Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Laundry detergent foam in Basement Toilet?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundry detergent foam in Basement Toilet?

I am finishing a bathroom in a basement. I set the toilet and got it running properly. I looked inside the next mourning to find foam which is obviously coming from the washer upstairs. Why would this be and can i fix it? Thanks for the help guys!
    RYan Varga

ryan, assuming that the plumbing was installed to your local code requirements, i would say to try a "he" soap. this is a high effiency soap designed for the newer style of energy efficient washing machines. it will also work with older machines.

chances are that your laundry is piped too close to your basement toilet. too much soap suds are filling the piping and coming up into the closes fixture/ toilet. this is a very common issue with condos and apartments. not so common in a single family home.

does your basement plumbing require a backwater valve? is it below the level of the downstream manhole? if so a backwater valve should prevent any soap from coming into the basement. it will also prevent a possible sewage backup from filling your basement. something to think about

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

rick or others

do you have a code that regulates how close to other fixtures your laundry can be tied in. Our is this advise just given by your personal experience with this problem. i ask because i don't know of a code in my area that regulates this.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER JAY
        rick or others

do you have a code that regulates how close to other fixtures your laundry can be tied in. Our is this advise just given by your personal experience with this problem. i ask because i don't know of a code in my area that regulates this.
        Plumber Jay,

Here in California, home to myself ( which I stay because it is the only state where I'm welcome), Plumber Rick (although we are tring to deport him), and Utah (when he is not jetting off to his next adventure), we use the Uniform Plumbing Code.

Section 711.0 requires "suds relief" rules, but exempts single family residences and drain stacks less than three stories.

What does your local code say?
        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
          Plumber Jay,

Here in California, home to myself ( which I stay because it is the only state where I'm welcome), Plumber Rick (although we are tring to deport him), and Utah (when he is not jetting off to his next adventure), we use the Uniform Plumbing Code.

Section 711.0 requires "suds relief" rules, but exempts single family residences and drain stacks less than three stories.

What does your local code say?
          no problem dog, i'm off to costa rica (costa ricky) in a few weeks.

careful dog, they usually neuter stray dogs here in calif

last soap suds issue i had was in a condo building in brentwood. it only turned up on thursdays and only for the last 6 months according to the owner on the first floor.

very simple. i made arrangements to go to the building on thursday and check the few neighbors laundry usage. turned out that my theory was correct. the new tennant had their house keeper doing 6 loads of laundry every thursday for the last 6 months.

i had a nice little talk with "alice". turned out the tennant was "greg brady"

well that worked for approx. 3 months. soap came back. i think alice was replaced

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm with Rick. It sounds like an excessive use of soap in the wash.

The basement plumbing is probably tied directly into the stack that is serving the laundry drain from above. Upon hitting the bottom (a sweep, for instance) a certain amount of suds will be produced. If the plumbing is roughed in correctly, I find it hard to believe that normal laundry use would produce so many suds that they would back-up into the trap of a toilet.

Plumber Jay,

To be more specific, the UPC requires that fixtures be roughed-in a minimum of 8' from a vertical to horizonal change in direction of a stack serving as a drain to suds producing fixtures. Again, exceptions are made for single family residences and stacks less than three stories.
            the dog

Comment

dog
              I miss read the first post because i was thinking the laundry was located on the same floor as the toilet which the OBC ontario building code does not have and specific codes on.(laundry is treated as any other fixture)

Our code regarding the base of a stack or a horizontal stack offset states that any stack that carries 30 or more fixture units or discharge from two or more stories the connection must be made a minimum of 1.5 meters or 4 feet 11 inches from the vertical to horizontal change in direction.
              It does have any specific codes about suds producing fixtures

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER JAY
                dog
                I miss read the first post because i was thinking the laundry was located on the same floor as the toilet which the OBC ontario building code does not have and specific codes on.(laundry is treated as any other fixture)

Our code regarding the base of a stack or a horizontal stack offset states that any stack that carries 30 or more fixture units or discharge from two or more stories the connection must be made a minimum of 1.5 meters or 4 feet 11 inches from the vertical to horizontal change in direction.
                It does have any specific codes about suds producing fixtures
                Plumber Jay,

I viewed your profile and note that you live in Ontario (Canada). Just out of curiosity, what code do you use there?
                the dog

Comment

Plumber Jay,

Sorry, I did not read your post close enough. I see now the O.B.C.

The UPC does not require any distance from a drain stack, with the exception of "suds producing fixtures" that I know of. But, Utah or some of the others may know of one.
                  the dog

Comment

backwater valves

Is it true ,there good until plumber rick takes them out with a snake?
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                    X