X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennox One Tooth hole saws

Has anyone used these and how do they hold up?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

bob, this discussion came up probably a year ago. i've owed a set of these way before lenox bouth them from wheeler/ rex.

i also get a kick out of them when at a trade show or in house demo, i show them that i can drill a 4-5/8'' hole in a 2x6 with only 1 hand holding the drill

granted i don't suggest this for most people. the nice thing about the 1 tooth hole saw, is it's much faster than a self feed auger, less torque, less sawdust, less strain on the drill motor and operator.

some major drawbacks are, they are expensive, you don't want to hit a nail, and they will only drill a limited depth (3''). they are suppose to drill 400 holes before sharpening is needed.

a nice tool to have, but you still need to have a set of regular bits.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick for the info. Their web site says you can drill at an angle, have you tried that and what were the results?
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
        Thanks Rick for the info. Their web site says you can drill at an angle, have you tried that and what were the results?

havn't tried that. but if you do, put a 5/16'' butterfly bit into the arbor. this will allow for an extended pilot to reach and keep you on center. it also allows for easy core removal as the shank will be loose in the center hole to allow for the core to drop out

watch for nails.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
          havn't tried that. but if you do, put a 5/16'' butterfly bit into the arbor. this will allow for an extended pilot to reach and keep you on center. it also allows for easy core removal as the shank will be loose in the center hole to allow for the core to drop out

watch for nails.

rick.
          Rick,

I never thought of that. You learn something every day.

Usually on wood I use forstner bits (or as some call them "self feeding bits").

While were on the subject of Lennox, what do you guys think of their new line of tools: hand torches, etc?
          the dog

Comment

High priced Chinese junk. My theory on tools: spend more and buy American, or buy Chinese throwaway crap. Lenox used to be US, now it's gussied up ChiCom stuff. Spend the same amount of money and buy Ridgid.

Comment

"Lenox used to be US, now it's gussied up ChiCom stuff."

When did that happen?!!

Comment

Lenox is making a big a push into the handtool market. Everything is made in China.

Comment

lenox 1 tooth bits

As in responce to your inquiry on one tooth bits.... stay away from them if you want to protect your drill. I've been an authorized Milwaukee service center for over 15 years now and the damage that we see imposed on gear trains is horrible. Lenox does not make power tools, so apparently they don't care. I don't know of any POWER TOOL COMPANY that makes a one tooth hole bit as of this date. The bit cuts like crazy, much faster than any hole saw, but when you hit a knot or worse a nail all of the abrupt impact transmits to the gear train of the drill. Yes I know that most of the new hole drills incorporate a clutch on low speed, but 99% of the operators get a false sence of security while using these bits due to the rapid cutting this bit allows you to do, so the drill is usually set to the HI SPEED MODE that does not incorporate a clutch. Many manufactures of power drills frown on repairs during warranty periods if you use thes bits. We tell customer that we will warranty the gear train the first time but if you continue to use these bits the next claim on the gear train will be void.
                  Please remember, I do have the knowledge of the tools from the INSIDE OUT and I do know how they get damaged. I hope this helps. Regards, tooltech.

Comment

Working...
                  X