X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Get What You Pay For

I made the mistake of buying 3 Glacier Bay brushed nickle bathroom sink fixtures on closeout for $50 ea. The other mistake I made was hiring a handyman @ $20/hr, who took 5-6 hrs installing the first one in the guest bath. One of the fixtures that was going in the master bath, had the stainless steel stopper drain separate from the plastic drain pipe. Of course Home Depot no longer stock this Glacier Bay model, nor did they have an aftermarket drain pipe w/ a stainless steel finished drain stopper, only chrome. We tried using silcone to adhere the separated S/S drain stopper back to the plastic pipe, which failed. On top of this, I noticed leaks below the sink. I am now confronting pulling the pair of Glacier Bay fixtures from the master bath sink, finding a new pair of matching fixtures & a true plumber.
    I noticed that all the Glacier Bay drain pipes were plastic. Is that common today or just w/ the cheap units? What brands should I seek & which should I avoid, besides Glacier Bay?

roserx, glacier bay is a home depot brand. they should be able to get you a replacement from customer service. lots of these unit have a lifetime warranty.

one of the issues with buying frm a big box store is the manufacturer has to cut back on the brass and subsitute with plastic. the most common is the pop up assy.

i would stick with a price phister, moen, delta, and if all else fails an american standard or kohler

i thought 5-6 hours for handyman to install 3 faucets was not bad considering he had to remove 3 old ones and the pop up. then i re read that and saw it was for the first one only.

a plumber would have cost more per hour, but spent less time. unless it was flat rate ecs

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Plumber Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

It was a closeout & they were the last 3 units.

I failed the mention, that the handyman is w/o wheels & tools, so I made mult trips to Lowes & Home Depot P/U parts, some that were not needed, that I now have to go thru the hassle of returning.

Comment

Originally posted by RoseRx
        I failed the mention, that the handyman is w/o wheels & tools, so I made mult trips to Lowes & Home Depot P/U parts, some that were not needed, that I now have to go thru the hassle of returning.
        5 ~ 6 hours and no wheels or tools?? Sounds like a particularly UN-handy man?? I don't suppose he was an aqantance or friend at $20 an hour?!
        Last edited by wwsmith; 04-07-2006, 10:39 PM.
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I'd used him before for other tasks e.g., electrical, rough carpentry, painting, sheetrock & he did OK, but plumbing was a disaster.

The sad part about the ordeal, Lowe's had a Peerless brushed nickle fixture that wasn't a closeout for $5 > the Glacier Bay. At this point I'd gladly spend whatever it takes for fixtures that are trouble-free.

Comment

Rose,

Sorry to hear your project turned out poorly. I would not think of telling you we told you so so I thought I would provide you with a link:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8112

I'm just teasing you. In the overall realm of things this is a cheap lesson. At least you were not starting out with a large renovation. There is a reason the faucet were on closeout and there is a reason your worker is a handyman. Of course if I wanted advise from a nurse I would not ask a candy striper instead.

Good luck - Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,

OK, you were right. It was not an expensive lesson, but an aggrevating one none the less.

Glenn

Comment

Installing pop-up drain assemblies are tricky. If you don't do alot of them you won't know the tips and tricks. They are very prone to leak at multiple locations.

It sounds like maybe the damage to the drain may have been done by the installer. If you overtighten the retaining nut you can and will pop the metal away from the plastic. And, even if the drain assembly doesn't have plastic you can bend/warp/break the metal drains.

Comment

Plumber Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

It was a closeout & they were the last 3 units.

Why are you laying all this at his feet? You say he's done OK for you in the past (and probably saved you HUNDREDS of dollars over a pro). I don't condone using Joe-Handyman types for plumbing or electrical work. But it's not fair to talk smack about the guy because you were simply too greedy and penny pinching to hire a pro the first time around. And, at 20$/hour, he's under-charging you for even getting out of bed in the morning for you.

Lessons learned I suppose. But it's YOU whom you should be talking smack about, since it was YOu who created the problem by trying to save a penny and wasting a dollar and hiring someone you already KNEW to be under-qualified.

Then, in a further attempt to save a few more pennies, you buy junk fixtures, but that's not your fault either. You're just the victim in all of this, through your own lack of common sense and desire for cost savings over quality.
                  Last edited by AZPlumber; 04-08-2006, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Ease up AZ. He called me seeking work. I asked if it was a job he could do & he answered in the affirmative. The only record of his work that I had, was his past performance, which was acceptable, albeit no plumbing involved.

Now I know his limitations.

Comment

I absolutely will not install a plastic pop-up assembly. If someone provides their own faucet (which I will not warranty) and it comes with a plastic pop-up assembly, I tell them that they will have to pay for a replacement or get someone else. I say it very nicely of course, and explain to them why it must be done this way and how they will thank me later (or probably won't thank me later because after it's installed they won't ever have to think about it again). This is another reason I hate dealing with box stores, people go in there not having the first clue about what makes for a quality faucet, toilet, etc. and then call me to install junk (this is not to say that everything contained in a box store is junk, but a lot of it is). If I'm willing to do it at all I tell them that it is not a very good product, what sorts of problems they might expect, and that I will not warranty any product that I do not provide.

As for the cost, a quality, low end, single or double handled, chrome finish faucet will cost $250.00 installed. That's $100.00 for the faucet [(cost + tax) X 2] + $150.00 for the install. It will include the faucet w/pop-up assembly, 2 new supply tubes, new plastic trap, and a limited lifetime warranty on parts and finish w/2 year warranty on labor.

Comment

In my experience the cheaper the parts the more expensive the installation.
                        Especially the chinese made toilet suites.
                        If i have to quote a bathroom fitout i always ask for a list of the fittings to install.
                        once bitten twice shy.

Comment

Ease up AZ. He called me seeking work. I asked if it was a job he could do & he answered in the affirmative. The only record of his work that I had, was his past performance, which was acceptable, albeit no plumbing involved.

Now I know his limitations.
                          You knew he was'nt a licensed plumber. You got what you paid for.

I'll also add, taking such chances by knowingly hiring under-qualified help to save a couple bucks only exposes you and your family to health and property risks that have the potential to make the savings seem pretty trivial in comparison. Next time, hopefully, you'll know better.
                          Last edited by AZPlumber; 04-09-2006, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Glenn,

I'm not sure why anyone would think they need to tell you what you did was not the smartest thing you could have done but I am sure by the title you gave this thread you already knew that. One additional reason nto not hire an unlicensed Contractor is you become the Prime Contractor and as such you are responsible for anything he does including his injuries.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I made the mistake of buying 3 Glacier Bay brushed nickle bathroom sink fixtures on closeout for $50 ea. The other mistake I made was hiring a handyman @ $20/hr, who took 5-6 hrs installing the first one in the guest bath. One of the fixtures that was going in the master bath, had the stainless steel stopper drain separate from the plastic drain pipe. Of course Home Depot no longer stock this Glacier Bay model, nor did they have an aftermarket drain pipe w/ a stainless steel finished drain stopper, only chrome. We tried using silcone to adhere the separated S/S drain stopper back to the plastic pipe, which failed. On top of this, I noticed leaks below the sink. I am now confronting pulling the pair of Glacier Bay fixtures from the master bath sink, finding a new pair of matching fixtures & a true plumber.
                              I noticed that all the Glacier Bay drain pipes were plastic. Is that common today or just w/ the cheap units? What brands should I seek & which should I avoid, besides Glacier Bay?
                              5 to 6 hours on one sink..? it was a painful lesson learned..

Comment

Working...
                              X