X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water recirculating

I want to install a small recirc pump on my hot water line to service my far off bath. I will put a return line in. Question when I bring it back to the water heater I would tie it into the cold water supply. Do I need a check valve at this point?
    I also want to install a switch that would only run the pump as needed. Say for 60-90 seconds. Anyone know of a source for something like this? Thanks

Yes, you need a check valve, and also an expansion tank if you don't have one already.

Normally these pumps are wired into both a timer and an aquastat. That's a little thermostat that clips onto the return line and allows the pump to run until you start getting hot water back.

Grundfos (& others) sell a little circulator pump that comes with the timer and aquastat built in.

Comment

I agree with Ralph on the check valve question.

But......if you want a switch that controls the recirc. pump for 60 to 90 seconds, why have a recirc system at all?

Of course it is possible, wire your pump to a switch, turn it on when you like. You can get the same effect by turning the hot water on on your shower.
      the dog

Comment

what is the purpose of the expansion tank in this application.

If your far off washroom is in the upstairs you maybe able just to put a return in and have the water naturally recirc itself. As the hot water cools it falls back down to the hwt. I have heard of people doing this but i don't know how well it works. But you would have nothing to lose in trying this as if it didn't work you could then put a pump in. all pipes must have fall back to the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER JAY
          what is the purpose of the expansion tank in this application.

If your far off washroom is in the upstairs you maybe able just to put a return in and have the water naturally recirc itself. As the hot water cools it falls back down to the hwt. I have heard of people doing this but i don't know how well it works. But you would have nothing to lose in trying this as if it didn't work you could then put a pump in. all pipes must have fall back to the tank.
          a buddy of mine does this on 90% of his repipes and it works great. no pump, no power, no wear and tear, no problem

rick
          phoebe it is

Comment

another approach

I've had good sucess with the Grundfos home comfort pump and manifold
            around $300 no new piping install in about 1 hr Tool
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

tool
              I am not aware of what you are suggesting him to do?

Comment

are you familar with this set up?

have this in my own home. check out their site pump and timer screw on top of heater , manifold plumbs under furtherst vanity. no additional plumbing! nice for slab homes
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                X