Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Ridgid Auto-Spin?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ridgid Auto-Spin?

    Anyone tried the new Auto-Spin drain cleaner. Looks like a toy, but who knows. Would like some feedback if you've tried it. Thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by JLNYC
    Anyone tried the new Auto-Spin drain cleaner. Looks like a toy, but who knows. Would like some feedback if you've tried it. Thanks.
    if the k-40 was a let down for you, the auto spin would be a bigger disapointment. at less than half the price of the k40, what do you think will happen?

    look at the k-50 or get you k-40 repaired. the auto spin is a do it yourself homeowner toy.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Rick,

      You are probably 100% correct, but one never knows. That K-50 is just going to be too heavy....

      Comment


      • #4
        PS- Ridgid has a good reputation and I don't understand why they would risk spoiling it by selling a product that looks and acts like a toy. It would be like Honda coming out with a cheap car that breaks down after 6 months. Why risk your reputation you've worked so hard to build?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JLNYC
          PS- Ridgid has a good reputation and I don't understand why they would risk spoiling it by selling a product that looks and acts like a toy. It would be like Honda coming out with a cheap car that breaks down after 6 months. Why risk your reputation you've worked so hard to build?
          you need to start reading some of these forums.

          not all of the products ridgid makes is geared for a pro. there are lots of homeowner based low end tools.

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            a k-39pf would be more of a household use..

            Comment


            • #7
              I bought when when I had a bathtub drain plug up with hair. I went to the store, got it, went home and cleared the drain within 30 minutes. It worked pretty well the few times I have needed it. I did call in a pro for a root infested floor drain.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Ridgid Auto-Spin?

                Originally posted by JLNYC View Post
                Anyone tried the new Auto-Spin drain cleaner. Looks like a toy, but who knows. Would like some feedback if you've tried it. Thanks.
                Great unit, well engineered and very clever design. Don't try to make a living with it, but for the once or twice a year clogged drain, beats calling Roto-Rooter or using caustic-crap.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Ridgid Auto-Spin?

                  Guess you had a bad experience with Roto Rooter huh
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

                  www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Ridgid Auto-Spin?

                    Originally posted by JLNYC View Post
                    Anyone tried the new Auto-Spin drain cleaner. Looks like a toy, but who knows. Would like some feedback if you've tried it. Thanks.
                    Depends what your looking for.

                    Extremely light duty YES able to lead through NYC lead piping without the dangers of poking a hole though the lead pipe YES

                    Giving it to an employee to use HELL NO

                    Getting your moneys worth first time time is used Yes

                    Think of it this way

                    Ever see or use Fix a flat in a can use once throw away?

                    How do you put a price of getting out of a bad area with a flat tire at 2 AM?

                    Think of the spin as a great tool for what it is intended to be used for.

                    Would I dare use it everyday nope.

                    Do I trust it not to break during usage no to that also

                    Because I know its positive points and its short comings I bought two of them as I figured one would be in the repair shop at any given time.

                    Your in NYC like I am, you know the prices we legitimate licensed plumbers charge... Suppose you used this machine twice and you paid $100 and it died DID YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY ON IT?

                    One of the developers I work for bought a warehouse in the meat market district for 3 million dollars. You know the cobble stone streets

                    Then converted it to Condos, one was sold to one of the Hollywood nut cases for 12 million and then another left coaster moved in and paid 14 million plus and then they both did a total rehab of the finished job throwing away Jacuzzis that the only time were ever wet was when we tested them.

                    This building sold all 8 floors and none less then 7 million

                    You know that folks like these will not tolerate a stoppage in a standing waste (barrel) lead wiped to a lead trap and tearing up a marble floor or inlaid wood ceiling is not an option.

                    What is it worth to you as a person in NYC real estate to keep the account a happy camper.

                    I test a lot of tools and get paid for testing them ( NOT RIDGID) If you want something that is heavy duty use the other snakes Ridgid has to offer.

                    The spin is not for everyone as one has to have a lot of skill and patience negotiating 180 degree traps then 90 degree short radius 11/2 galvanized drainage ells. Hell of a lot safer then sulfuric acid

                    DO NOT give it to a building superintendent to use of you will have a pile of plastic sitting on your desk

                    Tieger plumbing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Ridgid Auto-Spin?

                      Originally posted by MikeInMaintenance View Post
                      I bought when when I had a bathtub drain plug up with hair. I went to the store, got it, went home and cleared the drain within 30 minutes. It worked pretty well the few times I have needed it. I did call in a pro for a root infested floor drain.
                      Mike you used the tool exactly as it was designed to do.

                      Mine more then paid for itself the first time I used it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Ridgid Auto-Spin?

                        Originally posted by PlumbBob View Post
                        Great unit, well engineered and very clever design. Don't try to make a living with it, but for the once or twice a year clogged drain, beats calling Roto-Rooter or using caustic-crap.
                        I must admit you are the very first engineer I have to totally agree with and that is one hell of a compliment from me

                        AIA's NEVER

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Ridgid Auto-Spin?

                          Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                          Guess you had a bad experience with Roto Rooter huh
                          Not at all, they have to make a buck and using a plumber for a clogged drain is like using an MD for a flu shot. Thing is, you have to schedule and get an appointment, etc., take off work, etc. I have used my Auto-Spin twice since I bought it (old house) and it has now paid for itself.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Ridgid Auto-Spin?

                            Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                            I must admit you are the very first engineer I have to totally agree with and that is one hell of a compliment from me

                            AIA's NEVER
                            Thanks, I appreciate that. My dad was a Master Electrician and I worked a lot of jobs with him as a kid, so I certainly respect the tradesman.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Ridgid Auto-Spin?

                              Originally posted by PlumbBob View Post
                              Thanks, I appreciate that. My dad was a Master Electrician and I worked a lot of jobs with him as a kid, so I certainly respect the tradesman.
                              You reminded me of a job I did when a general contractor called me about a leak in the living room ceiling.

                              I told him how to test the drain and then the grouting we decided it was the 2 year old lead pan.

                              I had them remove the tiles so I could inspect the lead and fund it to be 2 PSF instead of the 4 PSF as required

                              I lead wiped a 2 x 2 x 4 PSF patch and installed a new CI drain.

                              The entire time explaining to the home owner what I was doing and why it had failed.

                              Later on his wife came in hysterical laughing saying her husband is a PHd in Chemical engineering.

                              I told her if I had know that I would have no talked so technical, we both had a good laugh and he did remind me of "KISS"

                              About hiring a licensed master plumber to do a fixture stoppage Yes it is over kill in many cases but then again who knows more about drainage systems then the folks who do the installation.

                              You in my opinion could not have picked an easier or better machine to remove hair from a fixture then the auto spin as many cases you can go from the drain and not bother with the trap

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X