Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand!

Hey Everyone:

I just married a journeyman plumber. He comes home exhausted and beat up.
    I want to understand and empathize with what he's going through. I know it's a tough job....he works on new malls and big municipal contracts.

He doesn't really want to talk about it much. So, does anyone want to share some war stories with me so that I have a real feel for the challenges he faces?

What were some of the most difficult, challenging or horrible things you have faced on the job?

I know y'all have some!

Lyn--AKA plumrswife

lyn, i will foward this to my wife. sounds like you might have married me too

sounds like my wife might have married your husband

i'm sure my wife can give you the low down

hey does your husband know that your playing on our forum

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Ok so after all the fighting and arguing and fun I have viewed for the last year or so it has taken this for me to join the forum on my own!

I guess the next thing I have to admit is that I am Rick's wife.

plumrswife, my occupation is so completely removed from plumbing; however, I have spent lots of time on jobs with my husband "playing". I personally love working with the tools and seeing how things work.

I always look at the end of the day for new wounds and injuries, because anything that slips by is fair game for not fessing up about. (It is usually quite obvious though)

You should look through old forum posts for war stories. I forgot what they are titled, but there is something about "ouch"

Just think you will always have hot water and a working toilet. What could make a girl happier? Although there are times when it is like the shoemakers kids who don't have shoes. That's why it is handy to know how to fix things yourself. . .especially for the times when you have to fix the issue and put everything back together before your husband comes home and catches you!

The bigger question here is why is my husband home on this forum instead of out working while I am here at work?!?

Joey
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

From the horse's mouth

Hey Rick--You made me laugh. But I want YOUR war stories. Not your wife's.
        Though, I'm sure she has lots of dirt beyond what's in your work clothes!!!

Comment

We ARE lucky!!!

Rick is a lucky man to have a wife who values his trade. Having paid a princely sum for plumbing repairs (before I met my husband), I can now sit back and have everything taken care of. I want him to install that toilet with the auto-close seat!!!

And yes, Rick, shouldn't you be roddig a sewer or something????

lyn

Comment

now i'm confused

so which "plumberwife" is my wife

i was expecting a phone call from the real plumber rick's wife.

p.s. i'm leaving to go crawl around in the dirt. have dinner ready

rick.

i hope i didn't open a can of whipass

maybe she is actually "plumbers" wife. also in chicago
            phoebe it is

Comment

A little piece of advice

Not knowing who YOUR wife is will get you in trouble every time!

Your wife is the one who will not have dinner ready for you so turn off the computer and go fend for yourself.

Joey
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

BOY O BOY

i hope my wife does not log on she can tell you

I'm sure something nice

maybe josh can start a new area wife's corner
                Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 07-06-2006, 08:18 PM.
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Welcome to the forum "wife of rick" (which ever you are). Oh I'm sorry, "ball'nchain".

Welcome to the forum, "wife of another plumber" (which ever you are).
                  the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumrswife
                    Hey Rick--You made me laugh. But I want YOUR war stories. Not your wife's.
                    Though, I'm sure she has lots of dirt beyond what's in your work clothes!!!
                    I've worked in plumbing for 20+ years. If you want war stories see the 18 year old kids in Iraq. Plumbing is like any other trade: sometimes hard, sometimes not. But the attitude coming home has nothing to do with the job, but the individual. The worst day in plumbing is better than being in Iraq, being a child with cancer, being hungry. If more plumbers understood this they and their families would be happier.

My $.02.
                    the dog

Comment

the story of any given day at work

pipe over here, pipe over there.

Comment

Hey PlumbersWife

Don't let him kid you. Being a Plumber is about chasing good looking women. When working in the mall we might get in a good half hour work in a day, the women just won't leave us alone.

...and when we're on a service call in some babes house, you know she will be taking a shower while we fix the sink. She will always ask us to scrub her back, and .........

I tell you, being a plumber is exhausting work.

Comment

I had to respond on Rck's log in. He doesn't remember his passwords and I can't stay up late enough to remind him.

Dog- I couldn't sign on as "ball n chain". But I am with you there are so many worse things out there. I run a non-profit transitional housing organization for emancipated foster youth with a child under 5. So, at the end of the day plumbing sounds pretty good!

Big Thom, yeah. yeah. I've heard it all. You guys may be the professionals, but between working with teenagers and growing up with 3 older brothers I can detect BS from a mile away. You all wish your jobs could be as exciting as the stories you tell! Don't forget about the girls that stand over you while you are under a sink or the ones that answer the door without any clothes on.

Joey
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                            I had to respond on Rck's log in. He doesn't remember his passwords and I can't stay up late enough to remind him.

Dog- I couldn't sign on as "ball n chain". But I am with you there are so many worse things out there. I run a non-profit transitional housing organization for emancipated foster youth with a child under 5. So, at the end of the day plumbing sounds pretty good!

Big Thom, yeah. yeah. I've heard it all. You guys may be the professionals, but between working with teenagers and growing up with 3 older brothers I can detect BS from a mile away. You all wish your jobs could be as exciting as the stories you tell! Don't forget about the girls that stand over you while you are under a sink or the ones that answer the door without any clothes on.

Joey
                            joey, you have your own sign in account now. stop using mine i'm getting confused

the part about the girls standing over me while i'm under the sink, and the girl answering the door naked is all true i can't make the good stuff up

now will the real plumbers wife please make dinner tomorrow night, or at least reservations

i better quit while i'm ahead, and everything is still attached

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Apples to Oranges

Or, perhaps sour grapes. I would never compare a day in the plumbing trades to the War in Iraq!
                              Because that would just be apples to oranges.

From your reply, sounds like you did have a bad day at "the office."

I don't think my sincere request to understand what my husband goes through deserved quite so sour a reply.

Plumrs wife

Comment

Working...
                              X