X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sectional vs Drum

Apparently, there have been debates on this issue already. I use nothing but drum machines. (Why? Because the companies I worked for used them). But, when I read that a plumber is giving up his K7500 for sectional machines, I wonder why?
    What are advantages?
    What am I missing?
    Where on this forum is a good thread to read on this issue?

Thanks,
    Mark

Originally posted by Mark7
    Apparently, there have been debates on this issue already. I use nothing but drum machines. (Why? Because the companies I worked for used them). But, when I read that a plumber is giving up his K7500 for sectional machines, I wonder why?
    What are advantages?
    What am I missing?
    Where on this forum is a good thread to read on this issue?

Thanks,
    Mark
    First let me compliment you on your name. I figure you must be a pretty smart guy and I haven’t even met you yet.

A sectional rodder takes a little more effort but is a much more efficient machine than a drum machine. If all you want to do is get in and out of a job and you don’t care what type of job you do stick with a drum machine. However, if you have a difficult drain or you just want to do a nicer job use a sectional machine.

With a sectional machine you are only turning the cable you need not a drum full of cable you may not use. That gives you more power when you hit the stoppage because you are not turning a lot of dead weight. It also seems the sectional cables are more flexible yet remain stronger than a drum cable. I guess one of the parts I really like about sectional machine is you can feel the cable as you are feeding it in.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

mark7,

i'm not selling off my k7500 yet what i was referring to was mark's/ utah comment about getting me to use the sectionals.

mark is correct. a sectional machine does take longer to use, but it also has a better safety factor. as mark mentioned, the machine only spins the section of cables that your working with. these spin at approx. 500-700 rpm. a drum machine is approx. 200 rpm. there also seems to be a better assortment of cutters for the sectional cables. there is no flywheel affect. the cables stop spinning the second that you let off the clutch assy. very quick to respond to your commands. the cables are also more flexible which allow for getting around turns and tight fittings. i even ran a k-60 7/8'' cable into an old 1.5'' durham line to clear a 4'' main with no larger cleanouts.

the real plus is the ability to go up stairs/ roofs and under homes with a good strong machine. (k-60).

i don't have a k-1500, but i do have a general #88. it runs the 1.25'' cables that are 10' long and have a 1/2'' inner cable. the machine is pushed into the cleanout and then run like a gardners edger. it's on wheels.

the k-50 is a good inside machine that runs 5/8'' x 7.5' cables and also drums of 5/16'' or 3/8''. when you put on the drum, there is the run on affect/ flywheel weight. i've been able to clean lines with the 5/8'' cable, that a hand held 3/8'' couldn't touch.

it appears that drum machines are a west coast thing and sectionals are everywhere else.

give one a try and you'll be surprised.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Sectional vs Drum

5 year old thread and it's only gotten better

boy have things changed in 5 years

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Wow.
          This thread is a few days old.

You and Mark were spot on.
          I have come to prefer/own sectional machines- K50, K1500, K60
          Today, they are deliverying the KJ3000.

This forum is a wealth of information.
          I say thank you.

Comment

mark7, it's funny how i stumbled on this old thread.

you thanked me this morning and i couldn't remember who you were

so i looked up your profile and saw you're an old school member from 2000

i read a few of your post and this was one.

talk about drum vrs sectional before all the debates started.

see what you started

glad you're loving the new school machines.

make sure to get a root ranger for your jetter.

don't be a stranger. 38 post in 11 years is a little slow

welcome back.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Well good choices on the machines.I am planning on a jetter next..That's when the 500 questions will start flying ..I already know to buy a root ranger ..I am also hearing good things about the warthog..

I just purchased some replacement cables for my 5/16" drum attachment, c1, and c2..One has the bulb auger , one the drop head..Now I did buy the innercore cable which hopefully will last a bit longer than the rest..Can't even remember which ones I use to buy..I used the 5/16" in the drum on the 60 yesterday to clear a tub drain..Homeowner could not relieve the stoppage with his "Zip it" ..Even with the innercore that machine is way powerful for those small cables..I ripped my drop head off the last one I had..After the job I did pull the cable out and spray everything down. Even opened up the drum and sprayed and cleaned that out ..When will Ridgid come out with a drum specifically for the 60...Ridgid are you listening we want real drums for our 60's !
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

i've posted links to the ridgid european website and the k-60 is shown with the drum adapters.

bill has been using his for a few years now.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i've posted links to the ridgid european website and the k-60 is shown with the drum adapters.

bill has been using his for a few years now.

rick.
                  WHAT !!!!!! This I gotta see

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    First let me compliment you on your name. I figure you must be a pretty smart guy and I haven’t even met you yet.

