Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C36 Educational Resources

Hello,
    Hate for my first post to be a ? but would like to get right to the chase. I live in the Coachella Valley and would like any help in locating educational resources to obtain my C36 California plumbing license. Anyone know of a good school, study course or anything that would help please lend a hand 8).
    BTW I have 17 years in the construction field and approximately 10 years in the area of plumbing, from finish to rough to service and some boiler operation thrown in there as well. Thank you in advance for any input.

I took the test about 10 years ago (and passed). Basically, if the test is the same today, you should not have a problem passing the trade part of the exam if your qualifications are as you stated. It is pretty basic.

The business and law exam is what even long time plumbers often fail. I studied based on a school that, as far as I know, no longer exists. Peerless Institute has some study materials that seem to be good, but I haven't used them myself so I can't give you an iron clad guarentee. But it might be a place to look.

They publish a number of construction handbooks etc. under the name BNI. You should be able to find them easy through a Google search. If not, send me a private message or repost and I will give you the web address.

I'm using one of their books to study for the "A" (General Engineering Contractor) exam right now.
    Last edited by plumbdog10; 07-08-2006, 10:50 PM.
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
      I took the test about 10 years ago (and passed). Basically, if the test is the same today, you should not have a problem passing the trade part of the exam if your qualifications are as you stated. It is pretty basic.

The business and law exam is what even long time plumbers often fail. I studied based on a school that, as far as I know, no longer exists. Peerless Institute has some study materials that seem to be good, but I haven't used them myself so I can't give you an iron clad guarentee. But it might be a place to look.

They publish a number of construction handbooks etc. under the name BNI. You should be able to find them easy through a Google search. If not, send me a private message or repost and I will give you the web address.

I'm using one of their books to study for the "A" (General Engineering Contractor) exam right now.
      i'm with the dog.

what happens at these type of schools is that they basically have a copy of the state exam. an identical word for word stdy guide. all they do is drill you on the questions and answers. will you remember enough to pass the test? yes. will you remember enough to be able to use in your contracting business? no

books and steady guides are good. will you retain enough to pass the test? maybe.

if you want to pass without all the studying, take the class 1 week before the exam. if you want to know the law portion, read the book.

the trade portion is a piece of cake. don't waste too much time prepping for this portion.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Update on materials.

I have bought a few things listed below, but a little insight into me I am a worrier. I like to be 200% sure I have all I need to pass. I also am looking into License Instruction Schools. They are pretty much what Plumber Rick stated but have a 2 day cram session right before the exam which I think would help me. As I said I bought these materials.

Master Plumber Study Guide

Plumbers Licensing Guide (CA)

Quick Card Plumbing Tables & Formulas

Quick Card Plumbing Code Essentials

Quick Card Plumbing Blueprint Symbols

Quick Pass Study Tools for the Plumbing License Exam (CD Rom)
        This has mock tests for the computer.

I also have Plumbing Code flash Cards.

I am fairly proficient in math so as long as I brush up I think I'll be ok. What I really am after is for someone to push me out of the nest LOL. Thanks for the replies I'll keep you posted. Planning on scheduling the test soon so I can take it in a couple months. That should give me enough time to study up.

Comment

Separate Test Rules

Ah one more ? I believe that in California you can pass one section (trade or law) of the test and fail the other, and only have to retake the portion you failed, is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Plumber
            Ah one more ? I believe that in California you can pass one section (trade or law) of the test and fail the other, and only have to retake the portion you failed, is this true?
            true,

desert plumber, you are going to drive yourself nuts

you have way too many books and guides that your trying to study. you already know the trade, right

study the law end and take that crash course. basically it's the test word for word. at least it was when i took it.

good luck and put away all the other study guides. it too much information at this time.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have bought a few things listed below, but a little insight into me I am a worrier. I like to be 200% sure I have all I need to pass. I also am looking into License Instruction Schools. They are pretty much what Plumber Rick stated but have a 2 day cram session right before the exam which I think would help me. As I said I bought these materials.

Master Plumber Study Guide

Plumbers Licensing Guide (CA)

Quick Card Plumbing Tables & Formulas

Quick Card Plumbing Code Essentials

Quick Card Plumbing Blueprint Symbols

Quick Pass Study Tools for the Plumbing License Exam (CD Rom)
              This has mock tests for the computer.

I also have Plumbing Code flash Cards.

