X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 inch pipe wrench cracked---no lifetimeon it------

Ridgid ad in magazine says "Housing carries unconditional guarantee not to break or warp". I called company and all they could say was send it to us and we will LOOK at it. That's not what I call a guarantee. That's a we will if we want to and if we don't your out shipping on a very heavy wrench. So--we need to get job done and just weld up the crack and take up theproblem later. Now it's---oh, you welded--now all is off, never weld. Ha ha, you loose. I ask------if it was not cracked you think anyone would just weld????? No deal---I loose. Don't fall for the guarentee bit. May as well buy at ChinaMart. Harbor Freight will do better than that.

Originally posted by Stardrilling
    Ridgid ad in magazine says "Housing carries unconditional guarantee not to break or warp". I called company and all they could say was send it to us and we will LOOK at it. That's not what I call a guarantee. That's a we will if we want to and if we don't your out shipping on a very heavy wrench. So--we need to get job done and just weld up the crack and take up theproblem later. Now it's---oh, you welded--now all is off, never weld. Ha ha, you loose. I ask------if it was not cracked you think anyone would just weld????? No deal---I loose. Don't fall for the guarentee bit. May as well buy at ChinaMart. Harbor Freight will do better than that.
    So I guess you thought they would take you at your word that you owned a 60" wrench and just ship you a new one. I own a 60" wrench which the handle has such a bend to it it looks more like a strung long bow than a pipe wrench and it never cracked. You must have put some real abuse to your wrench to have cracked it.

Regardless of how much abuse I have given a pipe wrench my supplier has always replaced my broken wrench after I have brought it to them. However, the key is I had to give them the broken wrench before they would hand me the new one.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i'm jealous, i don't own a 60'' wrench.

but i do own some nice aluminum 36'' and 48'' wrenches

stupid question, what are you trying to work on with a 5' wrench

how can one person damage a wrench of this size

if a cheater was used, you lose

of course i am know to use a cheater every now and then, but i've never damaged or bent a wrench

most of my new wrenches are aluminum and i've installed rubber bike grips on the end of the handles. this keeps me from using a cheater and it keeps my wedding ring from absorbing all the pressure of the handle

sorry, i'm with utah. i would have brought it in to a local suppy house for the ridgid rep to look at. anyone that owns a 60'' wrench and uses it, has got to be in the trade and has a rapore with a local supply house.

for what it's worth, you can find a replacement on ebay for 1/2 price

i know you needed to finish the job at the time, but something tells me the job was beyond the capacity of this monster wrench. maybe a chain wrench was needed

we all would like to know what are you wrenching with that wrench?

thanks,

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

thats Wye in the guarantee they say they will replace under manufacture failure not due to abuse to the tool

if you put a pipe on the end of the wrench ,hit it with a hammer or use it like a pry bar it is not covered
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

My guess is he is a well digger and he is working with well piping or casing.

I bent my 60" wrench when my compound wrench could not do the job so I put a come-a-long on the end of the handle put some tention on it and lightly taped it a few times with a sledge hammer. It got the job done and made a scary looking wrench at the same time.

I have broke a few aluminum wrenches by hitting them with a hammer. On those I figure it was my bad so I salvaged the jaws for the next wrench.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

in my line of work if i cant get it apart with a wrench i cut it and weld a new thread on it
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Stardrill10,

I have, as anyone on this forum can attest to, been critical of Ridgid when I felt it was appropriate. I have never had a warrenty problem with them on hand tools. Your post did not indicate the result of their findings.

If you broke a 60" wrench it was abused. But send it in. I can't speak for Ridgid, but I have never been refused a warrenty issue.

As for going to Harbor Freight, you should. You have posted here with no indication of your location, and your occupation indicates "makes holes", which is a laborer. Use Chinese tool from now on, but leave the real work to plumbers, pipefitters, and pipelayers who know real tools and know what they are doing.
              the dog

Comment

Originally posted by Stardrilling
                and how would they know if its really a Ridgid pipe wrench if you dont show it to them first..? oh by the way, i have seen a 60inch bent more than 90 degrees, believe me..

Comment

To clear up any misunderstandings regarding the wrench handle warranty; the “housing” is unconditionally warranted. If the housing or the “ears” ever break or distort, The Ridge Tool Company will replace the handle for free. (Please refer to the sketch below for definition of “housing” and “ears”.)

The “handle area, as shown above, is designed to withstand pulling forces in excess of Federal Specifications GGG-W00651e. When the wrench is loaded in excess of these minimum limits, the wrench handle area will start to bend. If the handle bends, the wrench has done its job and should be replaced at the customer's expense. Bent handles, or handles that bend and then break, are not covered under warranty and usually indicate the use of a mechanical device commonly referred to as a “cheater”. “Cheater” devices are considered a means of misuse or abuse and if used, can result in serious injury.

If on the other hand, a “handle” breaks without bending, replacement is made at no charge. However, please understand warranty qualification cannot be determined unless both pieces of the broken handle are returned. Warranty handles must be returned for inspection.

We strongly suggest damaged or bent handles not be used as they can result in serious injuries. Thank you for your continued interest and safe use of RIDGID’s products.
                  Attached Files

Comment

ToolMan,

Thanks for clarifying this.

What you have stated is pretty much what I remember being taught as an apprentice and what I had told someone on this forum when the subject came up about 18 months ago, at least as far as using cheaters and not expecting Ridgid (or any company for that matter) to replace the tool after it has been misused.

One question about you statement concerning loading, you stated "When the wrench is loaded in excess of these minimum limits". Did you mean minimum or maximum here? Seems like MAX loading is the point beyond which the wrench could be damaged or fail not minimum.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-13-2006, 06:00 PM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D,
                      Because RIDGID wrenches exceed the Federal Specification, we consider the government specs as the minimum amount of force the wrench with take.

Comment

Originally posted by ToolMan
                        To clear up any misunderstandings regarding the wrench handle warranty; the “housing” is unconditionally warranted. If the housing or the “ears” ever break or distort, The Ridge Tool Company will replace the handle for free. (Please refer to the sketch below for definition of “housing” and “ears”.)

The “handle area, as shown above, is designed to withstand pulling forces in excess of Federal Specifications GGG-W00651e. When the wrench is loaded in excess of these minimum limits, the wrench handle area will start to bend. If the handle bends, the wrench has done its job and should be replaced at the customer's expense. Bent handles, or handles that bend and then break, are not covered under warranty and usually indicate the use of a mechanical device commonly referred to as a “cheater”. “Cheater” devices are considered a means of misuse or abuse and if used, can result in serious injury.

If on the other hand, a “handle” breaks without bending, replacement is made at no charge. However, please understand warranty qualification cannot be determined unless both pieces of the broken handle are returned. Warranty handles must be returned for inspection.

We strongly suggest damaged or bent handles not be used as they can result in serious injuries. Thank you for your continued interest and safe use of RIDGID’s products.

That policy is understandable, but that's not what is written on the decal of Ridgid pipe wrenches. It states that the handle will be replaced if the housing breaks or distorts. Is not a bent handle a distorted housing?

There is also no information as to the maximum load limits or that the use of a cheater bar disqualifies the warrenty.

If your post reflects the actual Ridgid warrenty policy, I think your warrenty decal is a little misleading.
                        the dog

Comment

I stand corrected on the issue of "housing". After reviewing your attached illustration I can see the Ridgid definition of what the "housing" is.

But, again, that information is not included with the wrench. I think that most people who read the warrenty decal assume that the wrench will be replaced if it is bent or breaks.
                          the dog

Comment

Working...
                          X