A sectional rodder takes a little more effort but is a much more efficient machine than a drum machine. If all you want to do is get in and out of a job and you don’t care what type of job you do stick with a drum machine. However, if you have a difficult drain or you just want to do a nicer job use a sectional machine.

With a sectional machine you are only turning the cable you need not a drum full of cable you may not use. That gives you more power when you hit the stoppage because you are not turning a lot of dead weight. It also seems the sectional cables are more flexible yet remain stronger than a drum cable. I guess one of the parts I really like about sectional machine is you can feel the cable as you are feeding it in.

Mark
                    I got some thoughts on this Being that i use both type of machine.
                    Sectional machine give more control and in fact you are able to put more force at times on the blockage but not pushing force if you know what i mean.
                    A cable machine with a power feed has more force when its out around 100 feet to push thru a clog where a sectional will flex to much to give the same result.
                    But my advice is a little bit of both machine for speed is a key in drain cleaning and at the same time doing the job well to get repeat customers.
                    Sectional machine like the k-50 or k-60 are best overall machines to have due to the versatilitly of the equipment. You can do tub drains to main lines and you have better control with the clutch system they use and if you break or bend a cable usually one sectional is cheaper to replace then a solid core cable for a drum machine. Drum machine like the spartan 1065 as a example are hard to beat when you got three or four inch cleanout. Speed and power and contants blade turning. But beware they are not machine some one should use with out some guidance or training.
                    True, sectional give more control by feel and a guy who has done drain cleaning for a while usually rely on feeling the cable to judge what is happening. I would dare say that most of us have at one time or another had a drain we could not clear and some one else clear it, this is some thing you do not want to happen so you retain the customer. LOL
                    So variety is some times good when it comes to drain cleaning.

Comment

Drum for the K-60 would be great.
                      Have to look up that ridgid european website and see that.

Comment

Yep..It would have to be a bit more heavy duty than the drums for the k50..And a bonus would be the ability to hold 5/8" cables ..25' would not be unreasonable .in my opinion...Let's go Ridgid

Comment

No flaming attempt here, but in which instance would the drum machine be better than a sectional?

We have a General drum machine we bought 2 years ago, that only got used twice....the thing is brand new, but personally I hate it, cause I'm not good and comfortable with it. I want to sell the darn thing, but my father is fighting me on it.

We have 2- K-50's, a K-75 or 75a sectional (I always forget which one), and this General drum machine. I really want to sell the General so I can get a K-60, as it would fit much nicer in my truck, but resistance from pop is stopping me. He wants to get rid of the K-75, but I like that machine and I'm fighting him on it.

Most of the sewers in my area are within 100' - 150', and I don't see an instance in which I would have to go out much further. Plus with clean-outs and building trap vents, I have excellent points of access at my disposal to drop a cable down, or use the trap plunger.

Should we hold onto this drum machine?

Comment

Originally posted by FRP View Post
                            Drum for the K-60 would be great.
                            Have to look up that ridgid european website and see that.

Can't find em' ..

Comment

flux, how about swapping the k-75 for the k-60 and saving lots of room.

i would keep the drum for the time being. even tho it doesn't stay in the truck.

i have all my drums and the 1 instance i find for it, is when i have multiple easy access cleanouts that i need to snake. meaning when i have a complex with 8-22, 4''-6'' cleanouts surrounding the courtyard, and i can run out 100' and roll to the next one, then the drum would be faster and less hands on.

but now i use my big jetter and it's even faster and more through.

so now the question is do you get the k-60 and dump the 75. or dump the drum and get the jetter

i'm sure if it wasn't for the forum, there would be guys out there still running a 20 year old, old school machine.

who ever said the forum is free

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X