Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID 1210 1" Die problem.

Hello,

I purchased a RIDGID 1210 Oil-less threading machine about two years ago. It is wonderfully compact and lightweight. The threads are perfect and clean. And since it uses titanium coated dies and evaporating cutting fluid, instead of oil, it is much cleaner to use. Not to mention the absence of that cutting oil odor one acquires using the traditional cutting oil.

Now I present my problem -- I'm on my 4th set of 1" dies for this machine. On every set I've had, the 3rd or 4th tooth (and very often both) on die number three chips or breaks. After speaking with the RIDGID Tech line after the first instance, the tech told me to grind down the remains of the chipped tooth and that should work fine until he sends me another set. So we followed his advice and the die did work just fine until the new set arrived. We changed to the new set and went on our merry threading way.

However, it wasn't much longer that the new set chipped in exactly the same place. This time the tech said we must have been using foreign steel and RIDGID does not guarantee their product under those circumstances. FINE. We ground the tooth down and continued to use that set. I spoke with my wholesalers and insisted that they ship only domestic steel for my orders. I have tried several suppliers, the steel is all domestic, and yet it continually breaks my dies.

I know the quality of US steel is not the same as it used to be. Now the exterior of the black iron pipe is rough, grainy, shows the seams, has a clear coat sealant, etc. I've even found some lengths of 1" that had a larger outside diameter than normal. Imagine how THAT screws up a set of threads! Last week I found an old piece of 1" black pipe in our shop. The exterior was sleek and smooth with no imperfections. Just for kicks, I loaded it in the 1210 and cut some threads. THEY WERE PERFECT! The steel just pigtailed in complete pieces, instead of the little chips and tails. Obviously better quality steel in the old days.

Now we limp along with our damaged dies and continue to grind the teeth on number three until they just can't cut anymore. They reach the point where the steel chips embed themselves into the empty teeth and just destroy the threads. We try to avoid this by opening the diehead about half way through and cleaning out the debris. Then starting over again. This works for a while. Sometimes we have to stop it twice. Then nothing works and we have to change dies. And, I could probably handle getting 6 months use out of a set of dies, even at $150 each. But what really p*sses me off??? I just put in a new set yesterday and the 3rd tooth on die number three chipped on only the SIXTH set of threads. Now I've got to limp along for what seems like an eternity until I can justify spending (or throwing away) the money for another set. And this happens with EACH AND EVERY SET OF DIES.

Incidentally, we have never had a problem with the 1/2" die set. Only the 1" dies. I'm about ready to go back to lugging that darn 300 around again. At least it was dependable. HEAVY...but dependable.

I'm sure I'm not alone with this problem. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, how did you solve the problem? Why can't RIDGID address this problem and remedy a solution?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

i don't use my 1210 as much as you. i will go check the dies on my threader. i have 2 die heads( 1/2''- 3/4'' and 1") and i will look at them this week.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
    X