Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing copper?

Anybody ever herd of this?

http://www.justforcopper.com/
    One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

I know it has alot of awards from.....? It doesn't mention. I know it is not UPC approved.

My advice: Ignore it and move along.
    the dog

Comment

Check out 2003 IPC sections 605.9, 605.14, and 605.15. The product doesn't offer any ASTM standards that it meets. It might be great if it really works and was code approved, especially in a repair situation, but what do you think your insurance company is going to say when they figure out that you are trying to file a claim on a flooded house based on a failed non code approved copper joint. I'm betting that you don't really want to find out.

Comment

I saw this posted on another plumbers forum and a home inspector forum. They praised it. I had never heard of it. I’ll let others test it for a few years before I even think about it.
        One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

No More Skills

It seems at first like one of those really obvious ideas that no one thinks of.

Personally I wouldnt touch it.

I think theyre trying for the prestige of copper without needing any skills to put it together.

If youre going to glue the pipe together why not just use PVC.

Time willl tell if the industry will adopt it.

Comment

I have got a sample from them about a year ago. It was not approved by any standards, But they said it would be approved in about a month. I tried guling about 10 joints together & let it sit for a day. The next day I applied about 20 psi to the pipe and 9 of the 10 joints was spraying water out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by RJB
              I have got a sample from them about a year ago. It was not approved by any standards, But they said it would be approved in about a month. I tried guling about 10 joints together & let it sit for a day. The next day I applied about 20 psi to the pipe and 9 of the 10 joints was spraying water out of them.
              could it be the pipe was not prepped properly or the glue was past its shelf life?

i've seen this product for years on the shelves. some faucets use this to glue the spouts onto the nipples of their faucet and tubs. keep in mind that the nipples are threaded onto the spouts and this is in lew of pipe dope/ locktite.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The gule was sent as a sample straight from the manufactor. I done the steps that were on the installation instructions and it did not work. I could have done something wrong in 1 or two of the joints but not all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by tnoisaw
                  I saw this posted on another plumbers forum and a home inspector forum. They praised it. I had never heard of it. I’ll let others test it for a few years before I even think about it.
                  I capped off the pipes in one bathroom/laundry area with CopperBond, another copper glue, and it's held up about four years now. Insurance might have different ideas but they don't want to cover anything homeowners do anyway. If I soldered on a cap and it failed, they'd still refuse to cover it, don't you think? People who aren't paying the wages don't care what happens to the people they force to get all those "certified" repairs.
                  Last edited by Sporter; 06-27-2006, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I almost used that stuff on a 2 inch copper drain line the other day...I may just try it on a copper drain line, but no way would I use it on copper supply pipes.

Just imagine the joint failing and the word getting around that "my plumber tried to glue the copper pipes together and it ended up flooding our house." No thanks, if I'm going to fail, its going to be the respectable way.

Comment

I've seen and used a number of prefabbed tank tees that are assembled with some type of glue. I've never had one fail. Of all the point in a house, the base of the presure tank is going to take the most abuse from the water.

I had a situation were I needed to take one apart. Heating it didn't work so well. I ended up giving up on that idea and moved on to another solution that involved leaving it be.

I would never consider the stuff. I like being able to unsweat or resweat my joints.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporter
                        I capped off the pipes in one bathroom/laundry area with CopperBond, another copper glue, and it's held up about four years now. Insurance might have different ideas but they don't want to cover anything homeowners do anyway. If I soldered on a cap and it failed, they'd still refuse to cover it, don't you think? People who aren't paying the wages don't care what happens to the people they force to get all those "certified" repairs.
                        Look out boys, Sporter is on to the scam.

You all know the secret conspicy that plumbers and insurance companies developed years ago. That's the one where insurance companies refused to cover half-assed homeowner repairs that resulted in tens of thousands of dollars in damage.

Sporter,

What is your occupation?

Huh?

Yea, you complain that your insurance company wants a plumber to repair your your plumbing (WHAT A CONCEPT?), what trade are you in so we can contact you with our problems?

Huh?
                        the dog

Comment

Working...
                        X