Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sectional vs Drum

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    No flaming attempt here, but in which instance would the drum machine be better than a sectional?

We have a General drum machine we bought 2 years ago, that only got used twice....the thing is brand new, but personally I hate it, cause I'm not good and comfortable with it. I want to sell the darn thing, but my father is fighting me on it.

We have 2- K-50's, a K-75 or 75a sectional (I always forget which one), and this General drum machine. I really want to sell the General so I can get a K-60, as it would fit much nicer in my truck, but resistance from pop is stopping me. He wants to get rid of the K-75, but I like that machine and I'm fighting him on it.

Most of the sewers in my area are within 100' - 150', and I don't see an instance in which I would have to go out much further. Plus with clean-outs and building trap vents, I have excellent points of access at my disposal to drop a cable down, or use the trap plunger.

Should we hold onto this drum machine?
    Depends what you're use to...Tell you what though it is getting very old untangling open wind cables.With the 60 it gets very frustrating just getting the dam* things in and outta the cage ..It is a struggle I would not miss.Whenever I am done I link the cables back together as they are going back into the cage but they never want to come out that way..Sometimes I think I spend more time untangling cables than snaking .I really need a better method for the cables.. I go to start pulling cables outta the cage and all hell breaks loose.Either they come springing out or I pay hell getting them out..Awhile back there was someone who used a hand truck for the machine and the loose cables we looped in a nice arch and tucked on both ends..I am thinking the cage is not happening ..I have to make something ..That is one thing a drum will not haunt you with .. Other than that the k60 has never been on a job and failed me .Not 1 call back . There were initial bearing problems but that seems to have settled down. The 60 is one versatile machine.I would buy one and just keep it hidden on your truck
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Drum machines work very well. Thats all we use and have never had to go find a sectional machine to do a job. NEVER. I hate to handle cable and thats what a sectional machine is all about. To each his own!!!!!!

Comment

old1, the only time i have issues with my 90' of cable is when i don't couple them. or when i try to pull from the middle and not the end.

not sure why it's giving you a frustrating time

post a video, maybe we can spot the problem.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Agree with rick on this one. Never hard a hard time undoing the cables from the cage. I think a video would work well.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            old1, the only time i have issues with my 90' of cable is when i don't couple them. or when i try to pull from the middle and not the end.

not sure why it's giving you a frustrating time

post a video, maybe we can spot the problem.

rick.
            I am thinking it is a combination of things.First the open wind design of the cables constantly interlocking on each other.second is the fact that sometimes yes the cables to get pulled out wrong..And third sometimes I just tend to struggle..If I was to post a video I could probably sell it to americas funniest home videos
            Tell you what though , every time I break out the 60 with the 7/8" cables the customer always says " The other guy was using a much smaller cable , yeah it was this big drum thing " ..Then I open up my box with all my cutters and say" Look at these bad boys" ..I'd hate to be a rat in that pipe with one of these coming at me

Comment

Old1...I don't have as much time on the K-60 as some of the others...but at first I had the same problem as you...what I do now is when putting the cable in the cage, I take a little more time, and wind it in from the bottom to the top and back to the bottom...then pulling out same thing take my time...seems to make a huge difference...
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                Old1...I don't have as much time on the K-60 as some of the others...but at first I had the same problem as you...what I do now is when putting the cable in the cage, I take a little more time, and wind it in from the bottom to the top and back to the bottom...then pulling out same thing take my time...seems to make a huge difference...

I am sure it's something stupid like that.Seems I am a bit impatient especially when it's pack up time

Comment

Rick - I tried to send you a private message, but your box is full.

Comment

Rick - I tried to send you a private message, but your box is full.
                    He does that on purpose.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      He does that on purpose.

Mark
                      Wth...I need a question answered.

I'll PM you instead...lol

Comment

Wth...I need a question answered.

I'll PM you instead...lol
                        rule of thumb, is to start off at 50% of current new price and then adjust accordingly + or - based on condition. also remember a k-60 will be a bidding war and a k-75 will be a mercy buy

on that note, i keep 99% of everything. rarely sell the good, bad or ugly.

mark has my number if you need it flux

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          rule of thumb, is to start off at 50% of current new price and then adjust accordingly + or - based on condition. also remember a k-60 will be a bidding war and a k-75 will be a mercy buy

on that note, i keep 99% of everything. rarely sell the good, bad or ugly.

mark has my number if you need it flux

rick.
                          Pop actually had a smile on his face this morning, when i said I wanted to sell it. Just sits there and collects dusts...right next to our General drum machine. But I was thinking in the same range as you posted..so I know I'm in the ball park.

Comment

Working...
                          X