Venting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting

I had a question posted on another forum that I am not sure about since as a service plumber my week area is new construction. Here it is verbatim.

“Inspected a small old one bathroom house today. The drain lines were 100% re-plumbed professionally. The plumber did not install a plumbing stack vent but instead used an AAV only.

The question is, what is the down side of not having a vent, only an intake?

The plumbing fixtures worked fine and no signs of the traps getting siphoned.

Can there be a build-up of explosive gasses?

Will the gasses bubble up out of the toilet?

Is this the set-up for an urban legend where the person blows up while smoking on the toilet?”

My thoughts would it handle the amount of fixture units required for the house.
    Any help is appreciated.
    One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Originally posted by tnoisaw
    I had a question posted on another forum that I am not sure about since as a service plumber my week area is new construction. Here it is verbatim.

“Inspected a small old one bathroom house today. The drain lines were 100% re-plumbed professionally. The plumber did not install a plumbing stack vent but instead used an AAV only.

The question is, what is the down side of not having a vent, only an intake?

The plumbing fixtures worked fine and no signs of the traps getting siphoned.

Can there be a build-up of explosive gasses?

Will the gasses bubble up out of the toilet?
    Is this the set-up for an urban legend where the person blows up while smoking on the toilet?”

My thoughts would it handle the amount of fixture units required for the house.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Those of us on the extreme west coast are not allowed to use AAVs at all. The exception would be in Southern Nevada where some are used on So-Vent systems for high rises. One of the main concerns regarding AAvs are they are mechanical and as such can stick and fail allowing sewer gas into the home.

As for exploding water closets that is generally from well water which has a high concentrate of methane gas. The only real problem you might have with a bad AAV is with objectionable odors.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
    X