X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APJ
    In canada some provinces have different codes than others. B.C and Ontario are different. I have used hemp here on hydronic heating but never on domestic water. But i don't think it is illegal for that.

Comment

Hemp and Bosswhite

Bosswhite is a brand name for a paste type pipe jointing compound.

Made by a Brittish company BSS. Their website isnt very Helpful.

You apply Bosswhite over the Hemp. Its oily and has a distinctive smell which non plumbers hate.

i'll take a good look at the tub for some more info tomorrow.

Similarly I dont know what Lead and Okum is.

Comment

Re: Soldering Threaded Brass Fittings

Originally posted by Ski John View Post

1. Can a threaded brass fitting be soldered after being hand tightened?
        2. Can the cracked valve be repaired (brased or epoxied) if the crack is small and not on the pressure side (down stream to faucet)?

I have soldered copper male adapters into faucet threads on many occasions. I cleaned both the faucet and male adapter threads and used flux as a pipe dope. When the fitting threaded in as tight as I care to tighten it I solder it as I would a regular joint. I have never had a problem. I would use a solder that has a wide "pasty" range.. (IE: not straight 95-5)

Regarding question #2, A high content silver brazing rod with flux might do the trick. (high silver = lower temperature and you don't have to get the target brass as hot) Inquire at a welding supply house about the lowest temperature braze rod you can get for brass. However, if the faucet machining becomes distorted due to heat the faucet is still scrap. Considering the cost of the silver solder and your time I personally wouldn't make the investment unless it's an extremely expensive faucet that you must have.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

You are aware this thread is over three years old, right? I'd hope he has the problem solved by now.

Comment

Quite often mip threaded tub/shower valves come with the ability to solder inside and thread outside.Check to see if you can slip a piece of half inch copper into the valve and solder

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
              You are aware this thread is over three years old, right? I'd hope he has the problem solved by now.

No, we must debate threads every four years.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

So glad You finally came out of that 2 year coma . We have a surprise for You!
                We have a new President! And We're all broke!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post

Seriously chuckling out loud. Nope, I didn't see that, I guess I never looked for or noticed dates on these threads. Thanks!
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                    I have soldered copper male adapters into faucet threads on many occasions. I cleaned both the faucet and male adapter threads and used flux as a pipe dope. When the fitting threaded in as tight as I care to tighten it I solder it as I would a regular joint. I have never had a problem. I would use a solder that has a wide "pasty" range.. (IE: not straight 95-5)

Regarding question #2, A high content silver brazing rod with flux might do the trick. (high silver = lower temperature and you don't have to get the target brass as hot) Inquire at a welding supply house about the lowest temperature braze rod you can get for brass. However, if the faucet machining becomes distorted due to heat the faucet is still scrap. Considering the cost of the silver solder and your time I personally wouldn't make the investment unless it's an extremely expensive faucet that you must have.
                    So what solder would you use thats lead free that isn't 95/5 and has a wide pasty range?

Comment

Working...
                    X