1/2" copper clamps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
    My guess is there is not a single plumber on this site who would consider using a one hole clamp. A single hole clamp is not bad when your running wires or such that you don't anticipate movement with. However, plumbing pipes often will move, bounce, jump and /or whatever due to temperature and or pressure changes.

If I was securing a tub and/or shower assembly I would secure the shower riser and tub spout to a 2X4 using drop-eared 90s and a couple of drywall screws. The valve should be secured using whatever mounting attachment provisions were made by the manufacturer.

A small piece of felt behind any place where the pipe meets any framing and you are ready to do. If your are drilling holes to get the pipe to the fixture use a finned isolator. If you are using clamps use the plastic two hole clamps. I prefer the Acousto-Plumb but any of them will work.

Mark

A couple of problems I have:

1) I would not suggest using drywall screws to secure cast-copper "drop-eared 90s". There is an electrolysis problem with this. Alot of plumbers confuse cast-copper with brass.

2) I don't understand your installation with drop-eared 90s. Are you saying that you screw them to the studs facing inward? The way I do shower valves is to attach the valve itself to blocking, and attach the drops to blocking with two-hole straps.
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
      A couple of problems I have:

1) I would not suggest using drywall screws to secure cast-copper "drop-eared 90s". There is an electrolysis problem with this. Alot of plumbers confuse cast-copper with brass.

2) I don't understand your installation with drop-eared 90s. Are you saying that you screw them to the studs facing inward? The way I do shower valves is to attach the valve itself to blocking, and attach the drops to blocking with two-hole straps.
      Dog,

1. My experience has been the chances of cast copper corroding from a phosphate coated carbon steel screw are next to nothing. The fact that it is in a dry condition makes it even less likely. If you look at the scale of corrosion you would see the screws would corrode before the pipe would if at all.

2. I use either a hi ear or drop ear elbow which is attached to a horizontal 2X4 block which is nailed between two vertical studs. The reason I prefer the eared 90s over a strap is they do a better job of securing the tub spout and/or shower arm and they hold the copper piping away from the block. The one thing I will not use is HYCO straps and clips to secure a tub and/or shower asembly.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Give it a rest.

Comment

Anyone use copper van hangers a/k/a bell hangers?
          They hold the pipes off the studs and secure a tub or shower
          valve pretty well.Name:  8b42e68a4329afe2f8cce7e92dd67b15.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  1.7 KB

Comment

Yah, van hangers work sweet. The copper c clips with brass screws work good aswell. If you double up the j hooks/talon clips they'll work but nails are weak. Real plumbers use screws.
            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Touchdowns

Who would have thought a question like this could bring on such heated discussion.
              I love touchdowns. They do have but one hole but have used them for years without problems. I like the fact that I can use the same one for 1/2 or 3/4 piping. I will use longer screws though. The one's included I feel are inadequate.
              One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

Working...
              X