X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Things vs Making them Work

I think fixing something is often different from making it work.

We do quite a lot of maintenance work through real estate agents on rental properties.

90% of the time their instruction is "just make it work, quick as you can."And 90% of the time I can see that an extra hour or so would probably fix the problem properly.

Just another example of short term solutions. Make it work now but dont really fix the problem.

I guess I shouldnt give it a second thought because there will always be more work.

Just dont get me started on Real Estate Agents.

Here, here. I guess real-estate agents are the same world wide. “Just get it so it looks like it’s repaired “ seems to be their motto.http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif
    One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

Originally posted by tnoisaw
      Here, here. I guess real-estate agents are the same world wide. “Just get it so it looks like it’s repaired “ seems to be their motto.http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif
      This is what really pisses me off!!!
      You have investors / real estate agents buy a home and put in new outlets that are not really grounded but they then try to sell the house for 50,000 to 100,000 more just because they replaced the outlets and repainted a few walls to cover up cracks! To me this is a dishonest living, you are making your money by screwing the regular guy that just wants a house with a nice yard and a garage! yet in order to get this you have to buy a junk house and upgrade it or buy an existing "fixed up" and inherit someone else's mistakes!!!!

I'd like to get into a nice house but the only thing my family can afford is even further from work and family. But then you have to consider supply and demand. The availability of homes in bountiful and Centerville is small but in Layton (which is about 20 minutes drive further from work) has several homes for sale that are bigger than the high priced homes in south Davis county!
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Hey Josh, how do you handle the fact that some of these types of jobs have to be done after hours because the tenant won't allow you to do it when no one is home. Do you charge overtime rates for that or do you adjust your work hours to suit?

Comment

Bris

In my experience managing agents hate paying penalty rates.Apart from emergency work everything is done during business hours.

Its not my job to fit in around a tennants schedule. I get the agent to let me in and babysit if needs be.

One thing i have learnt is not to do anything without a signed authorisation from the managing agent.
          Last edited by Australian Plumber Josh; 05-30-2006, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Australian Plumber Josh
            Bris
            In my experience managing agents hate paying penalty rates.
            True

One thing i have learnt is not to do anything without a signed authorisation from the managing agent.
            very true

I personally hate that type of work but I have a guy who doesn't mind it so I have him doing it nearly full-time. I let him choose his hours to suit the tenants and instead of keeping track of the hours he works I watch how many jobs he is getting done each week and how much money he is bringing in. If he is not making enough I kick his butt.

Comment

As long as no local codes are being violated I see nothing wrong with the just make it work approach. If you are being asked to violate local codes you need to walk away from the job.
              SSG, U.S. Army
              Retired
              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
              X