X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Cutting

here on the rock vegitation can be a real headache. especially in sewer lines. lately i have been getting more calls about down spout and cistern feeder lines that are blocked. so far the major culprit is ROOTS. Roots of all kinds, sizes, textures, and mostly unknown species. Now Rubber Trees, Ficus, Banyon, Sea Grape are a few of the more insidious varieties.

What i am looking for is recommendations of cutters to remove these nasty ^%$@!s.

I have a K50 and a K75 that I would like to use if possible. the little machine is good on roofs with steep pitches. The Bigger machine seems to work well on spouts where i can attack from the ground or on a larger "flat" platform.

Also, is there a product that can be used liek a Rid-X for cistern situations?

I never expected roots to be as big a problem as it is here.

Thanks for ant help in advance

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

i personally dont know the model numbers of anything but when i was working for roto rooter we had a 3/8s cable that we could put a double razor blade that was U shaped onto the machine that worked extremely well.

Comment

the k-50 is way to light weight to clean and cut roots. you will get stuck and break your 5/8'' sectional cable.

the k-75 is very similar to the k-60. both use the same 7/8'' sectional cable. i personally love my k-60 and do cut some roots with it. for real tuff jobs i use my k7500 or trailer jetter with a very expensive rotary nozzle.

be careful with any root cutting. it takes a real good feel to know when the cale is torqued to the point of breaking.

a good product is root-x. this is a foaming root killer.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

thanks for the replies.

Rick, let me preface this with that most of the roots i have encountered so far are either thin "hair" like masses (think a cat's hairball) or elongated roots between 1/16" to 1/4" max.

while the K50 is indeed a small machine, with the 5/8 cable and one of the spiral cutters (mod# t207, t208, t209) i was thinking it may "mulch" these masses and with water pressure flush them down the line.

for the 7/8 cable i was wondering the differences between the sawtooth cutter (t103) and the "H" cutter (t104). there is very little i can find regarding the different cutters and their uses, etc.

I explain to the client that root removal is slow and tedious work (= expensive) and these roots just didn't grow overnight. the alternative is chipping out a wall or a tile floor and the concrete under it or digging up a driveway.

thanks for the Root-X heads up. i am looking into non-toxic root killers, if they do exist.

while a jetter would be nice, it would not be very feasable (sic?) here.

thanks again

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

good luck with the k-50 and roots. roots are stronger than hair. also in 4'' pipe the cable will have way too much flex and will knot or kink if it hits a tuff stoppage. save the k-50 for 1.5 and 2'' pipes.

the cutter of choice for roots with the k-60/75 is the t-109,110,111. and t-150. for small pipe, 1.5'' and 2'', i've used the -101 with good luck. the open wind of the cable also helps to grab roots keep in mind that until there is a root mass, it's tuff to cut tiny roots that are flexible. with the aide of a camera you can pinpoint the exact footage to concentrate your cleaning. the root-x is a good way to kill off everything that you can't clean. remember that roots are alive. they do grow back. cutting roots are a quick fix. killing roots are a long term fix.

stick with the k75 on roots and the k-50 for small stoppages
          otherwise the next post will read " how to retrieve a broken cable"

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
            excellent points well taken.

one more quick point, please. what is the "H" cutter (t104) used for?

steve

oh, BTW... i learned a looooong time ago how to retrieve a broken cable

thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X