X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang thieves!

Here I am busting my butt doing the best job I can. When I get home, I have the city hired contractors installing a trenchless sewer system on my street taking my perfectly good materials and replacing them with stuff I would not use. About 7 years ago, I replaced my sewer lateral and used a USA made cast iron Kelly at my property line. They've replaced it with a communist made Kelly. I also used USA made CI clean out and a brass plug. Now that's gone! My all concrete christy box is gone too! They're using the concrete christy box with the plastic rim. Mine was perfect and all concrete. I don't even know where to find one without the plastic. It just burns me up that they took my stuff!

Originally posted by plumb crazy purple
    Here I am busting my butt doing the best job I can. When I get home, I have the city hired contractors installing a trenchless sewer system on my street taking my perfectly good materials and replacing them with stuff I would not use. About 7 years ago, I replaced my sewer lateral and used a USA made cast iron Kelly at my property line. They've replaced it with a communist made Kelly. I also used USA made CI clean out and a brass plug. Now that's gone! My all concrete christy box is gone too! They're using the concrete christy box with the plastic rim. Mine was perfect and all concrete. I don't even know where to find one without the plastic. It just burns me up that they took my stuff!
    plumb crazy, one thing that you don't have to worry about now is a stoppage.

if they are using hdpe sdr17 pipe (the standard trenchless), you'll never have to worry about roots or pipe that rots

i do trenchless and i can take a sledge hammer to the pipe with no harm. believe me i do demo it with the sledge and i do use a sledge to drive the last 1' or so in. try that with any other material. the joints are fused at 500 degrees and the material is identical to the yellow gas hdpe sdr11. once again the standard for undergound gas piping.

is a "kelly" also known as an "ibco"

i prefer a jim cap. they never rust and will come off as needed .

hope i've calmed you down.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Plumber Rick. Thanks for the upside of the situation. Things could have easily been worse. I did come home tonight to find a small pile of dirt in the middle of the sidewalk waiting for someone to trip over. Looks like the guys were in too much of a rush to go home.

Inspectors around here don't allow the use of jim caps in place of a c.o. and plug. I've used them "temporarily" and left them a bit loose in case there's a back up, the jim cap will pop off. A Kelly is a fitting that allows a snake to go both ways (upstream and downstream). Never known a kelly as a ibco.

Again, things could have been worse. I just hate shoddy material, shady work and others messing with my work.

Comment

plumb crazy, an ''ibco" is an iron body clean out. basically a female adapter that allows a plug to be screwed in.

a kelly fitting is not legal here. no 2 way cleanout is legal here. 1 way around that is the use of a test tee. this will allow for 2 direction cleaning.

personally i prefer a "texas twin" basically a short pattern cris cross twin facing comby. picture 1 comby installed facing downstream and 1 facing upstream. with their own risers. sure you can band 2 combies together, but this is one piece and is 25% shorter than 2 combies. great for snaking both ways. still not legal, but it's the best thing out there.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

2-way clean out

Here's a pic of one style CI 2-way CO, in this case a No-Hub® fitting.

Charlotte's full catalog or CI and plastic fittings can be found here:
          http://www.charlottepipe.com/Default...CastIron#Types

You might also check out the Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute.
          Check out their 226 page handbook for some interesting history on CI pipe production in the US and other information on CI pipe.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Rick (or Rick's Wife, or The Other Plumbers Wife---I'm getting pretty confused),

Are you sure a double clean-out fitting is illegal in California? I'll have to check the code but I thought it was legal.
            the dog

Comment

I know a Kelly to be like an inverted Y on top of a straight pipe. One opening on top that leads upstream and downstream. They are required in my neck of the woods in California.

Thanks for the term "ibco". Up until now, I've just called it a clean out adaptor.

Comment

Working...
              X