Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

    Originally posted by APHCO View Post
    Not wanting to open tooooo big of a can of worms, but would someone please define what "the going rate"is.

    A proper charge for your company, whether T&M or FR, should be based on your costs,period.

    What are you crazy?

    You have to base your prices on what the competition is charging so that you can all go down the tubes at the same time
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

      Originally posted by ironranger View Post
      I can't believe anyone out there who is licensed would still be charging 75 bucks an hour! Sad
      The sad part is people who make sweeping assumptions based on their own limited view of the world.

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

        Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        The sad part is people who make sweeping assumptions based on their own limited view of the world.

        I agree, very sad. Folks need to wake up and charge what they're worth. I don't know anyone around here that has charged anything under 125 for the last 8 years!

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

          Originally posted by APHCO View Post
          Not wanting to open tooooo big of a can of worms, but would someone please define what "the going rate"is.

          A proper charge for your company, whether T&M or FR, should be based on your costs,period.
          Therein lies the problem with many businesses. Their costs exceed what their value to their customers are and they price themselves out of the market. This applies to the one man shop or G.M.

          The lower your costs are, the lower your break-even point will be, see? What's bad is plumbers love to advertise, drive big trucks, and look good all the time. All that starts a vicious cycle of bigger ads and expensive trucks until we're working just to pay off our yellow page ads.

          I don't have any of that stuff (much), but I'm riding the coat tails of what the market will bear. My 1,000.00 job garners more profit than 75% of these other companies because my costs are low. If I had to lower the rate back down to 60.00, I would still make a decent working-class living because my costs are low.

          If we learn anything from this recession is to keep your costs low.
          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

            Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
            Therein lies the problem with many businesses. Their costs exceed what their value to their customers are and they price themselves out of the market. This applies to the one man shop or G.M.

            The lower your costs are, the lower your break-even point will be, see? What's bad is plumbers love to advertise, drive big trucks, and look good all the time. All that starts a vicious cycle of bigger ads and expensive trucks until we're working just to pay off our yellow page ads.

            I don't have any of that stuff (much), but I'm riding the coat tails of what the market will bear. My 1,000.00 job garners more profit than 75% of these other companies because my costs are low. If I had to lower the rate back down to 60.00, I would still make a decent working-class living because my costs are low.

            If we learn anything from this recession is to keep your costs low.
            Your points are well made. There are costs we can trim when things are slow and there are costs we have to try to live with. Things like mortgages, yellow page ads and truck payments remain unchanged regardless of our income.

            Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

              Well if done right the advertising pays for itself anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it right. I'll find out after August.

              I'm about to have lettering added to my new van, but I'm not overly concerned with its cost since it will paid for itself, as the last van lettering has.

              I dont see how any new company can grow in a competitive market with word of mouth alone.

              To not be aware of what other companies are charging seems odd to me. Many customers are looking for someone who does good work, is reliable and charges a fair price. Knowing that all you need to do for the "fair price" is stay at market average or $10 to $20 below market average, why would you not do that? What if what you need to cover costs is $30 to $40 below market average?

              The customer is getting what they want which is quality, reliability, and market average or below average prices, and you can get what you want, which for me is video inspection equipment, upgraded tools, savings, etc.

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

                Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                What are you crazy?

                You have to base your prices on what the competition is charging so that you can all go down the tubes at the same time

                No not crazy, just forgetful!
                Thanks for reminding me about Peter's First Law of Bankruptcy and Penury.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

                  It's really not so hard. Charge a flat rate to cover your expenses and make sure you make a good profit. Why don't some folks get it, HELLO!

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: Did I get raped by my plumber - figuratively?

                    I Do not charge The Most or the Least ...Kinda sail in Under the Radar ... Tennis Elbow Plumbing clean 'N easy $75.00 + Parts ...In and Out in 30 minutes or Less Using the Small TrucK...S-10

                    Dirty and Complicated Using the "Fully stocked " "service Van" Starts at $125.00 For first 30 minutes then goes Up Exponentially from there ...

                    Dave

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X