a new faucet and then returning the next day to replace the cartridge. I prefer Delta. Easy to fix and get parts.
                            One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

Working...
                            X