X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Not Respond

There is obviously a group of dress wearing, bed-wetting, no skill, no education idiots trying to make a living selling useless items over the internet on this site. The best bet is to ignore these losers. Someday they may get the knowledge togather to get a real job (though I doubt it). As it stands now, they don't have the skills to be tele-marketers. Which in today's economy means they are the bottom feeders that live off the taxes that single guys like I pay every week out of my check. Yea, they have a job, but they have kids that are supported out of my check.

Avoid these drains on America at all costs, do not respont to them.
    the dog

Noted. Will do.
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I hate to say it but ignoring them probably will not help. It costs them nothing to open a thread (and I'm not suggesting that Ridgid should even think about charging people to participate on this site!) and I'm sure they could absolutely care less what anyone thinks of them as long as their threads produce traffic on their sites and even if they don't produce any traffic, oh yeah, it costs them nothing to try. The only way to correct this would be for Ridgid to publish (and I think maybe they already have) site rules prohibiting this activity. Of course once they do that then they have to enforce the rules. I'm not exactly sure how they do that but I do know that a thread that I started once was closed and locked by Josh after he, well, actually, I don't know why he closed and locked it now, but I know he did. As a matter of fact, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that I may be the proud owner of the only closed and locked thread on this site, at least on the plumbing side of things anyway, but I could be wrong. So if any of the people who have the authority and ability to close and lock threads did so as soon as these things came up, so that even the people who are posting them can't get back into them, then that might help.
      Last edited by ECS; 06-04-2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure it is an individual sitting at a keyboard who is doing it. It could be someone with a program which just spams the heck out of as many sites as it can. Since that kid in Texas got hit with a $1,000,000 in fines for spamming this stuff might be from overseas now. If I was more savy I would figure out a way to give his server a couple million hits per day and I guarantee the spamming would stop.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i've suggested to josh that first time posters have their thread filtered so that the spaming will stop.

maybe it will happen and this will work.

it seems that all of these spams end up in the first forum, plumbing.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
            i've suggested to josh that first time posters have their thread filtered so that the spaming will stop.

maybe it will happen and this will work.

it seems that all of these spams end up in the first forum, plumbing.

rick.
            Maybe those spammers know something about plumbers!!

Comment

One of the surfing, yes surfing, forums I regularly visit had the same problem. Fortunately, there are users termed moderators on this site that somehow find the IP of the offending spammer and block it, as well as any foul mouthed posters(kids visit the site). They appear to be using a different script than we are, but it had been very effective at keeping the ads out. Does our script allow IP blocking. Please I don't want to be the guinea pig to find out.
              Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Screening sounds good for those who are already in. The problem is that this forum is a very very small part of my responsibility. I know when I post somewhere that I dont want aproval a day later I want my post up there so I can get an answer ASAP.

If this problem continues I may have to resort to something like that. The IP addresses of these posters are comming from Japan. If they dont get referals from our forum then I doubt they will continue pestering us.

Please dont respond to their posts because every time you post it kicks their post to the top of the list.

Ill keep an eye on this and will take actions to keep it under control without making the forum hard to use for new members.

Josh

Comment

Here is a technique that many sites are using to stop the robots from posting... Just a thought for first time sign up

Before allowing access to the Download Centre, we must first ask
                  that you log in using the number found in the security image below.

Enter the number seen in the image above into the text field and then press the "Log In" button.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
                    Screening sounds good for those who are already in. The problem is that this forum is a very very small part of my responsibility. I know when I post somewhere that I dont want aproval a day later I want my post up there so I can get an answer ASAP.

If this problem continues I may have to resort to something like that. The IP addresses of these posters are comming from Japan. If they dont get referals from our forum then I doubt they will continue pestering us.

Please dont respond to their posts because every time you post it kicks their post to the top of the list.

Ill keep an eye on this and will take actions to keep it under control without making the forum hard to use for new members.

Josh

I'm with Josh here.

Censorship always seems like an easy answer. It almost never is. It becomes complicated, and destroys the free flow of ideas. I say we stick with ignoring it for awhile, and alter the situation if it doesn't stop.

Just my opinion.
                    the dog

Comment

What about this?

Do the spammers ALWAYS list in the first section automatically? If so why not just create a new heading called "Spammers Delight" and place it in the first position. That way all the spam goes into an empty hole that won't interfere with the rest of the site and nobody has to be bothered with it unless they choose to be?

Comment

Working...
                      X