X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new jaws for my pipe wrench

I recently bought a new Ridgid pipe wrench. Last week I tried using it to hold a hardened shaft comming out of a bush hog gearbox while loosening the nut holding the "stump jumper". The shaft slipped in the jaws and broke several teeth in both the upper and lower jaws of my new wrench. How/where do I get a new set of replacement jaws? Thanks!

Originally posted by S.Vincent
    I recently bought a new Ridgid pipe wrench. Last week I tried using it to hold a hardened shaft comming out of a bush hog gearbox while loosening the nut holding the "stump jumper". The shaft slipped in the jaws and broke several teeth in both the upper and lower jaws of my new wrench. How/where do I get a new set of replacement jaws? Thanks!

If it is new I would return it to where I purchased it from for a replacement. If they are unable (unwilling) to repair or replace it I would contact Ridgid. The jaws should not break on a new wrench.
    the dog

Comment

I've never managed to break teeth off. I've been pretty abusive to some of my wrenches. Managed to break a handle once. The worst I've done to the teeth is bend a couple.

I'd take the wrench back. It sounds deffective to me.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Vincent
        the key here is the hardened shaft. same thing happens when you try to cut hardened material with a bolt cutter. i don't think that ridgid will stand behind it. depending on the size of the wrench, it might not pay to buy new jaws. i would check on ebay, since they usually go pretty cheap there. i would think that 14'' and under would not pay. 18'' and over buy the jaws.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
          the key here is the hardened shaft. same thing happens when you try to cut hardened material with a bolt cutter. i don't think that ridgid will stand behind it. depending on the size of the wrench, it might not pay to buy new jaws. i would check on ebay, since they usually go pretty cheap there. i would think that 14'' and under would not pay. 18'' and over buy the jaws.

rick.
          Why is there a warning against using them on hardened shafts? I've never seen one on the wrenches I have bought.
          the dog

Comment

dog, it's a pipe wrench. designed to work with pipe. trying to use a hardened jaw to grip a hardened shaft is not what it was designed for. in 30 years, i've only managed to break 1 jaw on a 10'' ridgid wrench with the help of a cheater . i broke many channelocks though.

i don't think ridgid should stand behind this claim. that's my own opinion.

so what kind of wrench or tool does 1 use to work on hardened tool steel

not sure.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

What is the Ridgid standard on this?
              the dog

Comment

Working...
              X