Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing A Pipe Threader

Hey guys,

I am in a municipal water treatment plant. I need to choose a threader for use at our facility. I will be threading a bunch of 1 1/2" stainless schedule 40 pipe in the beginning. After this project, we will use it for threading assorted galvanized, steel and brass pipe with some stainless pipe possible. I am looking for recommendations. Are there different dies for stainless pipe or is that only for larger 2 1/2 to 4 inch as noted in the dies for the 1224? We will not be treading stainless larger than 2 inch. We may consider the 1224 since we do have large electrical conduits in our facility. However, we will compare cost of the threaders and may stay with a smaller 1/4 to 2 inch machine. We will do most of our treading under 2 inch. Also, can multiple dies heads be used so we don't have to re-install the dies in the same head all the time? Your response is much appreciated. Thanks.

you have 2 choices: either manual or electric. in manual pipe threader, 1/2 to 1 (oor) and 1/2 to 2 (12r). both of these you must use high speed dies. and, machine electric pipe threader 1224 up to 4 inch. with this macjhine, you must use the universal high speed pipe dies.

Comment

stainless no-nos

if you are going to cut stainless and cut regular steel as well, you will need separate cutters for the stainless and the regular steel to prevent the stainless steel from rusting.

The reason for this is that if one uses a die or a cutter with regular steel and then uses the cutter on stainless, tiny particles of iron that were picked up by the cutter from the regular steel cutting will be deposited in the stainless causing miniature corrosion cells. It's amazing how little ferrous steel is needed to cause stainless to corrode (rust).

even a wire brush that has been used on ferrous steel and then later used on stainless can cause the stainless to rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Dpertuit
        Hey guys,

I am in a municipal water treatment plant. I need to choose a threader for use at our facility. I will be threading a bunch of 1 1/2" stainless schedule 40 pipe in the beginning. After this project, we will use it for threading assorted galvanized, steel and brass pipe with some stainless pipe possible. I am looking for recommendations. Are there different dies for stainless pipe or is that only for larger 2 1/2 to 4 inch as noted in the dies for the 1224? We will not be treading stainless larger than 2 inch. We may consider the 1224 since we do have large electrical conduits in our facility. However, we will compare cost of the threaders and may stay with a smaller 1/4 to 2 inch machine. We will do most of our treading under 2 inch. Also, can multiple dies heads be used so we don't have to re-install the dies in the same head all the time? Your response is much appreciated. Thanks.
        I would suggest the Ridgid #300, with the stand, 2 die-heads, etc.

Dies are the same for 1/2" & 3/4"

a seperate set is needed for 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", & 2".

You do need a special set of dies for stainless steal.
        the dog

Comment

Working...
        X