Favorite Spade Handle drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Spade Handle drill

My favorite is my 1663-20 Milwaukee compact drill w/ the speed dial. Speed can be adjusted via a wheel from 115rpm to the normal 450 rpm. As a DYIer I love this drill. I set the speed wheel to about 200rpm, and using power auger earth augers(I HAVE THE 2"and 5"),I have drill holes in soil to plant plants,bulbs and fertizer sticks. Worst I have used is the DeWalt DW-130. It's wattage is 580 cpmpared to my 1663-20's 770. Both are 7 amp drills. My Makita 6203H pistol grip 1/2" 0-550 6.5 amp(748 watts)drill outpowered the DeWalt.
    Let's hear 'bout your spade handles!!!!!BET THERE ARE SOME OLDIES STILL EARNING THEIR KEEP!!!!
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Milwaukee 1754 series of the old timer 5/8 and 3/4 versions. What's wild is that even though they use the same model number for a long time, there were some major internal changes from time to time. The 5/8 were geared for a faster spindle speed. These are drills you need to see in person. Very very nice case styling and they were BUILT. The newer 1854 has more power and better safety features. The older power tools demand great user respect or soon you'll end up at the E R.

Comment

DeWalt DW130 = sad tool design, but they do lots of work. To me it's an oversized pistol grip with rear handle and junky side-top handle added... Look at the DW131 sometime, which is more tool, but lacks VS. It's nothing fancy but has some guts inside and gets the job done. Milwaukee 1660 is better yet, but try putting one of them in a case. The non removable power cord coming out the end of the lower handle is a PITA at times. Some users love it. It is a well made workhorse for a 1/2 spade handle drill and your 1663 is the top of the line. Good investment there, Akita.

Note: The DW131 started as a B & D 1321, but it has been upgraded in several ways. The old 1321 is not the tool the DW131 of today is. Besides a motor upgrade the gears and spindle have been beefed up. The old 1321s had spur cut cheapo gears in them. I feel the Milwaukee 1660 is a bit better built but I do not like the power cord coming out the end of the handle.

To each our own. What one person likes the other may not.
      Last edited by Woussko; 11-12-2006, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Since I really like my spade(compact in milwaukee speak) drill;I thought it would be fun to see what kinds people use. Guess I was wrong;OH WELL LEAST I TRIED(or maybe some prefer to overwork a pistol 1/2"drill or use a big D handle)!!!!!

Comment

I think it's all about spending the $ on a good big drill. People somehow think a 8 or 9 Amp 1/2" pistol grip drill can and will do anything asked of it. We know better, don't we?

By the way I may get a Milwaukee 1663 if I find a good one at a good price that's in very good condition or better yet, a nice new one. I've tried them and they are special. No other big beefy 1/2 spade handle drill has all the goodies of that one.

Comment

Both of those drills are great drills.the dw 130 is one of the best .that motor was used on the hougen 10904 magnetic drill for decades(until hougen switch 2 years ago to a makita motor and are expeirencing quit a few problems)Jancy manufactoring has been using the dw130 for decades to on there jm101 mag drill.Hogen started out using the milw. motor then switched to the black and decker about 35 years ago.
            A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Originally posted by chic View Post
              Both of those drills are great drills.the dw 130 is one of the best .that motor was used on the hougen 10904 magnetic drill for decades(until hougen switch 2 years ago to a makita motor and are expeirencing quit a few problems)Jancy manufactoring has been using the dw130 for decades to on there jm101 mag drill.Hogen started out using the milw. motor then switched to the black and decker about 35 years ago.
              I briefly owned a Dw130;I was dissapointed in power and took it back to Lowes and bought my Milwaukee 1663-20 at Grainger. I would like to try the DW-131 the Dw130's big brother(715 watts vs the 130's 580watts{both 7 amp motors just the 131 more effecient}). The 9 amp Makita looks like a real brute and the PC 8 amper looks well made.

