X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year did the red paint begin?

I'm restoring an old 14" Ridgid pipe wrench and was wondering what year the "red paint" started being used? I've put the wrench through electrolysis to remove rust and grime and am now ready to paint it to prevent any future rust and want to get it right as to paint color, if any. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a couple of Ridgid pipe wrenches that I bought back around 1975. To me, the color appears to be more of an orangeish red than pure red.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Red paint

Originally posted by rmaerz
      I'm restoring an old 14" Ridgid pipe wrench and was wondering what year the "red paint" started being used? I've put the wrench through electrolysis to remove rust and grime and am now ready to paint it to prevent any future rust and want to get it right as to paint color, if any. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
      I don't understand why you need to know this, I've been in the trade 43 plus years and they were red then. The exception was when I bought a case at a navy auction, they were battle-ship gray. I think that you have to ask Ridgid. Lots of luck

__________________________________________________ _______________
      "If you don't have the time to do it right, where will you find time to do it over?"

Comment

i guess its more of a 55 chevy red orange..

Comment

[quote=rmaerz]I'm restoring an old 14" Ridgid pipe wrench and was wondering what year the "red paint" started being used? I've put the wrench through electrolysis to remove rust and grime and am now ready to paint it to prevent any future rust and want to get it right as to paint color, if any. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks[/quote

like texas," judge larry joe" would say, " you're putting a $2000. saddle on a $500. horse.

don't know why you need to "restore" a $15. wrench. unless i'm missing something it's not a collectors item. if it is, i'd be a rich man

now i do have a 75th edition wrench set still in the box. this might be worth something someday to someone

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Wye cant people give a straight answer to the question ,if he wants the original color that's up to him . if you do not know don't answer the post.

it seams that if some one asks a question 4 out of 5 do not answer it with out a comment .

some fined this annoying so try to just answer the question to the best you can .

this is my 2 cents
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Well said HAWK

Comment

I have wonder the same thing, as I have a few old black handled wrenches, and then some have a straight tapered handle and some have the end of the handle bell out just a touch on the end of the handle, and I think the lettering is different in some slight way,

it would be interesting to find a chart showing the year and changes to help date the wrench,

a number of mine were my dads tools, it would be nice to have a approx year of when he bought them,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Inflation

Originally posted by PIPES
                  Well said HAWK
                  Except for the part where he was fined

Or was that find?

Free, useless advice is the price you pay for asking your questions on public forums. If everyone kept their thoughts on a subject in their heads then the number of posts would be few and far between.

Inflation has made your $0.02 way overvalued.

For whatever reason rmaerz may choose to return the wrench to as close to original appearance is inmaterial, but jeez, we can rib the guy a little or have some fun can't we hawk while we help him find (or is that fined, I'm so confused ) the answer to his Q?

If it hurts you to read such comments then just don't.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.

For whatever reason rmaerz may choose to return the wrench to as close to original appearance is inmaterial, but jeez, we can rib the guy a little or have some fun can't we hawk while we help him find

as for as rid the guy a little , that's fine if he is a regular he knows what to expect out of some of the people. but for new members it would be nice to keep them around a little and not to pi$$ them off and never come back

and for the hurts to read and just don't some times by the time you get to the part that you rib them you read 3/4 of the post .
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                      Except for the part where he was fined

Or was that find?

Free, useless advice is the price you pay for asking your questions on public forums. If everyone kept their thoughts on a subject in their heads then the number of posts would be few and far between.

Inflation has made your $0.02 way overvalued.

For whatever reason rmaerz may choose to return the wrench to as close to original appearance is inmaterial, but jeez, we can rib the guy a little or have some fun can't we hawk while we help him find (or is that fined, I'm so confused ) the answer to his Q?

once again bob, we're on the same page. it must be a plumber thing

if it wasn't for "lorax" being here there would be little humor. by the way, lorax has been absent. hawk, did you already scare him away

the original poster to this question has a grand total of 1 post. he has not even come back to respond to this post. you guys are making a big fuss over the smallest of issues. a hand full of regulars have flown the coop. plumber, papadan, lorax

by the way, i would be curious to see the finished product of a 14'' ridgid restoration. if it looks good i'll send him some of mine for restoration

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

"it must be a plumber thing" No. Plumber Rick, I am on the same page with you and BD, too. If we can't have a little humor on this forum, it would get awfully dull in a hurry. I was wondering about Lorax, too. Maybe he is on vacation. Lets hope he gets back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid
                          "it must be a plumber thing" No. Plumber Rick, I am on the same page with you and BD, too. If we can't have a little humor on this forum, it would get awfully dull in a hurry. I was wondering about Lorax, too. Maybe he is on vacation. Lets hope he gets back soon.
                          like i said "it must be a plumber thing" pipestone kid

rick.

we need an amber alert for lorax. this is right up his alley.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, Different kind of pipe!!

Comment

anti lorax must have gottem him lol
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X