Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back flow into basement, how do I prevent?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back flow into basement, how do I prevent?

I have a house near a creek which the water gets higher sometimes than the outlet for the basement floor drains. That pipe is made with 4"pvc what do I use to stop the water from coming into the basement from the creek?

Thanks
    Tom

You may not be happy with the results if you do plug the drain. The drain is allowing ground water back into the basement, minimizing the build-up of hydrostatic pressure. Plugging the drain might result in the floor buckling. Sometimes you will see a swimming pool that was empty in an area with a high water table. That empty pool will float like a boat, and pop right out of the ground. They install special valves to protect from that. Same thing can happen with a high water table surrounding a basement.

Sump pumps actually lower the water table in the immediate vicinity of the basement to keep this from happening. Apparently you have a drain that terminates somewhere within the higher water table area, which just might include the area where your house is.

Comment

Originally posted by bigangelman
      I have a house near a creek which the water gets higher sometimes than the outlet for the basement floor drains. That pipe is made with 4"pvc what do I use to stop the water from coming into the basement from the creek?

Thanks
      Tom
      key word being "outlet".
      i would install a 4'' backwater valve somewhere prior to the outlet. this is an approved check valve for waste.it allows water to flow through it in 1 direction and shuts off the other direction. it has to be accessible for cleaning and repairs. they do come in pvc.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
      X