X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterize Irrigation System

Hello - Thank you for reviewing my question on this post. I purchased a home this summer with an irrigation system. It is a rainbird system. My question is what things need to be done to winterize the system. I'm in the KC MO area and it will get below freezing.

Is there generally a hookup that I can hookup an aircompressor too? Right outside of my house there are PVC pipes coming out of the ground (1/2" PVC) coming up and there is an on/off value with what looks like a connector for something. Any general recommendations on how to winterize the system? What should I look for?

Any suggestions are better than what I have now! Thanks for your time.

Regards, Justin

You're gonna need a fairly good size compressor to blow out the system, otherwise you'll be there all day and still not be sure you got all the water out. Usually you can get one of the local lawn sprinkler companies to do this for less than $100 (in my area) and it should only take them 20 to 30 minutes to do a 4 zone system for example with their big compressor.

If you don't know what you are doing then I suggest you be careful you don't damage something that will end up costing you more than you saved doing it yourself like the backflow preventer which could easily be in the $200 range for the part alone.

Maybe after you have them come out once and see what is involved you will have a good idea of how to do it and if you want to invest in the equipment to do it yourself or have someone else do it.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Winterize Irrigation System

Bob - Appeciate the reply. That's probably the best way to kill this bird, but as a classic DIY guy, thought I would ask around. Can't be rocket science, although I don't have a big compressor (It's a pancake compressor). Don't want to buy a big compressor as that would defeat the goal.

Thanks! Justin

Comment

I built my manifold out of copper and soldiered in a 3/8" screw fitting and added a compressor quick connect. Then I could just plug in the compressor close the ball valve on the inside of the house and open the inside drain and clear the manifold then open each zone manually one at a time and blow them out. I have a good sized compressor 13 CFM @ 40 PSI and it did a good job, never had to replace any split lines. I really don't think a pancake would cut it.

Comment

Working...
        X