X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defective Float - Sump Pump

My first post and probably last. I just had an experience with my Sump Pump that cost me money, I always look to forums as the best place for information. The floater has a bulge (bump) on upper part. If the bulge is facing against the shaft (body) of the pump it stops the float from getting high enough to turn the pump on. So the pump works perfectly until the bulge shifts (turns a little) and is lined up against the body of the pump. This protruding bulge looks like a small breast where the nipple is indented, sticks out around ½ inch.

Has anyone ever hears of such a floater and are these defective type of floater common?

http://www.fdcservers.net/plumber/plumber.htm

History;

I replaced my old pump with a new Ridgid because we are re-doing our basement and I thought it would be a good preventive measure. We also have a watchdog back up that failed (The little piece of $hit sensor failed) just bad luck, all the hardwood floors that were less than a weak old were trashed.

Our builder recommended that it would not hurt to replace the sump pump and had his Plummer do it. He is a great guy and handled the situation very well, needless to say he told me he would never replace a sump pump after this experience. He is still a big fan of Ridgid. His plumber suggested that the pump heated up and melted the floater. I personally think that is impossible because I just tapped the unit and it worked. I think the Plummer just did not see the bulged…… mistakes happen.

Thanks
    Last edited by music; 06-13-2006, 07:19 AM.

see if you can post a picture of this float. it sounds like the float might have overheated internally and warped.

sounds like with all the damage done, the insurence co. would like to see the faulty part.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I will post pixs when I get home. My insurance already covered the damage.

I do not understand how the float could overheated internally sitting in cold water. Very interesting possibility, I still think I got a bad float.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by music
        I will post pixs when I get home. My insurance already covered the damage.

I do not understand how the float could overheated internally sitting in cold water. Very interesting possibility, I still think I got a bad float.

thanks
        the float is either a mercury type switch or mechanical switch. i've seen them melt and short out.

the insurence co. will probably have an expert look into it if the payout was alot.

lets see some photos.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

If the builder had his plumber install the pump how is it that your insurance company got stuck with the bill instead of the builder covering it. Your rates will go up

Comment

http://www.fdcservers.net/plumber/plumber.htm

I put my finger in the hole and broke a thin plastic.

Notice that the lever does not raise enough to turn the pump on. This is a working sump pump it is the floater that is the problem.

Comment

i got the picture now. the float is not the electrical switch. it's just a float.

two things wrong. the float will not float when it's full of water and the float looks like it will hit the pump when it wasn't full of water.

good question how did it get to be like that

maybe a service rep from ridgid can respond

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

not to play detective, but it looks like the pump is sitting on the gas cook top. did you cook the thing

is it possible that the plumber put hot water into the pit to test the pump? is your water heater also in the basement?

maybe i'm onto something?

nice granite countertop

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

the float is dry inside...it had a thin plastic over it that I put my fingure threw when I first looked at it.

"maybe a service rep from ridgid can respond" Hope so......Hard to figure out.

Comment

"not to play detective, but it looks like the pump is sitting on the gas cook top. did you cook the thing"

LOL ...NO just have great lighting and figured best place to take the picture.

"is it possible that the plumber put hot water into the pit to test the pump? is your water heater also in the basement? "

No. Hot water heater is other side of basement

"maybe i'm onto something? "
                    I hope so

"nice granite countertop"
                    Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks
                      If the builder had his plumber install the pump how is it that your insurance company got stuck with the bill instead of the builder covering it. Your rates will go up
                      The normal way to do things is to get the clients home fixed first then the insurance company will consider subrogating against the builder.Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Looks like maybe the heat from the pump did the damage to the float...

Comment

If the pump got that hot I do not think it would still be working as it would of burned it out and/or shorted it out. The pump is in perfect shape.

Hopefully a Ridgid person will offer an explination and or comment.
                          Last edited by music; 06-13-2006, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I'll try to get one of our tech guys to answer this. Jeff moved on to sales he was my old semimoderator.

Josh

Comment

Thanks Josh

If he needs additional info he can pm me. I would also be happly to exchange a phone call if you could recommend a contact.

Comment

Working...
                              X