Comment

I have an old B&D that I bought over 30 yrs ago. It was reconditioned and I think I paid around 20 bucks for it. That thing is a work horse, 1/2 H.P., reverseable and (geared down) only turns 550 rpm. The label has long since wore off so I can't give you a model numder. I do know that it the bit grabs it will take you for a ride. I didn't know until I looked at it a few minutes ago but the chuck was made by Ridgid.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Tod,

Could the name on the chuck be ROHM from Germany? Or maybe it's a contract made one. I'll assume it's a heavy duty keyed chuck. Correct me as needed. Do you have a picture of the drill? Below is a picture link for a B & D model 1321 which they made for a long time. Today the DeWalt DW131 has replaced it and is a bit more powerful and has a few other improvements. On the 1321 the standard chuck was a Jacobs 34BA-1/2 if I remember right. Might be a 34B-1/2.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of it. The chuck is a Ridgid it says Ridgid Supereme on it.
                    Attached Files
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I have an old corded B & D 3/8 electric drill with a metal body on it that I bought in 1971 from an auto repair parts store. It originally had a Ridgid chuck on it (as bought). The chuck gave up after 20 years of hard use, so I replaced it. The drill still is going strong (gets too hot to hold at times but still keeps turnin' the bit!! From the similarities in the body looks, I think this could very well be an old Black & Decker of the industrial grade.
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Tod, Thanks for giving my old brain a wake up call. Now I remember them. GoFer B & D did have a large INDUSTRIAL line of powers tools as I'm sure you know. When Makita come over here strong, they got into price wars and the quality of many B & D tools feel off. With the reputation problem, B & D got the DeWalt name and started up the Yellow line. There's lots more to it all as for some time B & D sort of made 3 grades. Orange = Home Owner Dark gray = Serious DIY and then the had the Industrial line. If you look over the DeWalt tools, you can see some are updated versions of older B & D insustrial tools but made more for contractors rather than factory users. If you can find a good tech at B & D - Dewalt to talk to, you'll find they still make many special power tools not generally sold to the open market engineered for factories and such. GoFer Got any pics of your drill?

Comment

Akita,

Funny I happen to come upon this post after buying a 1663-20. Let me tell you.. I am glad I got this model. I look high and low and had my heart set on the PC 7564 8 amp drill... Couldn't for the life of me find it as everybody and their great Uncle say its been discontinued. So I ended up the the next best... 1663-20... But in all honesty, I don't know why i considered any other model.. I use it for mixing mud and the variable speed rocks.. And it not being a trigger speed control makes it that much better. Wanted to get the DW130 before they were all gone.. Now the DW130VR (made in mexico as opposed to USA)

Looks like I made the right choice!

Comment

Lam

The PC while not a bad drill is no match for the Milwaukee. In a Milwaukee you could look at the 1660 single speed. The 1663 is a really nice tool with the electronic speed control and the removable power cord. In addition I assure you it's a built drill. If you need to use an extension cord, please use no lighter than 12 gauge up to 50 feet and 10 gauge up to 100 feet. Don't be fooled by the 7 Amp rating. When that drill is really working hard it draws more current. Please don't force it or abuse it and you'll have it a good long time. If you want a cute little case, look at Home Depot. They have alumimum generic cases that looks something like the 26 on the DEAL OR NO DEAL TV show. With top handle off and cord removed it just fits. For $20 for the case, I think it's not bad. Remove the insides first. If you do use your 1663 a good bit, about once a year take it to a good power repair shop for grease changing and checking of the carbon motor bushes.

Comment

Thanks for the information Woussko.

The case info was handy and I will keep the info in the back of my head when reach for an extension cord.

Funny thing about purchasing a large drill like this is that not 1 store carries all the brands.. You have to go to different stores to try to get a feel for them. Unfortunately, nobody had the 1663 in stock so I purchased it based on a hunch, the variable speed, and the extended handle vs the 1660 and all the other equivelant drills.

You wouldn't happen to know if these 1663s make a lot of gear noise do they?

LKL

Comment

Working...
                              X