Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

norcal, is pex legal in calif? i don't know if it is, or isn't. too much politics over pex in calif.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, pex is legal and being used in almost all new construction where I live...I don't know if its different in the cities, perhaps the unions are tying things up. We don't have much of a union presence up here.

To answer the previous questions/comments: The leak was at the union of the pex and angle stop. The contractor (non-plumber) was certainly, at least partially, to blame for the leaks.

Seems to be an inferior joinery system, if you ask me...basically the pex (Wirsbo) inserted into the angle stop just as 1/2 inch copper would on a compression fitting...same copper ferrell and there was a metal insert to keep the pex from "crushing"......over tightening or undertightening would cause the little buggers to leak...you had to tighten the nuts just the perfect amount, and naturally there was no room to work under the sinks/behind toilets, and there wasn't enough pex sticking out of the wall...maybe 1/2 inch or so.

BTW: A little request to those of you that are installing pex in new construction...please leave a couple of inches of pex sticking out of the wall, for us service guys to work with. Or at least leave enough slack in the pex so that we can pull a couple of inches of pex out of the wall, without having to tear into perfectly good walls.

Comment

I always use what i call a No. 19(thats a Yorkshire cat. number) at hot and cold points.

Leaves you with a male thread out of the wall, fixed by screws through its backplate. From there you can use whatever. No need to use the torch inside a cabinet. No need for extra slack.

Comment

Re: getting into pex

I can confirm first hand that rats will cause massive destruction to a PEX system in the crawl space of an attic. To date I have repaired no less than 14 leaks (in the las two months) in the attic due to rats chewing on the PEX tubing. I have attempted to find every hole that they are getting into the attic and I have placed every type of rodent trap I can find at my local home improvement store, but yet still they are chewing up my plumbing like it is some tasty treat. Based on the fact that the last two months have been misrable in my home and I live in fear of when the next leak will occur, I am at a loss for what to do... Can I convert to copper in the attic or there anything I do to the pipes to prevent them from chewing them? If I attempted to convert to copper, will I need to solder or is there a way to install copper with only threaded pipe. I need help!!

Thanks in advance to anyone with any useful ideas.

Comment

I would call a plumber. You really can't join copper very well without soldering or using expensive equipment. You could attempt to replace it with Flowguard CPVC yourself but that's still plastic... Maybe start a shelter for homeless cats

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

You can pick up some compression fittings at Homeboy Depot and compress fit the copper pipe and fit a pex pipe fitting on the other end or you could leave your cat up there!LOL!!

Comment

Even better. We could all stop using this crap until someone finds a way to solve the many problems with it.
                  sigpic

Comment

why put out water for the rodents if you don't have any pets? i use rat bait that they take back to their nests and i put out auto anti-freeze to quench their thirst. am i a nice guy? breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Even better. We could all stop using this crap until someone finds a way to solve the many problems with it.
                      In the sixties,when I was pouring lead joints on cast iron,my plumbing workmates were very leary about using abs pipe,too.

Comment

Rodents are not the problem with pex the problem is there are too many different products on the market and every one of them having thier own set on tools to install and repair them a plumber in the future will need a truck just to carry these tools instead of just a flaring tool and a set of dies.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                          Rodents are not the problem with pex the problem is there are too many different products on the market and every one of them having thier own set on tools to install and repair them a plumber in the future will need a truck just to carry these tools instead of just a flaring tool and a set of dies.

Tony
                          I used to think that also about needing different tools but actually almost all the pex pipe can use the fittings and tools of your choice, yes it voids the warranty but I am speaking in the future and doing a service call. So what ever brand of fittings and tools (crimp style only) you can make a repair even on wirsbo! But you can't expand non wirsbo pipe.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Why can't there be a standard like copper pipe and fittings have been for years ?
                            I think the non-standard issues with pex tubing /fittings turns off more plumbers than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by sunworksco View Post
                              In the sixties,when I was pouring lead joints on cast iron,my plumbing workmates were very leary about using abs pipe,too.
                              I would still prefer cast iron to ABS
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sunworksco View Post
                                Why can't there be a standard like copper pipe and fittings have been for years ?
                                I think the non-standard issues with pex tubing /fittings turns off more plumbers than anything else.
                                same issue with csst too. the companies that make csst have proprietary tubing and fittings.

of course there's a solution for the pex compatibility issue.

it's called sharkbite

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X