X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introductions are in order

Good morning. my name is Steve Hess and i am the owner/operator of a startup company SewerSnake of the VI. i will do grain cleaning, inspection, and location.

my arsenal includes a K-75A, a K-50, & a K-39 cleaner.

i have a "silent" partner tnat is not very big on technology, but is a great plumber. maintenance to new construction and refubishing is his forte.

he has ordered a Scout locator with a 512Hz sonde, but is adamant against a camera system. he makes comments like, "i don't want to look at s*** in a pipe" and "it'll never sell here". i feel differently.

i have lurked here for a while and i like the level of experience and knowledge i have found.

hope i don't embarrass myself too much with dumb questions, but sometimes i need a conformation of the obvious.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

stxrus, welcome to the forums. I'll let the other guys confirm that seesnake would be a moneymaker for your shop. There are a good number of guys that have cameras registered here and should be able to tell you about their systems.

Josh

Comment

Steve.Welcome to the Forum and invite your partner to read some of the posts here regarding the SeeSnake. The SeeSnake makes you smarter than you really are and allows you to show the client at the same time. It would end up being your favorite tool and seperate you from the others who don't use one.Good luck-Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus
        he has ordered a Scout locator with a 512Hz sonde, but is adamant against a camera system. he makes comments like, "i don't want to look at s*** in a pipe" and "it'll never sell here". i feel differently.

steve
        steve if all your partner wants to do is locate where the sewer pipe is, then the scout and transmitter will work fine.

if you want to know what the real problem is and properly diagnoise the sewer, you need a camera.

i always try to run the camera even if i'm just looking for the pipe. it's much easier to get an idea where the pipe is. sometimes you will locate a buried cleanout too.

start off with the scout and then get so frustraited that you will end up selling the scout to me or buy the camera and keep me from working in your town.

p.s. i will still vacation there

rick. owner of 8 cameras (5- seesnakes)
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick why do you need so many cameras, do you have a number of employees working with you? Or do they break down often?

Comment

thanks for the warm greetings. this will be a great adventure i am sure.

this is the 1st time in a looooong time i've worked for myself, not counting a bit of music.

the scout is on island, just have to pick it up tomorrow and start learning.

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

[quote=freddy]Rick why do you need so many cameras, do you have a number of employees working with you? Or do they break down often?[/quote

freddy, my wife ask the same question. i tell here that is her live insurence policy.

i started with my first camera, an original seesnake b&w prior to ridgid getting into the game. this was even before the 512 locator. i've been able to upgrade many times and made some poor choices along the way. the seesnake is not foolproof, but is the best choice so far. i keep 3 cameras in the truck along with 2 monitors and 3 locators. the rest sit on the shelf including a new 325 b&w and a 200 color. sort of like investing. my first camera ran $3000. no monitor. now the units are in the 5-7k range.
              i like the toolbox monitor/ vcr. for portability. but the full size 10'' is a lot better picture.

the scout is a faster to use tool than my older models. the navitrack has too many bells and whistles for a normal inspection and location. plus when they first came out the case was the size of a set of golf clubs now it folds and is easier to store

with all these speciality tools, i keep busy doing inspections for other contractors too. i always make a real tape during the inspection. not out to sell a job to a homeowner without all the facts and history.
              so many others in this field are out to sell without ever making a tape for the owner to see.

i know that if a doctor was to take an x-ray and not show it to the patient, or allow the patient to take it to another doctor for a second opinion, the patient would probably be leary.
              i see this happening all the time with sewer inspections. no video tape for the customer to see or keep or get another opinion. a vhs tape only cost $1. you're paying hundreds for this inspection. give them a tape!

sorry i got off subject, but i see a trend with all of these new get rich quick companies in the service end of the trade.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

We sell, rent and repair seesnakes, K-39, locators and all other Ridgid plumbing products. Almost everyone we deal with has at least one seesnake. I'm not sure what your competition is like on the island but for the companies we deal with, making a video is pretty common for anyone who charges for pipe inspections. From my understanding they typically pay for themselves rather quickly. If your partner doesn’t want to use it himself maybe you can convince him it’s for the customer’s benefit.
                Jay
                Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

My structure is a little different than others in that I charge for my equipment by the day regarless of how many sewers I camera. The project I just finished had $9,250 in additional equipment charges (SeeSnake & Navitrack) which would just about pay for a new top of the line self-leveling SeeSnake. The camera work is just part of the work on this project. The entire project is beyond 6-figures so far and if I did not have my own equipment I may not have even been given the job. So it is not always about how much extra you can make from using the camera it is also the additional work which becomes available to you because you own your own camera and locator.Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                  X