1/2" copper caps. One Penny each!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2" copper caps. One Penny each!

I was hired to pick up where the last plumber left off. Something happened and the previous plumber never came back. Not even to collect any money! So, I had to figure out what was done. I found that the previous plumber used pennies to cap the 1/2" copper lines! They've been on for close to a year. Yes, those water lines were charged. Simply amazing.

and how much does a 1/2 copper cap cost ???

more then 1 pennie
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I can see it in a pinch. The downside is that you are butt-soldering copper pressure tube, which is not a good idea. Not soft soldered anyway. Even as a short term solution, I would braze it. I would have serius concerns about a soft soldered butt-soldered system holding pressure for the long term.

I would not recommend it.

But hey, that's just me.
      the dog

Comment

i am brand new to this and i know better thane that
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

That was definitely not brazed. I checked the pressure at the hose bib before I started the job and it was 70-75#. I was more amazed that these were the new pennies that I believe have less copper. More like a copper coated alloy penny.

Comment

i remember years ago there were copper test caps that were very thin and a very short socket. i never used them, but did see them at the supply house.

as far as brazing goes. not recommended on stub outs. the heat from brazing will anneal the copper and make it very soft. not too good for a shut off valve. the copper will twist and bend if too much force is applied on the valve.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

Those test caps were just copper plated. I had a case where the plumber left them in so there was a place to tie in later and the caps rusted out in about two-years. Flooded the whole complex in the middle of the night when everyone had gone home.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I guess you guys aren't talking about the thin test caps that I've seen and used for DWV?

Comment

Originally posted by plumb crazy purple
                  I guess you guys aren't talking about the thin test caps that I've seen and used for DWV?
                  Boy if they used pennies for test caps on DWV they are either really large pennies or really small drain lines. I was talking about temporary test caps which were used on water lines.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

They were Texas pennies! J/K. The pennies were used on 1/2" supply lines. The thin test caps you mentioned, I thought might be the same type as used for DWV. I've never seen the thin 1/2" test caps.

Comment

Working...
                    X