X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Smells

I am adding a bathroom in a basement (on a pit system) The house is about 40 to 50 years old and the plumbing system is on a septic system. Whenever it rains hard they get sewer smell in the basement only. I have not cut into any drains or vents yet. I can't find any old drains or vents that have been cut. This problem has been going on for a couple of years and the homeowner has had multiple plumbing and septic companies out and they have not fixed or found the problem. The homeowner has had the septic tank cleaned about 5 months ago. Does anyone have any ideas where the smell is coming from and why it only happens when it rains?
    If it weren't for your plumber, you wouldn't have any place to go!

long shot but is the holding tank leaking, leaching sewage into the ground around it? When it rains hard there may be enough ground water to carry some of the sewage into the weeping tile and thereby into the sump pit

Comment

Originally posted by Mastadon
      I am adding a bathroom in a basement (on a pit system) The house is about 40 to 50 years old and the plumbing system is on a septic system. Whenever it rains hard they get sewer smell in the basement only. I have not cut into any drains or vents yet. I can't find any old drains or vents that have been cut. This problem has been going on for a couple of years and the homeowner has had multiple plumbing and septic companies out and they have not fixed or found the problem. The homeowner has had the septic tank cleaned about 5 months ago. Does anyone have any ideas where the smell is coming from and why it only happens when it rains?
      What is a "pit system"?
      the dog

Comment

I would check the check valve on the sump pump. During heavy rains the tank could be back filling from the leech fields and causing waste water to flow into the sump pit.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

What is a "pit system"?

A "pit system" is a plumbing system (usually in a basement) that dumps into a sewagw pit and then is pumped into the hidger sewage system for the house.
          It is used when the building drain can not be installed low enough to accomodate the drain system in the basement.

Comment

I would check the check valve on the sump pump. During heavy rains the tank could be

I thought of that too but, there is no sump pump in the house. I checked the floor drain and it has water in the trap.

Comment

Working...
            X