Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irrigation line for water supply main???

I had a customer call me last week with a water leak. I don't normally get involved with plumbing, but I did it as a favore to my customer. Anyway, when I got to the customers house I saw that the area around the main water supply shut-off valve was flooded. After some digging I found a leak at the 90deg elbow just below the shut-off valve. To my surprise the 1 inch supply line from the meter to this valve was some sort of black plastic - perhaps HDPE or irrigation line of some sort. It was connected to the 1 inch copper at the valve via a barbbed copper fitting. The house was built in the 70's. I have never seen anything but copper supply lines used around here for potable water. Has anyone seen such a thing?

Black plastic water line

Its common in Md. It must of been o.k. when it was installed, good for cold water only, can't use inside the house; cheaper than copper. Now the the price of copper is going through the roof more and more people are using the plastic type tubing. Barbed fittings should have two hose clamps on them, one counter-opposed to the other. Lots of luck

"If you don't have the time to do it right, where will you find the time to do it over?"

Comment

Originally posted by Newman
      I had a customer call me last week with a water leak. I don't normally get involved with plumbing, but I did it as a favore to my customer. Anyway, when I got to the customers house I saw that the area around the main water supply shut-off valve was flooded. After some digging I found a leak at the 90deg elbow just below the shut-off valve. To my surprise the 1 inch supply line from the meter to this valve was some sort of black plastic - perhaps HDPE or irrigation line of some sort. It was connected to the 1 inch copper at the valve via a barbbed copper fitting. The house was built in the 70's. I have never seen anything but copper supply lines used around here for potable water. Has anyone seen such a thing?
      so what was the leak? the plastic barb, copper 90, plastic tubing?

30 years old is not bad for being in the ground.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yes it did have 2 hose clamps on it - that's way I figured it was jurry-rigged when I saw it. The leak was actually at the pipe, at the barbbed fitting. The pipe wasn't installed perfectly inline with the fitting and was stressed at the hose clamp. Then again, I'm surprided it lasted this long! I ended up cutting out a couple feet of pipe and replacing it with 1" copper thus moving the barbbed fitting away from the shut-off valve. I replaced the old gate type shut-off valve with a new ball valve while I was at it. What a pain in the *** that was. To make matters worse I had a hell of time getting all the water out of the line, so it was a pain to sweat the fittings. This last time I replaced a shut-off valve, I had to break the connection at the main because the water wouldn't shut off completely.

Comment

I once had a leaky meter valve that broke when I tried to shut it off. The city came out to replace the meter but was unable to shut the water off to the neighborhood. They ended up opening up all the fire hydrants in the neighborhood to drop the pressure so they could replace the meter loop.

Sometimes **** happens.

Comment

In my area copper lines have not been used for underground mains for years. Some of the older homes still have such things. I don't generaly deal with municipal water supplies. I deal with wells and water pumps. In the well and going to the house(underground) is almost always done with black poly pipe.

Comment

Can you say cross contamination control?

Wow, I wonder if they notified anyone that they were going to do this and reduce the pressure in the main to almost zero? I'll bet not because there was no time. Nothing better than a backpressure or backsiphon condition created by your local water utility.

Hopefully every backflow device was working and no contaminates get into the water supply, and the Water Dept. systematically flushed the mains out following this event.

Originally posted by BigThom
              I once had a leaky meter valve that broke when I tried to shut it off. The city came out to replace the meter but was unable to shut the water off to the neighborhood. They ended up opening up all the fire hydrants in the neighborhood to drop the pressure so they could replace the meter loop.

Sometimes **** happens.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

here in los angeles, the dept. of water and power regularly replaces the service valve when they don't shut or are damaged.

these are done live on 3/4'' and 1''. they fill up the meter box with water to eliminate the spraying affect and then remove the old valve and install a new ballvalve with the valve open. these new style valves don't require a meter wrench. (yet)

on the larger meters, 1.5'' and above, they end up shutting off the block.

rick.

in the other local cities, santa monica, beverly hills. we are not allowed to shut off the meter/corporation cock. if we do and break it, we pay for it. actually these smaller cities do come out pretty quick to shut off and turn back on. city of la could take hours
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X