catch basin for floor drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catch basin for floor drain

I'm having a problem finding a catch basin for a concrete garage floor. All the plumbing supply houses just have the christy boxes (no bottom). I'm planning to install a floor drain in my garage. I'm using 2" abs and want to use a catch basin with a side outlet just in case a socket or something goes rolling down the drain. I have one older christy box with a steel cover to use to keep my check valve accessible for the pipe. I don't need a 2' x 2' drain as that's overkill. Am I wrong for looking in plumbing supply houses? What type of store would carry a concrete or steel catch basin? Worse case, I'll just chip out the side of a round christy box to fit the 2" abs and poor some concrete for the bottom. Any suggestions?

You don't need a catch basin for a floordrain. You need a floordrain. Theses are maufactured by: Jay R Smith, Zurn, Mifab, etc.

A catch basin is designed for exterior storm drains.

Keep in mind that if your drain is going to be connected to your drain, waste, and vent system it needs to be trapped and vented.

Look into a licensed plumber to rough this in if you don't have the knowledge. The health of your family is more important than the cost savings.
    the dog

Comment

plumbcrazy, you could look into the plastic 9''x9'' or 12''x'12'' plastic ones. "nds" makes them and all home depot carries them. the cover is a plastic grate that is ok for normal weight, not traffic weight. these come in both square and round and are typically an outdoor catch basin.

a better choice is the floor drains like dog suggested. another maker is "frank pattern" (blue in color)

i hope that it is just an emergency drain to the outside and not a sewer connection.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It's basically for me to spray down the garage floor without having to spray down the rest of the drive way. It can also double as an emergency drain if the AW ever floods. I didn't want to tie this into the dwv because I didn't want to deal with any sewer gases or back ups into the garage. It's tied into a lateral for my rain gutters that dump into a dry well. So no p-trap or trap primer for this job. Just a catch basin if something drops through the grate that I want to retrieve.

Even better is the city inspector doesn't have any issues with my plan as long as the water doesn't run accross a sidewalk or public pathway.

Some of the plumbing houses had the plastic NDS catch basins, but that won't hold any traffic weight. I'll look up the manufacturers that you guys have suggested.

Comment

Plumb crazy purple

I do not really see the advantage of tying this drain into a outside dry well. there is potential for back up with this route and enviromental issues. i am surprised the inspector is ok with this.
          If you properly tie the garage drain into your dwv system you will not have problems with sewer gases or back ups. If your system did back up wouldn't you rather find the problem with a little bit of sewer on your garage floor rather than out a fixture in your house.
          anyways a drain in my area is considered a fixture and must be tied into the plumbing system. residential garages do not require a oil interceptor but a comercial garages does. i tell you this because even if you do not plan to do any auto type work in your garage the future owner might.

why not try a pencil trap? not the best idea for this situation (but it doesn't seem like the inspector will care.)
          Or try getting a floor drain cover with not such an open grate style. or you could put some sort of screen under the grate.

Comment

"or you could put some sort of screen under the grate."

DUH! I think that's the solution! That's what this forum is all about.

And No, I would not rather have any sewer back up onto my floor. That part of plumbing disgusts me. I think the guys that work the snakes earn every bit of their money. The openings for the rain gutters should help prevent water from coming up in the garage floor, but another thing I was worried about was critters coming up through the floor drain hence the check valve. Sure, if them critters really want to get in, they will.

The city replaced the sewer lateral at the property line and street not too long ago, they removed the c.i. adapter and brass plug I had and left my line open at the clean out. I asked the city about having that replaced, but I'm not holding my breath on that one (pun intended). So, I just put a jim cap over it and left the band loose. This way, if there is a back up, it will pop the jim cap and I won't have to deal with the mess inside the house. Actually, I did a job in another city where the inspector required a pop-up right outside the house.

Comment

PCP
              You would rather the sewer back up in your house then in your garage? that doesn't really make sense.

Comment

Plumber Jay is talking sense here. Plumb Crazy (maybe the name fits) should listen
                the dog

Comment

Sure, the name fits. So what's your point? But I never said I would rather have the sewer back up in my house rather than the garage. I'll take my chances with the jim caps popping off or the back up ending up at the tub.

Comment

Hey guys what are jim caps i have never heard of this.

Comment

Jim caps are just rubber caps that have a hose clamp to tighten around the end of a pipe or fitting.

Comment

Working...
                      X