Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being an engineer I too falll into the desk jockey genre`. However my parents had the forthought to "stongly suggest" that I take trade classes in High School. The lessons learned were immensely valuable. First, I may not run my own plumbing or electrical, build my own house, or rebuild my own car engine, but when talking with those who practice the trades, I know enough of the terminology and concept to understand the work being done. You wonder why we see so many stories in the news about people getting scammed and taken by "questionable" contractors, I'm betting that lack of understanding of the basic concept was at least a contributing cause. I feel that every H.S. student should be forced to take a class on basic auto repair, home concepts and Lord forbid, home economics to graduate. Just my personal opinion. Now about immagrants in plumbing, I knew that they were crossing the border in tunnels, but plumbing? Can you use a plunger to get them out, or do you have to resort to a snake?
    Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
      Most everyone seems to agree that the problem has its roots in the values that parents instill in their children now (and for the past ~20 years) and our school systems. Both of these generally speaking promote computers and college over wrenches turning, hard work, and thinking on your feet to solve practical problems.

We can help by speaking up at PTA meetings and other situations where people may speak negatively of the building trades or not be promoting them with the attention they deserve. They (school administrators, parents, and children) need to hear first hand from those doing the work now how satisfying they (we) find it, and that we consider it a respectable and rewarding (monetarily) career. Those parents who have no connection to the trades (such as a parent or relative who was a tradesman) will never know all the aspects of having a trade that we all find important and rewarding to us and will always have a negative opinion of our various crafts which they will (intentional or not) pass on to their children.
      Bob D., you have come pretty close to "nailing" the problem. How many of you who have responded to this post have attended a school board meeting, a PTA meeting, or have volunteered to speak at a Career Day at your local school? It is easy to criticize the schools, but if you are not speaking up, don't blame the schools for listening to those who are. Companies are crying for computer literate people--are you "crying" to the schools for "construction capable" people? Just my two cents worth. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid
        Bob D., you have come pretty close to "nailing" the problem. How many of you who have responded to this post have attended a school board meeting, a PTA meeting, or have volunteered to speak at a Career Day at your local school? It is easy to criticize the schools, but if you are not speaking up, don't blame the schools for listening to those who are. Companies are crying for computer literate people--are you "crying" to the schools for "construction capable" people? Just my two cents worth. Jim
        I'd agree with you on one part yes we should quite crying about it and go to a school career day but for some of us do we want to take that time off to go talk at a school.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

"...but for some of us do we want to take that time off to go talk at a school."

If you are worried about the future of your trade then you should try to make the time.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

America IS a country of immigrants. People seem to forget that the USA was founded by immigrants. Further more, an immigrant isn't necessarily an illegal alien. My parents immigrated to this great country to start a better life. You don't know how many times I've been asked, "What country are you from?" That's just plain ignorant. Being American isn't about the color of your skin. Not all people from Africa have black skin either, believe it or not.
            So, I have noticed the trend over the decades there are less caucasians in the skilled trades. I would say a lot has to do with the high tech industries. Schools have less emphasis on skilled trades and focus more on computer skills. Plumbing can be hard physical work and less people are willing to do that. I for one am glad I have skills in both. When that dot.com craze came crashing down, I resorted back my plumbing skills to feed the family. Quite frankly, I enjoy plumbing a great deal more. I take great pride in my work. It's funny. I run into people I used to work with in high tech. When I tell them I'm self employed as a plumber, they have this funny look like, "you poor guy".

Comment

"the USA was founded by immigrants."

They were colonists (a person who settles in a new colony or moves into new country), not immigrants (a person who comes to a country where they were not born in order to settle there). There was no country called the United States of America in the 17th century, the land that was settled initially was part of either the English, French, or Spanish empires or was still unclaimed; at least in the eyes of European countries; the native American Indians pretty much thought it was ALL their land (except for the pieces they were tricked into selling for cheap) since they had been living here for a few thousand years.

The people who came and settled here were for the most part citizens of the country that had control or possession of the colony were they were settling, so they were not from another country, they were moving from A to B within the boundaries of their own country.

Might be a fine line but to me there is a difference between a colonist and an immigrant.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 08-20-2006, 09:07 AM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

"the native American Indians pretty much thought it was ALL their land (except for the pieces they were tricked into selling for cheap) since they had been living here for a few thousand years."

Exterminated was more like it.

Comment

Bob D.,

Native Americans were here for more that a few thousand years before Europeans.
                  the dog

Comment

Yeah I know Dog, but you get my point right?
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Working...
                    X