Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This plumbing forum on here is great. Here is another site where you see a lot of knowledgeable professionals.
    http://www.contractortalk.com Every trade is represented there.

Comment

In British Columbia, we have a BC Code, and the National Code. The National Code comes out every however many years, and the BC Code is just the National Code with amendments to suit our local circumstances and it comes out 1-3 years after a new National code comes out. So the 1998 BC Plumbing Code, which is part 7 of our BC Building code, is an amended version of the 1995 National plumbing Code. The current BC Code & National Code are virtually identical with a few minor differences. I'm told the next edition of the BC Plumbing Code, which will be based on the 2005 National Plumbing Code, will be 99% of the National Code, so virtually the same. In fact the only real difference between the current BC Code and the National Code is circuit venting (and a few other minor differences) which will be I'm told, added to the 2005 National Code, hence why I'm guessing the new National Code & the new BC Code will be very much the same.

This is how every other province, as far as I know, writes, & amends their code; base them on the latest edition of the National Code. I used to work with a guy from Ontario who moved out here, and he wrote what he said was his "Ontario" Plumbing ticket, but he didn't write his red seal for some reason. IN BC, we don't have a British Columbia Plumbing Ticket. Maybe Ontario does it that way because they feel as if they're the centre of the Universe or they have to be special. It's just your Red Seal or nothing. You could though call yourself a plumber for the most part, after completing level 3 schooling as that is when you have gone over the entire BC plumbing code, but you don't address the National Code until Level 4 where you go over it and then write your Inter Provincial Red Seal. The only code that you might want to note isn't National in scope i.e. you don't get a red seal for it which certifies you accross Canada, is your Gas "B" ticket, which is a provincial ticket.

The bottomline though is Canada has some of the highest, if not the highest, Plumbing codes & standards in the world. Plumbing school where we live is borderline entry level engineering with the pipe sizing and rules that govern it. The President of the school I go to (have 3 levels of Plumbing completed to date, one more to go) said he had an inspector come to BC from the UK. This former inspector wanted to get his ceritifcation so he could work as an inspector over here and asked the president of the school where to write his test, thinking it was some little easy peanut test. Well the President says, hold your horses, I'm going to sit you down into a level 2 class so you can learn your code and the other things you'll need to know, and let me know what how you find the schooling. After his first day in school this former inspector from the UK came up to the President and was blown away and shocked at how complicated the code was to learn here. Suffice to say he opted to sit through levels 2, 3, & 4 to learn everything before he wrote the Inter Provincial Red Seal. This is an experienced inspector! And he didn't have the schooling that a 2nd year apprentice did here in BC.

The bottomline is you will learn more than anything out in the field, but the understanding you gain from schooling helps complete the puzzle the way I see it. You don't really truly learn the code until you see it in the field. The best way to learn the code is to screw up, and then have your Journeyman, or inspector point out what you did wrong. You will never forget that code clause. But having the code interpreted for you in school, as well as learning pipe sizing and things like that, gives you a great perception of what you are doing exactly. It's a shame they don't have higher plumbing standards in other places. Oh well, my plumbing ticket will have a red stamp on it that might as well be gold plated. Looking forward to gettin 'er done.

Comment

Another proud Canadian

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
        The bottomline though is Canada has some of the highest, if not the highest, Plumbing codes & standards in the world.
        No doubt about it!

I worked for 15yrs (non licensed) in B.C. Mostly in the caribou and okanagan. In 2000 I moved out to Edmonton, Alberta and landed a job with a large constuction based plumbing contractor. They insited I get certified so off to school I went (N.A.I.T.) I originally thought I could challenge the equivelency exam but they wanted me to start from square one, so I did. Good thing too. I figured how hard could it be? I should be able to skate right through no problem, right? Not quite. It was tuff! 3yrs of hard work later I had my plumbing ticket (w/redseal) and my class B gasfitter ticket. Yahhoo!

