Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Consumer Reports Cordless Drills report.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craftsman are 1.4AmpHr.

Took some digging but finally found exact number on Sears website. Craftsman 19.2V's are rated at 1.4AmpHr.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfno.0

Also, was looking at the tools some more and noted reciprocating saw had adjustable foot...by allen head that attaches to tool. Not much range...but adjustable.

Surprising to see 1.4AmpHr Craftsman beating 1.7AmpHr Ryobi 18V OnePlus. I'm assuming only reason it beat Ridgid is because Consumer Reports tested drill with standard battery...not sure rating...instead of newer drill that comes in kit with 1.9AmpHr MaxHC or even newer with 2.5AmpHr.

Comment

Originally posted by dsydorko View Post
      ...I was merely offering the link as a resource that sure the heck beats Amazon.com as a way of researching some of the cordless drills and drivers out there. I bought a Consumers Reports magazine once a year or two ago. It was actually like a shrunken down magazine- more like a booklet. ...I have not found anything else like this online for free, even the toolbarn blog is at least as useful as amazon.com or consumer reports reviews that we can't see unless we pay to become a member.
      Jeez, tough crowd.
      I agree that it is another helpful resource. My point was that it wasn't a very definitive one...kind of meandered all over.

I agree that Consumer Reports is really a dissapointment in journalism. They describe some ratings...while glazing over others. For example all you get for "runtime" is "work per time." HUH!?!? At what load..What work...? "Power" is
      twisting force for tightening and loosening." Huh again! At what speed...stall??? They mention testing some drills that never show in their ratings. They mention weight and volts but don't check out AmpHrs in the batteries...which is easy to measure with the right equipment. I've noticed their reviews are getting sparcer and sparcer. They often mention more info being available on the web to bait you into paying for a web subscription on top of the newstand one.

How about real power numbers. How about real torque at speed numbers.

While I appreciate the work that Consumer Reports does, and I have learned from them...and continue to subscribe, I wish they weren't the only game in town for non-biased reviewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
        Took some digging but finally found exact number on Sears website. Craftsman 19.2V's are rated at 1.4AmpHr.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfno.0

Also, was looking at the tools some more and noted reciprocating saw had adjustable foot...by allen head that attaches to tool. Not much range...but adjustable.

Surprising to see 1.4AmpHr Craftsman beating 1.7AmpHr Ryobi 18V OnePlus. I'm assuming only reason it beat Ridgid is because Consumer Reports tested drill with standard battery...not sure rating...instead of newer drill that comes in kit with 1.9AmpHr MaxHC or even newer with 2.5AmpHr.

Don't mind a batteries amp-hour rating too much. It's not a reliable comparison figure between different tools. A-h. ratings are not even always measured the same between manufacturers. It's usually a good guide line to know where a product stands in a manufacturers line-up but thats about it. It also carries no significant relevance to the actual endurance of a tool because the motor and mechanism efficiency is what really dictates how fast the battery will be drained. The quality of the cells used also matters. Cells rated at the same rating will not always charge as well, etc. Its completely possible for a tool with a much lower ah rated battery to outperform another with a higher rating. The entire package needs to be tested.

Comment

It would be nice to see more "facts"

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
          Don't mind a batteries amp-hour rating too much. It's not a reliable comparison figure between different tools. A-h. ratings are not even always measured the same between manufacturers. It's usually a good guide line to know where a product stands in a manufacturers line-up but thats about it. It also carries no significant relevance to the actual endurance of a tool because the motor and mechanism efficiency is what really dictates how fast the battery will be drained. The quality of the cells used also matters. Cells rated at the same rating will not always charge as well, etc. Its completely possible for a tool with a much lower ah rated battery to outperform another with a higher rating. The entire package needs to be tested.
          AmpHr is one important factor in comparing runtime or potential performance. I wouldn't trust the manufacturers ratings. I would hook a battery up to a power resistor and run a drain test...very easy to do...and very accurate...done all the time in RC racing.

I agree that the whole system should be tested too. Motor and transmission efficiency is a big factor, like you said. I'm dissappointed CR didn't do a little research relative to power ratings. If they had, they could have used the industry UWO rating and test methods perscribed. The UWO test methods are designed to be reliable and repeatable.

Speaking of differences in runtime vs. advertised battery size, it is surprising the 1.8V Ryobi drill with 1.7AmpHr battery performed worse than the 19.2AmpHr Craftsman drill with 1.4AmpHr battery....after all Ryobi made both drills and they most likely have the same motors and transmissions. The Craftsman has 26.9W of total power, while the Ryobi has 30.6W of power in it's battery. Is it possible the motor runs considerably more efficienctly at 19.2V or did Sears specify something that made it's transmission more efficient...better or different bearings?

Or is it a fluke of testing or product variance? Perhaps the Ryobi battery pack wasn't conditioned properly. Maybe it was a poor pack to begin with. Maybe Ryobi overspecifies it's packs, while Sears gives a conservative rating. It was interesting to note that Sears rates the 19.2V Impact wrench to only 900inlb of torque, while Ryobi rates theirs to 1,100inlbs.
          Last edited by Disaster; 11-15-2006, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure Ryobi/TTI actually makes the 19.2v craftsman tools. Their 18v tools are in fact just dark gray Ryobi tools but the 19.2v look like they are made by someone else. I had this very handy little list that had they serial number key which could tell you which manufacturer built the tool for craftsman by the first three numbers of the model number. Now if I can just find it again.

Comment

They were definitely designed by the same team.