I am fairly proficient in math so as long as I brush up I think I'll be ok. What I really am after is for someone to push me out of the nest LOL. Thanks for the replies I'll keep you posted. Planning on scheduling the test soon so I can take it in a couple months. That should give me enough time to study up.

This is not (as we used to call it) a put-down. But, if you are worried about passing the trade exam, you are not ready to be a contractor. Stay in the trade a few years, learn the business end and then move to contractor. Guys like Rick can tell you that the business end is probably more important than the plumbing end if you want to be a contractor. But if you do not know the plumbing end well, you are doomed for failure.
              the dog

Comment

Worried

I respectfully disagree Dog. Just because I'm worried does not mean I can not succeed as a contractor. It just means that I am unfamiliar with the testing criteria. I don't want to step into the test and fail. I want to pass the first time and want to be sure I equipt myself with all that I need. I know my trade and am top in my company for what I do. I am not worried about my knowledge just dont want a question to come up like "What is an acceptable material for a fuse plug according to ASME?" BTW I know that answer to. But just an example. I operated boilers and most of the questions on the test didn't even apply to the marine type boilers I was operating they were of 3 story coal fired boilers. Those of which are none even in my area. Maybe you understood me...

Comment

I agree Rick

I believe you are right Rick. I believe I do have quite a bit of info but I am looking into a crash course at the moment that will help me pass the test. I appreciate your reply. I feel more confident already.

Comment

I respectfully disagree Dog. Just because I'm worried does not mean I can not succeed as a contractor. It just means that I am unfamiliar with the testing criteria. I don't want to step into the test and fail. I want to pass the first time and want to be sure I equipt myself with all that I need. I know my trade and am top in my company for what I do. I am not worried about my knowledge just dont want a question to come up like "What is an acceptable material for a fuse plug according to ASME?" BTW I know that answer to. But just an example. I operated boilers and most of the questions on the test didn't even apply to the marine type boilers I was operating they were of 3 story coal fired boilers. Those of which are none even in my area. Maybe you understood me...
                    Desert,

I'm with Rick. Relax a little. If you know the trade, which you seem to, you will be fine. When I took the trade exam it consisted of about 100 questions. I belive you had to get 70% to pass (plus they lowered the pass percentage a certain amount for each year of experience you had over the required four years). I think I had to get a 68% to pass.

Even if you have to get the full 70%, that means you can miss 30 questions!

Further, keep in mind that at least half of the questions could probably be answered by a third year apprentice. I really believe you will walk out suprised at how easy the trade exam is.

I've always been good at test taking so here are some general tips:

1) Go through the test and answer all of the questions you know. Don't burn up all your time trying to answer question #3. If you don't know it, skip it. If you just keep moving you will find that most of the questions can be answered off of the top of your head.

2) Go back through the test and attempt the ones you didn't answer. You will find that sometimes one of the other questions you read either contained the answer, or jogged your memory.

3) If there is a question you absolutly don't know, guess. You have a 25% of getting it right.

4) Go back through and check your answers. This is to make sure you didn't accidently click the wrong answer.

5) Don't go to the test in a panic. Relax. You can always retake either of the tests, and next time you will be more prepared.

6) Concentrate on the law and business exam, this is the one failed the most.

Good Luck.
                    the dog

Comment

One more thing. I wouldn't start studing now, you will forget most of it by the time you test. You don't schedule your test, they do. Here's how it works:

You mail in you application. In about 6-8 weeks you'll recieve a reply saying your application has been approved and a test has been scheduled. Your test day will be about eight weeks from then. Once you take the test, you will be told your results instantly (they will tell you pass or fail only), but you are far from a licensed contractor. Your official results will be mailed in about 6 weeks, along with more paperwork to fill out. You fill that out and send it back in. In about another 6-8 weeks you will recieve a certificate and card.

Unless the state of California has become much more efficient in the last ten years (hahahahahahahahaha), you can see that it is a long process.

So I'm pushing you out of the nest. Get the paper work filled out and get the process moving. You'll have enough time to study later.
                      the dog

Comment

Re: C36 Educational Resources

Update folks,
                        I passed both first time Oct 31, 2007. I had about 2 hours to spare. However the study material was not verbatim, I used all my study materials and the crash course to get me in the ballpark. Thanks for your help guys.

Jason

Comment

Thanks for the update Jason. So were Dog and Rick right about the plumbing part of the exam?

Congratulations!!!

Comment

Great job and thanks for the update.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                            X