my plumbing ticket will have a red stamp on it that might as well be gold plated. Looking forward to gettin 'er done.
        Right on buddy! Its a great feeling when its all done!
        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

contractortalk.com is pretty good
          God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

Originally posted by davevb View Post
            contractortalk.com is pretty good
            I thought it was pretty good until I kept receiving unwanted emails. I had to block them. I came back to the old favorite. Ridgid. As a plumber I still use Ridgid hand tools, and their site is commercial free. Well.....I mean their site is obviously commercially motivated, but they do not sell my email address, send me unwanted emails, or censor comments about their products. And, they have great plumbing mins on this forum.
            the dog

Comment

Re: Other Plumbing forums?

In British Columbia, we have a BC Code, and the National Code. The National Code comes out every however many years, and the BC Code is just the National Code with amendments to suit our local circumstances and it comes out 1-3 years after a new National code comes out. So the 1998 BC Plumbing Code, which is part 7 of our BC Building code, is an amended version of the 1995 National plumbing Code. The current BC Code & National Code are virtually identical with a few minor differences. I'm told the next edition of the BC Plumbing Code, which will be based on the 2005 National Plumbing Code, will be 99% of the National Code, so virtually the same. In fact the only real difference between the current BC Code and the National Code is circuit venting (and a few other minor differences) which will be I'm told, added to the 2005 National Code, hence why I'm guessing the new National Code & the new BC Code will be very much the same.

This is how every other province, as far as I know, writes, & amends their code; base them on the latest edition of the National Code. I used to work with a guy from Ontario who moved out here, and he wrote what he said was his "Ontario" Plumbing ticket, but he didn't write his red seal for some reason. IN BC, we don't have a British Columbia Plumbing Ticket. Maybe Ontario does it that way because they feel as if they're the centre of the Universe or they have to be special. It's just your Red Seal or nothing. You could though call yourself a plumber for the most part, after completing level 3 schooling as that is when you have gone over the entire BC plumbing code, but you don't address the National Code until Level 4 where you go over it and then write your Inter Provincial Red Seal. The only code that you might want to note isn't National in scope i.e. you don't get a red seal for it which certifies you accross Canada, is your Gas "B" ticket, which is a provincial ticket.

The bottomline though is Canada has some of the highest, if not the highest, Plumbing codes & standards in the world. Plumbing school where we live is borderline entry level engineering with the pipe sizing and rules that govern it. The President of the school I go to (have 3 levels of Plumbing completed to date, one more to go) said he had an inspector come to BC from the UK. This former inspector wanted to get his ceritifcation so he could work as an inspector over here and asked the president of the school where to write his test, thinking it was some little easy peanut test. Well the President says, hold your horses, I'm going to sit you down into a level 2 class so you can learn your code and the other things you'll need to know, and let me know what how you find the schooling. After his first day in school this former inspector from the UK came up to the President and was blown away and shocked at how complicated the code was to learn here. Suffice to say he opted to sit through levels 2, 3, & 4 to learn everything before he wrote the Inter Provincial Red Seal. This is an experienced inspector! And he didn't have the schooling that a 2nd year apprentice did here in BC.

The bottomline is you will learn more than anything out in the field, but the understanding you gain from schooling helps complete the puzzle the way I see it. You don't really truly learn the code until you see it in the field. The best way to learn the code is to screw up, and then have your Journeyman, or inspector point out what you did wrong. You will never forget that code clause. But having the code interpreted for you in school, as well as learning pipe sizing and things like that, gives you a great perception of what you are doing exactly. It's a shame they don't have higher plumbing standards in other places. Oh well, my plumbing ticket will have a red stamp on it that might as well be gold plated. Looking forward to gettin 'er done.

Say hi to rob at pacific vocational school you must be at the burnaby school eh i had ian cornwall for 1,2,3 and eric and dan for fourth a fking fantastic school. remember like rob the president says. your success is unavoidable. and learning is a measurable change in behVior due to experience. if your a plumber in canada get your red seal theres very few countrys wheree you can get certified for the whole country.

Comment

Working...
              X