X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tool cart etc for bigger jobs

Most of my plumbing lately has been on bigger jobs thay last for 4 months up to a year or so. I've had several tool carts and have yet to find one I really like. A couple were some my boss put together. The first looked like a ice cream handcart. It was narrow enough to fit through any 3 foot door and only about 5 foot long. The front had a jobox mounted on it for my powr tools. chop saw, grinder, cords,and hand tools. The back was three foot tall and had a several small shelves inside for fasteners, copper fittings etc.
    The last one was one of those metal carts put together w/ 1/4 bolts. The casters were crap and when I loaded the top with 1/2,3/4,and 1" copper fitting trays. It became top heavy and unstable.
    I'm thinking about building my own out of thin gauge metal w/ 4" hard rubber casters that can easily go over the large extension cords used on big jobs that feed spider boxes.
    What do you guys use for this application. Other input might save me some time reworking my cart several times brefore I'm happy w/ it.

It needs to be able to carry most of my hand tools,copper fittings, fasteners etc. and have a lockable section for security.

You'll need wheels larger than 4" to get over some of those cords easily or if you make it with a lower set of rigid or straight wheels in the middle so you have your swiveling wheels on the outside corners. then you can rock the cart over the cords and not loose toss your parts everywhere. I'm thinking of the style they have at hardware stores, for hauling lumber and wood panels out to your truck.
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

[quote=carverelli

It needs to be able to carry most of my hand tools,copper fittings, fasteners etc. and have a lockable section for security.[/quote]

look into the knaack box model #40-60 series. i think 1 of them will work good. sort of the snap on box for plumbers

very heavy and secure. pneumatic wheels will help with the large cords. watch out for the drywall screws

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick that is almost exactly what i was looking for. Thanks.The price is fairly steep to go alone but when I figure my tip to making one similar it would probably be cheaper.

Comment

smaller cart

I think i prefer a smaller cart like a shopping cart which makes it possible to go up and down stairs when needed. Also i don't really think i want to drag all my stuff all over the job site, just the stuff i am using that day. But the bigger cart with all the shelves does sound like it would be very very handy but alittle bit impractical.

Comment

Cav,

I have a great cart, but.....won't tell you. You are not a pro, your attitude stinks, and you are unsafe.

Responses mean nothing to me because I will not read it. I only wrote this to needle you.
            the dog

Comment

Since we are on the Ridgid Forums you may want to at least look at the Ridgid Job Site Storage boxes.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Utah, where can I go to look at the Ridgid boxes?
                Dog, thank you for your insight. Very extensive as always.
                The problem i have w/ just carrying what I need to do a certain task, i usually end up doing several things in several different places. Before long, i've got material scattered from one side of the job to the other, or I've spent more time making trips back to my cart than i did if I would have just got my cart to the general vicinity where i was working. There is a point of diminishing returns as far as the size and portability of my cart. The more organized and well kept it is, the more productive i can be. I usually end up spending an hour on Friday afternoon picking up and dejunking my cart.

Comment

The Ridgid Web Site

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/On-Site-Storage/index.htm

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                  X