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              I'm not sure Ryobi/TTI actually makes the 19.2v craftsman tools. Their 18v tools are in fact just dark gray Ryobi tools but the 19.2v look like they are made by someone else. I had this very handy little list that had they serial number key which could tell you which manufacturer built the tool for craftsman by the first three numbers of the model number. Now if I can just find it again.
              They were definitely designed by the same team. I have the OnePlus 18V set and have handled the Craftsman at Sears. Some of the tools are near exact duplicates....with just the most minor features added...like LED worklights. Someone mentioned that a 9 before the number designates a Ryobi designed tool at Sears. Probably, it is more correct to say TTI makes the tools (parent company of Ryobi and Ridgid.)

By the way, it is also clear that TTI makes the 20V Lithium line of Craftsman tools. There are several features that are exactly the same (handle on drill for example.) The specs are are a little lower with only 20V and 2.4AmpHr batteries...instead of 24V and 3AmpHr and the price is higher, when you compare the latest Ridgid prices.

I especially like the little fluorescent light that comes with the Craftsman set. It is offered by Ryobi in Europe but for some reason they haven't released it in their US toolset yet. They have a couple other tools that aren't yet offered in the Sears Craftsman C3 set too...like the buffer and fan.

Comment

fyi- sears is offering a $75 gift card with purchase of the bosch compact tough 14.4 and 18 volt drills. i bought the 14.4 for end cost of $68 + tax. it is sooo much nicer than the ryobi 18 volt that i've been using.

rb

Comment

Found it!

http://www.owwm.com/craftsman/Manufacturers.asp The date in the doc is a little old so the latest stuff is probably not in there and they repeat numbers sometimes. The number 900 at least used to be for Dewalt made tools. I have a 15 year old craftsman drill with the 900 code and it is in fact a dewalt drill.

Comment

Link...in store coupon???

Originally posted by rocky brown View Post
                    fyi- sears is offering a $75 gift card with purchase of the bosch compact tough 14.4 and 18 volt drills. i bought the 14.4 for end cost of $68 + tax. it is sooo much nicer than the ryobi 18 volt that i've been using.

rb

That is a good deal. Love the little Bosch "Tough" drills. Can always use the gift card as a present or for a later purchase. Did you see this online or as an instore special?

Comment

$75 dollar gift card rebate.

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                      That is a good deal. Love the little Bosch "Tough" drills. Can always use the gift card as a present or for a later purchase. Did you see this online or as an instore special?
                      Stopped by Sears today and found out gift card deal isn't quite so nice. It requires you to buy the drill plus a "power box." The Power box they had above the drill was the Bosch radio and it cost $179!!!! It was also a rebate which required you to send in the receipt and skus from both products.

Details:
                      "BUY EITHER A BOSCH #25146 18-VOLT OR #27389 14.4-VOLT COMPACT TOUGH CORDLESS DRILL PLUS A#26568 BOSCH POWER BOX AND RECEIVE A $75.00 SEARS GIFT CARD VIA MAIL IN REBATE."

javascriptpenRebate('http://www.sears.com/sr/product/rebates/generateRebateForm.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical =TOOL&product_id=00925146000')

If you got a gift card by just buying the drill you got a heck of a deal.

Comment

So Long, Orange! I'll miss you....sorta

Well my brief fling with Ridgid was fun, seemed like great tools but most of the lighter more manageable (not to mention affordable) models of the drills and impacts have a lot of battery run-time issues. And topped off by the lack of availability (Ridgid tools and accessories like batteries) here in Canada I bailed, returned what I had, and bought this set:
                        http://www.makita.ca/index.cfm?event=tool&id=8
                        came with a bonus xenon worklight, but a bag instead of the hard case, for CA$399 (about US$350)
                        I think the 14.4V LXT tools are too new on the North American scene to find many reviews but the 18V LXT's generally get favorable reviews and I found this (few comments about halfway down the page):
                        http://blogs.toolbarn.com/brianm/arc...1_archive.html
                        I might regret my decision in the long run, but I was tired of not being able to get what I wanted out of Ridgid and the HD stores up here.
                        I thought I'd save a pile of cash and just get the Ryobi tools- but I just didn't like them, the look, the feel.
                        I'd really love a Panasonic 15.6V set but hard to find and way too expensive here.
                        I know I can buy lots of stuff online from the USA, but many of those online retailers won't ship to Canada, I wasn't sure of the warranty implications, and it wouldn't be easy to return or exchange if I got a lemon or changed my mind.
                        Disaster- I'll keep checking to see what you finally decided to plunk your cash down on!
                        Ciao!!!

Comment

the sign at the sears store where i bought the drill didn't say anything about having to buy 2 products. i'll dig up the reciept and rebate paperwork later and post what it says- maybe i didn't get such a good deal after all...

rb

Comment

Originally posted by dsydorko View Post
                            ......bought this set:
                            http://www.makita.ca/index.cfm?event=tool&id=8
                            came with a bonus xenon worklight, but a bag instead of the hard case, for CA$399 (about US$350)
                            That is a sweet little drill and impact gun. 3.5lbs yet 3AmpHr battery. I wonder if the little 14.4V Makita LiIon drill I saw at HD was the same one with a wimpy 1.5AmpHr battery? I also like that it comes with a 1/2 inch chuck which some of the other lighter drills lack. The power/weight/size ratio is better than the Panasonic. I'll keep my eye out for it to arrive around here.

http://www.makita.co.jp/global/produ...40/bdf440.html

In the U.S. I can seem to find the older 2.6AmpHr NiMh set for a good price ($217) and the lone impact wrench in LiIon for $299...but not the set like you have.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BTD130F...3?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Comment

NiMh set.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6935FDW...3?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Comment

Even their compact 18V one is only 3.7lbs

http://www.makita.co.jp/global/produ...50/bdf450.html

Comment

Working...
                                X