off the wall question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off the wall question

I do volunteer work in Mexico and when people see my Rigid 14" pipe wrench they call it a stilson. I thought Stilson was a brand of wrench (like Rigid) not a type of wrench.

Am I right or wrong?

The stillson wrench was invented by Daniel C. Stilson. Like a Cresent Wrench regardless whether Cresent built it or not people called all Cresent Wrench type wrenches are called a Cresent Wrench.

The Stillson Wrench is not the same as a Ridgid pipe wrench. The Stillson Wrench has a sliding yoke which controls the jaw while a pipe wrench jaw is controled through a hole in the handle.

I guess the bottom line is if they ask you for your Stillson Wrench you still understand what they are asking for.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
      The stillson wrench was invented by Daniel C. Stilson. Like a Cresent Wrench regardless whether Cresent built it or not people called all Cresent Wrench type wrenches are called a Cresent Wrench.

The Stillson Wrench is not the same as a Ridgid pipe wrench. The Stillson Wrench has a sliding yoke which controls the jaw while a pipe wrench jaw is controled through a hole in the handle.

I guess the bottom line is if they ask you for your Stillson Wrench you still understand what they are asking for.

Mark
      Thanks ToUtahNow

Comment

Nothing much would surprise me down there. A Mexican plumber acquaintance of mine who used to live in Mexico says the plumbing is atrocious down there....and that there are very few men who even know how to properly solder copper fittings (hence the preponderance of plastic pipe etc). He made the plumbing situation down there sound quite bleak.

Comment

Originally posted by AZPlumber
          Nothing much would surprise me down there. A Mexican plumber acquaintance of mine who used to live in Mexico says the plumbing is atrocious down there....and that there are very few men who even know how to properly solder copper fittings (hence the preponderance of plastic pipe etc). He made the plumbing situation down there sound quite bleak.
          it's pretty bad... I do volunteer work at a home for abused women there and as an example of the differences between there and here I offer to you this recent incident: the director of the home contracted with the local gas company to have an LNG tank installed and plumbed. In Mexico they run hard copper for their gas lines with solder connections which they then paint with yellow to distinguish them from water lines. The person doing the installation "accidently" passed the flame of his torch over the water line and it was 1/2" PVC sch 40... the water line was several inches from the gas line. I ended up re-doing most of the work that the gas man had done.

On this forum there are many contributors that are craftsmen in their trade, whether their trade is plumbing, electrical or something else. these individuals offer good value to their customers in the services they provide.

Down there, the plumbers, electricians, the mechanics, the handymen etc don't really take pride in what they do and the end result is that many times the job needs to be re-done or the customer is forced to live with it...

Comment

franklie i have to both wonder about why you are volunteer work in Mexico and praze you at the same time,and here is why.1/3 of the mexcans in the us are illegels 2/3s of them dont and wont even try to learn our language 1/3 od the leagle mexacans cant and wont speak our language.2/5s of them have taken over the "trades" to the point(in the washington d.c. richmond va. and baltimore md.areas are the only areas i know of as i had lived there for 30 years)that even the news paper adds read something like this"wanted plumbers(i will use plumbers as an example but it is in all trades) wanted for rough in work great pay starting at $8.00 and hour(since when is this great pay)and you must be able to speak spainsh(uhhhhh wrong i was born and live here not there so why the heck do i have to speak spainsh!!!)ok now i am done with my rant now for the praise.i for one am glad that you can and with and want to volunteer your time and life to make other poeple have a better live and have sanitry condtions to live and work and the fact that you have the tools and resoures to have at you dispoasl is another great thing i also think that while you are there if you can teach your trade to the people there on how to do it the right way so when you leave there are poeple there can do and maintain your work would also be a great thing to do
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
              franklie i have to both wonder about why you are volunteer work in Mexico and praze you at the same time,and here is why.1/3 of the mexcans in the us are illegels 2/3s of them dont and wont even try to learn our language 1/3 od the leagle mexacans cant and wont speak our language.2/5s of them have taken over the "trades" to the point(in the washington d.c. richmond va. and baltimore md.areas are the only areas i know of as i had lived there for 30 years)that even the news paper adds read something like this"wanted plumbers(i will use plumbers as an example but it is in all trades) wanted for rough in work great pay starting at $8.00 and hour(since when is this great pay)and you must be able to speak spainsh(uhhhhh wrong i was born and live here not there so why the heck do i have to speak spainsh!!!)ok now i am done with my rant now for the praise.i for one am glad that you can and with and want to volunteer your time and life to make other poeple have a better live and have sanitry condtions to live and work and the fact that you have the tools and resoures to have at you dispoasl is another great thing i also think that while you are there if you can teach your trade to the people there on how to do it the right way so when you leave there are poeple there can do and maintain your work would also be a great thing to do
              OSC I agree with you on your points about illegal immigration and the influx of illegals in the trades. I do volunteer work at a home for abused women. Victims of rape or domestic violence or forced prostitution don't have many options in Mexico. In this home the majority of the "women" are 16 or younger and they have had kids due to the the abuse that they've received. The goals of the home are to get these "women" to be functioning members of society through education and training and to prevent them from being victims again.

Your final point about having the locals take over and do the work is excellent. Unfortunately, the mentality of the Mexicans is not quite the same as that of the Americans. We grow up with the idea of helping those less fortunate than ourselves. The rest of the world in general does not.
              Last edited by franklie; 03-17-2006, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I've been in 50+ locations in 20+ different countries, and IMHO the USA is the best of all for people of all financial categories (I must insert a caveat that the big city metropolises are possibly the exception) with Australia being a real close second.
                I agree with franklie: in most the them, the "don't have" and abused have little support and less hope of things getting better.
                Good on ya, franklie, for the work you are doing!
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                X