No announcement yet.

Welding Code Question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welding Code Question

    I am a certified weldor up here in MA with the most ambiguious codes in the country. I am certified to weld pipe in any position under AWS(american welding socity) structual code D1.1 with 6010, 6010 root and TIG root 7018 cover pass as well as SS. The state of MA just says "a certified welder under direct supervision of a liscenced plumber" . I can not get a straight answer out of anyone as to what I need for a piece of paper. A plumber friend of mine has a big job coming up with lots of welded gas pipe, and I just want to know exactly what the state wants as far as a cert. Thanks, John.
    Last edited by TozziWelding; 10-17-2006, 06:16 PM. Reason: mis print

  • #2

    I'm not sure what type of piping you are welding but generally if you are working under a Plumbing Contractor you should be OK. An exception might be when welding medical gas.

    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!


    • #3
      It is regular old black iron pipe for natural gas/LP. I am gonna work with the certs that I have. If a different cert is needed I will just charge the GC for a days pay and the price of the test.


      • #4
        It always amazes me when people ask if I am a "Certified" weldor. I too am "Qualified" under AWS D1.1. for up to 3/4" plate and pipe > 24" dia. w/7018 electrodes. I have had contractors/customers accept that qualification for everything from crane jib welding to aluminum boat repairs (gas pipe included) for Stick,TIG, MIG and Dual Shield Wire applications. I would wager that 95% of the people asking about "Certs" have no idea what they are talking about in the first place. I would guess that you should have no problems with the upcoming work as whoever wrote that part of the "code" would definately fall into the above mentioned 95%. In reality you should probably have to qualify under an ASME or API code but I would bet dollars to doughnuts the AWS code will be fine.
        BTW, If you are not already a member, stop over at the Hobart Bros. Welding forum. Lots of knowledge and a great group of guys

        Last edited by Aeroweld; 10-16-2006, 03:17 PM.


        • #5
          When I worked in the acft industry, our welders had to periodically recertify on the process and type of metal. I don't recall the frequency (annual, bi-annual, etc and I think it was different for each metal and may have even required more frequency for internal jet engine parts like compressor rings) but it involved welding up coupons in different configurations for each metal (ie, titanium, aluminum, stainless, etc) and sending the coupons to an approved lab for x-ray and fracture testing. With government jobs, it also required a government witness to certify the individual actually did the welding.
          To get hired, you needed to be qualified, but within a short time frame, also had to pass (and maintain) certification to keep the job.
          I guess the term "certified" has to be defined by the people doing the hiring or making the rules.
          Practicing at practical wood working


          • #6
            Thanks Aeroweld, "certified" and "qualified" are always misused. I alwas ask people what I need for a specific cert and they go, "I thought you were certified what do you mean". I know jackasses that are "certified" to weld roof decking with 6022, but I would never trust them to weld a beam seat to a bridge, never mind LP gas pipe in the 5g position with 6010. I am a member at stop on bye, that goes for everybody. I am working on getting as many certs from my Welding God as I can. Nice with the O in weldOr, most people don't know the difference, but I caught it.


            • #7
              I'm also a welder

              try weld talk forum. also shop talk. want a great read? follow KING OF OBSELITE an shop floor talk. latest project poontoon boat. he runs cat trains
              way up in canada Tool
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .


              • #8
                I would think that the best method to get the information you're looking for would be to contact the inspector. He is the one who would be asking for the certs, if he asks at all.

                Here in California I have never had an inspector ask for welding certs on a private job, even though the UPC requires pipe welders to be certified. I have had to present certs. for my welders in certain aerospace and public works projects, but the specific certifications were listed in the contract specifications.

                Read the specs. in the contract, if none are listed, and you have concerns, check with the actual inspector.
                the dog